My pet just passed away and I can't cope.

heavenonearth

heavenonearth

My cat passed away yesterday. I can't cope. I don't know how to cope.

I loved this little sweet creature beyond belief. She was the best thing that ever happened to me. She was the epitome of unconditional love. She was alway there for me, and I gave her m everything. I saved her after 5 years of abuse, i gave her a loving home for 1,5 years. Sadly, she seemed to have been terminally ill. I thought it was a birth defect that impacted her motor skills, but perhaps it was some nerve or brain damage or tumor that had her health decline over the years. She blossomed here. Her soul and heart were blooming like never before. But her physical health did not agree.

She was fine in the evening, and yesterday morning had a seizure, went into shock and never recovered, a few hours later she passed away at the vet's. They couldn't find anything wrong with her.

I don't know what to do. This is the worst day of my life.

I never lost anyone. I am 30 years old, and no death in my immediate circle has ever affected me this way. She was my baby. I am so ****ing sad.

Tomorrow is the cremation.

I hope I will manage.

I am trying to think of something nice to do for her or to remember her by.

Any ideas?

I need some help and advice on how to cope.

I feel so tired from crying.

EDIT: Sorry, don't know where to put this, please move into appropriate thread, if needed (family, coping, not sure).

Edited by heavenonearth
  • Like 1

I'm so sorry heaven - losing a pet hurts so much :(

She probably had a tumor or virus affecting her nervous system (I've sadly seen cats with motor problems from brain tumors... Vets are not likely to investigate unless she's a special breed because it is costly... and frankly it doesn't matter now). You saved her, gave her a loving home, made her life great.

You can make an album with the pictures that you have of her but now is probably a bad time because it will be too painful.

I lost many pets over the years and adopted more. The new ones of course do not 'replace' the lost ones but it is a good continuation to give a chance for happy life to another pet in need to honor the life of the lost one.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry. One of the hardest parts of being a pet owners is accepting that there will come a day when we have to say goodbye to our furry family owners. Pet lovers often have to go through it several times over but it never gets any easier.

Did you request to have the ashes from the cremation given to you? That would

be something you could hold onto. Also google rainbowbridge.com. It's a site that offers support for those who have lost beloved pets. They have stories you can read or you can submit your own stories, forums to share your grief with others, a live chat, and numbers to call if you are really in crisis and need even more personal support. Death of a loved one is something that leaves it's mark on us forever. You will never stop loving your kitty but one day you will be able to cherish the happy memories without too much pain. take care

• Like 1
WaitingForBardot

My condolences on the death of your cat.

I always take these losses hard as well. My way of dealing has been to create a 'shrine' (basically the top of a bookcase in my office) where their ashes and a photo take their place amongst their honored ancestors, kind of like you see in japanese movies. This ritual has helped me cope and remember them, and over time thinking about them becomes less painful.

• Like 1

Hello heavenonearth,

I am sorry to hear you have lost your furry companion.

Try and take comfort in the fact that you gave her a good, loving, kind, safe home for one and a half years.

I believe that there is a heaven where we will be united with all our loved ones and that includes our pets.

In the meantime this may help;

Pet Loss Help - Mourning the Life of Best Friend

• Like 1

I've been in the place you're in with my kitty and I can't even begin to tell you how extremely sorry I feel that this has happened! I remember the pain like yesterday. I don't know you but anybody that loves a pet like you love your kitty is a special human being in my book. Try to take comfort in the fact that you gave her the best life she could've had for as long as you could.

You'll grieve, yes. Sometimes it seems like it will never go away but it does, sweetie. Carry her in your heart for always.

I got a new kitten about 6 months after my baby died. I said I never would but I wanted to feel life again in the house and I wanted to help another kitty that might have otherwise been on the streets. It filled my heart back up. I still think of my old kitty but now I can do it with smiles instead of tears. You'll get there. Hang in there.

"Grief is the price of love".

{{hugs}} the loss of a pet can be profoundly sad. They are family members. Please accept my condolences.

You can & will cope. It just sucks.

For more & different comfort then LS can provide check out a wonderful website exactly for this: Rainbow Bridge, Pet Loss Grief Support, Monday Candle Ceremony

Hang in there.

I like to wrap mine in a special little blanket or something before burial or cremation.

Losing a pet is so hard. While they are ill, I can't eat or even drink for days sometimes. I certainly believe in putting them down to stop them from suffering. But sometimes that hasn't worked out and those are the ones I feel worst about.

Just know you did your best. Just know that you gave her a wonderful life. And sometimes I still talk to mine and remember their birthdays and shut my eyes and pet them the way they liked best and hope they can get that message.

Remember they wouldn't want to see you remain sad very long and would just want you to be happy again as soon as possible and that how long you mourn is no measure of how much you loved them.

I'm sorry to hear this. My cat got out of the house almost a month ago and I haven't been lucky finding him yet. I'm lucky because I just got a puppy in the fall that is keeping me busy, but I still feel bad about the cat.

Losing a pet is tough. I'm really sorry you're struggling. One day at a time...

So so sorry :( My daughter just lost her soul mate dog of 15 years. She is struggling as well. She is an active animal activist and that helps her get by...knowing she is helping in that way.

I am so deeply sorry for your loss. It really sucks losing a beloved pet. I've lost lots over the years. The most recent was March of this year. My sweet cat Maggie is actually 17 years old. I'm dreading the day I have to say goodbye to her. I know it won't be long because she's really starting to slow down. I got her as a kitten when I was 16 years old and she's been such a wonderful companion and a comfort to me. I know I'll just be beside myself with grief when her day comes. Just know that your sweet furry friend will always be in your heart. Take comfort in knowing that you gave her a good life and she loved you for it. New pets will never take the place of ones lost, but giving a new pet a chance at a good life makes you feel like you're doing a good thing...when you're ready of course. Take your time and grieve her loss for as long as it takes. In time, the grief will slowly fade.

(((Hugs))) and take care of yourself. Your furry friend would want you to.

I'm sorry for your loss. I've been through it with dogs- and it's the kinda thing that sticks with you. I still think of my dogs that died almost every day. It's been two years since my little Westie died and it can still bring me to tears if I let it.

You will recover, I promise you. I put all of my pictures away for about a year until I felt strong enough to put them out again. I couldn't look at the pics without getting emotional. I can now, and you will be able to as well.

Hugs.

She was loved. Her existence was all the better for having found you. She had the best possible life she could have had because you were there. Thinking this might make you feel a bit better. My condolences and take care.

• Like 2