saw the ex

skeptik224

My ex and I have been broken up for 6 1/2 months. It's a long story. We broke up because we were at 2 different places in our lives. We still loved each other when we broke up - and months after. She would contact me every few weeks but then didn't for 5 weeks which I was ok with seeing as it was for my benefit. Well, I saw her this past Sunday. I knew I would. We play softball for the same league. She was sitting by the field that I had to play on. She said "Hi, M****" I went up to her and hugged her. She said that it's been way too long. She started rambling on about her game and then I had to walk away to get ready for mine. The new person she's dating was sitting off to the side. This guy is NOTHING like me or my ex. He just sat there - didn't talk to anyone, didn't socialize or anything. My ex is very social. I found it funny that he just sat there. Throughout the game, I caught my ex staring at me - at one point, she even cheered me on. She came and sat down by one of my friends and was just chatting (still, the other guy was just sitting off to the side). She got up and started walking toward me since I was standing alone. But...as soon as one of my friends came up to me, she quickly veered in the other direction. I had to go up to her and pay for 2 of my teammates (she's on the softball board). Someone asked me what I was doing, and I said I'm just paying her for last night. (A TOTAL JOKE!) She luaghed and smacked me. We joked around a little then I walked back to my friends. When I was leaving, I walked up to her, put my hand on her shoulder and said "I'll see you later." She was talking with other people which was to my benefit. She gave me this really sad look but said ok, bye. It was kind of like she didn't want me to go. I didn't hug her goodbye like I normally would have which I'm sure suprisded her, too.

My question is what are the chances that she was thinking about us when she was staring at me? and why would she go date someone the exact opposite of me? (and her) I can't help but think she's dating him so the spotlight could be more on her. He's not good looking which I assume would make her feel better about herself. I mean this guy had the personality of a wet mop. My ex just totally left this guy out of the loop. I know he knows her friends, but wouldn't you think that she'd try to include him in the conversations at least with other people. (I know why she didn't include him in the conversation with me) My ex even had to walk away for a little while and didn't even say anything to him nor ask if he wanted to go with her. WTF???

UT_longhorn

skeptic...

im glad you held up so well during the encounter with your ex. it does seem like it did affect you a bit, and im sure you're thinking about possibilities of reconciliation.

whatever the reasons might be, the fact of the matter is she is dating this guy. and maybe she was reminicing about you when she was watching you play...but ur going to drive yourself nuts asking all the what ifs. i'd say, take the encouter face value and try not to read too much into it.

How are you holding up these days anyway?

that sounds like a great scenario, actually, and you handled it really well. I'll place a bet that she calls you in the next day or two....

• Author

Thanks for the advice. I've been holding up well. The most healing I did was when we didn't talk for 5 weeks. Seeing that this guy has nothing on me made me feel better. After the game, I asked a teammate if I put on a good enough show for the ex. He replied "what show, weren't you just being you?" HA! I still think about her, and I still love her, but I'm ok. I've been working my ass off in therapy which was the best thing to come out of the situation. Softball will make for an interesting summer. I'm trying not to think about the "what if's" but you know how hard that is. How about you??? I haven't been on the boards much to check up on you.

BBetsy - thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. You sound like a lot of other people that I've talked to about the situation. They seem to think she'll be in contact with me soon. I know I'll be seeing her on Sundays for the season, and I think I got the hardest part out of the way. It was kind of like the sayings "out of sight, out of mind." Since I was out of her sight, she didn't have to think about me. Now, it won't be that easy.

PlentyLV007

After 2 years of my break up with my ex I have not (THANK GOD!) ran into him. If I did...I wouldn't know what I'd do.

:confused:

Is that weird...?

I think I'd Freak!

BTW...my ex was my first love. I broke up with him and I was hurt for a year.

Recovery zone I say. :o