I associate everything with my EX

LOSINGHOPE113

LOSINGHOPE113

Almost at the 5 month mark after a breakup and i still associate every single thing with her like everything, i'm in living hell in my mind. everything i do i think of her, when i go for a walk i just imagine her next to me and how much she'd love the views, i'm looking to book a holiday and just think that she should be with me/how much she'd love the places i'm looking at. i see so many things in shops that i want to buy her and break down when i remember that i can't anymore. I don't know how to disassociate myself, i cannot move on, i still haven't accepted that its over and its horrible as i know she can move on just fine. Am i taking too long, does anyone have any advise to get her off of my mind, i think about and replay all of our memories in my head 24/7 i just can't stop myself NOTHING distracts me not even when i'm busy at work, she's still there.

i compare everyone to her, i see a girl in sunglasses and just think 'she wouldn't wear them sunglasses' and then i get so upset because i want to see her in her sunglasses again, i'm honestly so pathetic, i feel like no one will ever compare to her, i judge every single girl i meet and compare them to her and i know ill never be able to move on if i don't stop doing it but i just don't know how to stop, my brain reacts so quick and puts a thought in my head, i have flashing memories that are triggered by the most random things that i have no time to counteract it.

I'm so lost.

• Like 2
Frostedflake

I've gone through this with an ex before. Everything reminded me of her. Songs on the radio belonged to her, everything I knew she'd like, everything I knew she'd hate. A girl with similiar style on the street. And that's when it hit me.

And I began to generalize her.

It wasn't that I was finding HER in these things and people, it was that these things were very general. A lot of people like this, a lot of people hate that. She suddenly didn't seem so special. In fact, there were hundreds like her.

And that'll move you forward.

• Like 3

You have her on the pedestal. Youre using her as a reference point for anything and everything. It's part of the healing process. You will move on from it, you just have to be patient. I believe it's a coping mechanism for sudder loss.

I'd suggest trying to switch your reference point to some one else like another female friend and compare/contrast using her.

It's normal and it's okay. Weve all done it. You just have to put in your time.

• Like 2
Heatemyheart89

Hello !

This will fade. I still do this with my ex . He used to always wear the same clothes and everyone looks like him in my head !