Anyone else used anti depressants after a break up?

Msday91

Hi all

I’m a person who has tbh a negative self image and whenever something I love goes wrong in mg life I usually find MYself myself blaming myself

My last relationship broke down and I blame myself for it. Infact I blame myself for lots of negative thing so in my life and they probably are my fault.

I’ve started therapy and my doctor has prescribed me anti depressants - citalopram 20mg one month supply.

Has anyone else taken them or any other brand? What was your experience like? When did they kick in? Did you also take them for a break up etc?im quite in despair and want to feel ‘ happy ‘ again and stop blaming myself or to see things differently

Ps we were together from December to August.

Please don’t share an ‘ opinion’ I’d rather hear actual testimonials

• Like 2
Hi all

I’m a person who has tbh a negative self image and whenever something I love goes wrong in mg life I usually find MYself myself blaming myself

My last relationship broke down and I blame myself for it. Infact I blame myself for lots of negative thing so in my life and they probably are my fault.

I’ve started therapy and my doctor has prescribed me anti depressants - citalopram 20mg one month supply.

Has anyone else taken them or any other brand? What was your experience like? When did they kick in? Did you also take them for a break up etc?im quite in despair and want to feel ‘ happy ‘ again and stop blaming myself or to see things differently

Ps we were together from December to August.

Please don’t share an ‘ opinion’ I’d rather hear actual testimonials

Yes, you are definitely not the only one who has had to take antidepressants after a break up. I know several. Infact, I used to work with a wonderful lady who was a successful accountant. This was in 2010 and she was the accountant of this company I worked for. She opened up to me about being on anti depressants.

I have struggled with depression my entire life but I am bipolar and for me anti depressants didn't work. I needed a mood stabilizer. I had a situation with a man who brought on depressive symptoms despite treatment. It is very common!!!!!

Now from my experience with medication, they take time, and quite often experimenting different ones to find the right ones that work for you. They also don't work themselves. People often need therapy and other supports along side with the antidepressant. You are very normal so don't ever question that.

• Like 1

I take Citalopram. Aside from fixing long term depression (not relationship related), they've made me less obsessional in my thinking. They've also slowed down my emotional reaction time, giving me a little time to think before acting. In short, I feel "normal" when I use them.

We're about to trial my autistic son on them shortly. For him, it's not about depression, but in trying to stop circular thoughts which get stuck in his head.

• Like 2

Not after a breakup.

I was prescribed Xanax while I was in college. I had a heavy course load. Young wife. New baby. Lots of responsibilities.

I wasn't “depressed”. I was just under a lot of pressure. A pill wasn’t my answer. I just needed to learn to cope.

To me, all the drug did was make me sluggish and lower my sex drive. It did not enhance my ability to deal with my life.

I took it for a short period of time, stopped, and never took it or any other anti-depressant ever again.

I realize you don't want opinions but mine is that you should only get medical advice from medical professionals not random people on the internet. A smattering of testimonials about a drug is not scientific evidence.

Best wishes but I suspect you will be better served learning to build your self confidence & self esteem rather than taking a "happy pill" to mask the temporary bad feelings which accompany a break up. I hope this medication regime is being accompanied by talk therapy.

• Like 2
  • Author

Yep I am going to therapy too. I know I don’t like the idea of it masking my pain rather than dealing with it but I can no longer cope. I have gone from full face of make up, freshly washed hair to no make up, hair up in an ugly unwashed bun. I just miss me.

I realize you don't want opinions but mine is that you should only get medical advice from medical professionals not random people on the internet. A smattering of testimonials about a drug is not scientific evidence.

Best wishes but I suspect you will be better served learning to build your self confidence & self esteem rather than taking a "happy pill" to mask the temporary bad feelings which accompany a break up. I hope this medication regime is being accompanied by talk therapy.

d0nnivain, on target once again.

Listen to her. That's wisdom speaking.

• Author
I take Citalopram. Aside from fixing long term depression (not relationship related), they've made me less obsessional in my thinking. They've also slowed down my emotional reaction time, giving me a little time to think before acting. In short, I feel "normal" when I use them.

We're about to trial my autistic son on them shortly. For him, it's not about depression, but in trying to stop circular thoughts which get stuck in his head.

I get crazy obsessionl so this is good to hear.

CautiouslyOptimistic

I'm on one (Zoloft) for pretty much the reasons Basil mentioned. It may help you get over the hump and get the most out of your therapy, and you wouldn't have to be on it forever. The biggest thing you'll notice is that it will make you think more clearly/realistically. Maybe don't start with 20mg the first day, but work up to it, because you will likely have side effects at first (that will subside). Tremor type stuff. You may begin to see some relief within 4-5 days to 2 weeks. (I did)

Hope you feel better soon!

• Author
I'm on one (Zoloft) for pretty much the reasons Basil mentioned. It may help you get over the hump and get the most out of your therapy, and you wouldn't have to be on it forever. The biggest thing you'll notice is that it will make you think more clearly/realistically. Maybe don't start with 20mg the first day, but work up to it, because you will likely have side effects at first (that will subside). Tremor type stuff. You may begin to see some relief within 4-5 days to 2 weeks. (I did)

Hope you feel better soon!

Oh I hope so because the doctor said it may take 6 weeks!

