Deadend streets and cul-de-sacs

LuckyM

Ever feel like your entire dating experiences are merely a series of short dead end streets (cul-de-sacs) NO EXIT? I do. After 3 decades of trying to find dates and dating, that's what it is. You drive down a street, turn down a road and you think it will go all the way through, but no, suddenly it dead ends. It's over and you have to drive back to where you started and look for another street---this goes on and on until I gave up. Of course, there is no map or GPS. Sometimes you see that the street goes nowhere but you keep on going. As one GF said to me when she broke up--well, this was not going anywhere anyway---meaning marriage. She was right but I missed her. A dead end road could be a one night stand.

You could say that the experiences themselves are worth something--what?

Bitter lessons? This is why I am depressed, I think. What I missed out on and dating for me is much harder than when I was younger. I don't want a companion type.

Or you try to touch the flower and get stung by a bee.

Edited by LuckyM
  • Like 1

I see them more as off-ramps to potentially interesting adventures. That revelation occurred probably mid-way through the process, so late 20's-early 30's. I took a five year break from dating and tried some other off-ramps in life.

The cool thing about a freeway is there are plenty of off-ramps and on-ramps. If things don't work out, or even if they do and the experience ends, it's back onto the freeway of life.

• Author

Well, you feel this way? Like your life is a maze? (Not amazing)---

no escaping the maze, except through death or a radically new lifestyle in a different location. Is this too pessimistic for you?

Some people have it easy. They marry their highschool or college sweetheart and all goes well--and have no need to post on LS. My parent's generation in the old days were like that.