my ex and I have to be in a wedding together...

So as I've referenced in some previous threads, my ex-fiance dumped me completely out of the blue a little over 6 weeks ago. I've been making great progress moving on, and I've been NC since 2 days after the breakup.

I don't think I'm fully over it yet, but I'm at the point where I'm pretty convinced I'd never want to be with him again, even if he came back. My major problem right now is the fact that my best friend is getting married to my ex's brother this fall, and my ex and I are both in the wedding. He is the best man, and I am a maid of honor.

We live in a VERY small town where everyone knows everyone's business, and where a lot of people end up marrying people they grew up with. My best friend and I have both known my ex's whole family since middle school. And now my best friend is marrying into his family. Not only is my ex about to become my best friend's brother-in-law, but he and I also have countless mutual friends so in a way it's impossible to FULLY implement NC. I won't ever be able to fully escape hearing about my ex's life.

I guess my main question is how can I prepare for my best friend's wedding in September, knowing that I am going to see my ex there for the first time since we broke up? I'm obviously going to make sure I look as good as possible! But will it be best to plan to totally ignore my ex, or just pretend I don't know him? I've been debating trying to find a date to bring with me, but I'm not sure if that would look like I'm overcompensating for something. I'm not trying to "prove" anything to my ex, I just want to have a fun time. His entire extended family will be there too, and I know that no matter how I act, they will judge it, and I'm pretty sure everyone's eyes will be on him because at this point our whole town knows what happened between us.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation where you know you'll have to see your ex at a future event, and have a while to prepare for that moment?

I grew up in a small town like yours, although I didn't date anyone in my hometown I have had friends in this situation....(Has this for a small town, i once went to a wedding where 3 of the bride's maids had dated/slept with the groom)

I think the best thing to do and remember is that this is your best friend's and her fiance's special day. Do whatever you can to put the focus on the marrying couple.

If you think bringing a date will cause drama or cause your ex to start a drunken fight, don't bring a date (out of respect for your friend) and just dance with your friends. I think all interaction with your ex should be in a professional manner (walk down the isle, do the whole intro thing together at the reception, then part ways and enjoy your time with friends).

• Like 1
  • Author
I think the best thing to do and remember is that this is your best friend's and her fiance's special day. Do whatever you can to put the focus on the marrying couple.

Thank you for your input! Yes, the last thing I would ever want to do is cause any awkwardness on my friend's special day. My ex is pretty shy and quiet so I'm guessing he'll most likely just ignore me too, although you never know. That would probably be the best-case scenario for everyone.