CautiouslyOptimistic
Oh I hope so because the doctor said it may take 6 weeks!

That is the standard statement. I don't know anyone who has had that experience, though. But don't quote me on it ;).

Yep I am going to therapy too. I know I don’t like the idea of it masking my pain rather than dealing with it but I can no longer cope. I have gone from full face of make up, freshly washed hair to no make up, hair up in an ugly unwashed bun. I just miss me.

Completely understand. Been there . . . have the dirty unwashed t-shirt from when I'm too depressed to do anything, including laundry.

However, I am very anti medication. They were different drugs then the one you are being prescribed but I had horrible side effects the two times I tried to take anti-depressants. My doctors are currently trying to get my insurance company to approve a very expensive DNA test which will allegedly help them figure out which medications "work" with my particular DNA / body chemistry. Once I see that I said I would be willing to talk about going on meds again.

My saga aside. there is a fake it 'til you make it component to overcoming depression. When every fiber of your being is screaming at you to stay in bed or maybe venture to the couch & retreat into yourself, that is exactly when you have to shower, put on nice clothes, do your make up & go outside, despite how overwhelming those activities are. Gearing yourself up to do them . . sucks & takes sooooooo much energy. I found myself balling in my walk in closet for hours because the choices I had to make to get dressed were more then I could handle some days but every time I powered through it, got dressed, went outside, I felt better . . . no magic pills involved.

• Author
Yes, you are definitely not the only one who has had to take antidepressants after a break up. I know several. Infact, I used to work with a wonderful lady who was a successful accountant. This was in 2010 and she was the accountant of this company I worked for. She opened up to me about being on anti depressants.

I have struggled with depression my entire life but I am bipolar and for me anti depressants didn't work. I needed a mood stabilizer. I had a situation with a man who brought on depressive symptoms despite treatment. It is very common!!!!!

Now from my experience with medication, they take time, and quite often experimenting different ones to find the right ones that work for you. They also don't work themselves. People often need therapy and other supports along side with the antidepressant. You are very normal so don't ever question that.

Tbh think I also originally have bipolar but he’s caused it to be deprsssive only lol

I studied and currently work in medicine. I was taught that patients may not notice the full clinical response of antidepressants for 4-8 weeks.

I used antidepressants for a few years. It was due to my heavy load at university. I'm a man who usually wouldn't cry about anything, it's like I can't cry even if I want to, just to get my feelings out of the system. But, after I started crying my eyes out for no apparent reason after I'm done with my finals and projects, I realized something was wrong. I felt like a burned out match.

Anyways, I went to a professional for help and she prescribed me Cipralex along with Ignis. Used it like a year, I was fine. But at some time, it started to lose its effects, even worsened my condition (depression and OCD). Then I switched to Prozac. It was better for me. Ride was smooth, along the path I decided that I didn't need it anymore and I quitted using it by taking my dose every other day. Then I just stopped. Now I'm fine and staying strong even though I deal with lots of BS. To me, dealing with them without medication feels better, because I feel that these problems in my life are strengthening me.

So, if you are sure about you NEED to take those pills, take them. They will help you through a rough patch. I took antidepressants as a last resort, because I was eating well, sleeping well(ish) and I was working out. Even with these I felt depressed for no apparent reason. I'm happy that I took them. But I don't need them anymore. Hopefully you won't need them too.

Also consider side effects: Feeling even worse/suicidal, weight gain, insomnia or oversleeping, decrease in libido, insensitivity in your member (for men),...

Hi!

After my break-up I tried coping all by myself. I couldn't, there were circumstances that made it impossible for me to heal in a proper way. I couldn't get out of bed anymore. I lost 5 kilograms, couldn't eat, sleep or had fits of uncontrollable crying. This wasn't daily or anything. But the quality of my life just went downhill cause I couldn't cope. I kept obsessing about my break up and everything surrounding it.

Eventually I went to see my doctor, he described a light anti-depressant and advised therapy. It was a lifesaver.

Therapy took me a while to find the right therapist for me, but the anti-depressants stopped my mind. I could finally breathe, sleep, eat. The obsession didn't stop but it started laying low. I could manage. I was on them for 3 months then I felt confident enough to quit. I wasn't cured, but I started believing in myself more.

After I quit I had a few more meltdowns but none so bad as before, I could handle myself better.

Btw, it's been almost 8 months now since I took them. I still continue therapy, not necessarily for my break up, but just for my mental health in general. It's been an amazing help to me.

For me it was a positive experience. But it's different for everyone :)

Edited by Flove
DontBreakEven

Yes, I took Prozac after my exfiance left me 4 years ago. The pain just got so much that I could hardly function at work. It took a few weeks and it definitely started kicking in. Didn't change how sad I was, but definitely took the "edge" off of those feelings where I would go to the bathroom at work and just want nothing more than to throw myself on the floor and cry and not move.

I feel like anti-medication people haven't taken medication, or have had one bad experience with medication, or haven't been to the depths where they feel like they have literally no other choice. My therapist has always been great in seeing medication as a tool to help. Not the be-all-to-end-all, but definitely a great tool.

I stopped the medication about 6 months after the break up, when I was finally in a mindset where I felt like I was coping well and didn't need the extra help anymore.

• Like 1