Is it always true that "it gets better"?

damagingfortunato

damagingfortunato

I am like most of you probably. I had, what I would consider to be the perfect GF, and no matter what anyone tries to convince me otherwise, she was, infact, the perfect GF for me. I've dated 2 girls since her, both of them gave me nothing close to the feeling I got with her.

I saw her walking down the street today and we said hi to each other, and for just that brief split second I felt extremely happy. The happiest probably since we broke up. I feel mostly stress and anxiousness now, something I didn't really experience that much before.

I have a date with a girl who seems extremely into me, on Friday, but I just can't bring myself to go. I just feel stress, I just feel anxious, even if I act like my true self I still feel that way.

Sorry, this post is completely disjointed. I just wanted to say this to someone other than myself.

Since you are clearly not ready to date, why put yourself & the date through the torture of this date on Friday?

It does get better. Think about it this way -- have you ever physically injured yourself? You are in excruciating pain immediately. Then over time the pain diminishes until it goes away. Your broken heart will heal in a similar fashion.

• Like 1

don't try to cover up your confusion, anxiety, or stress about thinking about your ex by continuing to date. You aren't over her yet. Take more time and be patient with yourself to get over her completely before seriously dating. Casual dating is fine, just be honest with yourself and with any new women - if it gets more serious - until you can wake up and not feel anxious about the past.

• Author
damagingfortunato
Since you are clearly not ready to date, why put yourself & the date through the torture of this date on Friday?

It does get better. Think about it this way -- have you ever physically injured yourself? You are in excruciating pain immediately. Then over time the pain diminishes until it goes away. Your broken heart will heal in a similar fashion.

It was a year ago in July though. Every time I think I am getting better I realize im mostly just in the same place.

You feel this way because you haven't found someone better. Once you do, you'll forget about her.

If you take the stance recommended to date casually and be honest with the women about it they will run as if you have the plague. Unless they are super into you no girl wants to hear you just want them for sex and there is no long term option

You're not being dishonest because if you find one better you will likely get serious.

Sucks to feel that way after over a year but you'll never completely heal until you find a replacement.