What awesome things will you do to cope with Valentine's day?

kel224

I went to the store to buy some altoids today. All the new cans had valentine's messages on the front.

Afterwards, I went to Starbucks for a coffee. Valentine's gifts everywhere. The VDay marketing frenzy has begun...

I've never been a huge fan of Valentine's day. Maybe because I've been single on 25/28 of the ones I've been alive for :laugh:

I'm just a few months out of the end of a 3-year RL, which ended with 3rd party involvement (she overlapped relationships before she broke up with me, probably with some form of cheating involved). So yea... this year's V-Day will be on the painful side.

This year, I'm going to look forward to spending "Pal-entine's" day in spirit with the others going it alone this year after getting a broken heart.

What awesome things will you do enjoy your V-day this year?

Good question!

To be honest, I'm probably just going to ignore it, and it'll be like any other Tuesday this year. I may go to the flicks or something just to distract me, or I may be up to my eyes in my studies. I'm not going to make any big deal out of it, and I'm not going to sit reminiscing over recent Valentine's days either. I'm determined to not let Feb 14th get to me, so I'll do whatever it takes to ensure that.

StrangerThanFiction

To be honest, for the last decade or so either my boyfriend at the time was away working for it and if they were here for it V Day turned out to be a let down, or, I was single for it. I guess it's never really been a big deal to me, single or in relationship. What I've done in the past when I was on my own was pamper myself with a spa day by myself or with other single female friends; get together with my single friends of both sexes and thumb our noses at societally enforced romance; or just stay at home, do a horror movie marathon, eat junk food, and crack a few beers all while in my most unattractive underwear just because I could.

I know for a lot of people who are single or who have just had their hearts broken V Day can bring out a lot of dread and anxiety and it can feel like you're getting your nose rubbed in the fact that you're no longer part of a couple. It doesn't have to though. You can use it as a time to be thankful that you're free of all the things that used to drive you up the wall about your ex and you can take that day to show all the love you have to give to yourself instead, because dammit you deserve it. You don't have to worry about being disappointed if they only put in a half-a**ed effort at romance. I can't count how many times one of my friends has called me crying the next day about how their boyfriends or girlfriends either didn't put in any effort to make it special, or, on the other hand, didn't appreciate the effort they put in.

So instead of focusing on the fact that you're single for V Day, make it about you instead. Do something you enjoy. Put yourself first and pamper yourself like you deserve.

*gets down off soapbox*

• Like 2
To be honest, for the last decade or so either my boyfriend at the time was away working for it and if they were here for it V Day turned out to be a let down, or, I was single for it. I guess it's never really been a big deal to me, single or in relationship. What I've done in the past when I was on my own was pamper myself with a spa day by myself or with other single female friends; get together with my single friends of both sexes and thumb our noses at societally enforced romance; or just stay at home, do a horror movie marathon, eat junk food, and crack a few beers all while in my most unattractive underwear just because I could.

I know for a lot of people who are single or who have just had their hearts broken V Day can bring out a lot of dread and anxiety and it can feel like you're getting your nose rubbed in the fact that you're no longer part of a couple. It doesn't have to though. You can use it as a time to be thankful that you're free of all the things that used to drive you up the wall about your ex and you can take that day to show all the love you have to give to yourself instead, because dammit you deserve it. You don't have to worry about being disappointed if they only put in a half-a**ed effort at romance. I can't count how many times one of my friends has called me crying the next day about how their boyfriends or girlfriends either didn't put in any effort to make it special, or, on the other hand, didn't appreciate the effort they put in.

So instead of focusing on the fact that you're single for V Day, make it about you instead. Do something you enjoy. Put yourself first and pamper yourself like you deserve.

*gets down off soapbox*

I love this post!

Last year I spent my last £50 to take my ex out for a meal. I am not exaggerating when I say I lived on toast for the next week until payday. I stayed over at hers and the following day she blew up at me about....well I can't even remember what that particular time was about, it happened so often. The following weekend I wasn't going to go to hers but she was ill, so I drove 40 miles to bring her some cold and flu capsules and some soup. I wasn't going to stay but she asked me to so I did. Again, the following day she blew up over a card I had thrown away. 3 days later was the anniversary of my dads death and she yet again blew up over nothing, and then ghosted me for 3 months.

Even if I do nothing but binge watch Netflix all evening, I at least know this year will be so much calmer, and won't be having my emotions toyed with.

• Like 1

Nothing, its just another day, like NYE or a birthday.

Sun goes up, sun goes down, next day. I don't see the problem.

• Like 2
Nothing, its just another day, like NYE or a birthday.

Sun goes up, sun goes down, next day. I don't see the problem.

My feelings exactly. Last year was rough for me. This year. I'm could hardly care. Its all commercialized to get people to buy more stuff they don't need anyway.

• Like 1

Never had special feelings for vday so I most probably wont do anything special for it. If i'm lucky and get a date, I'll probably go on a date,othervise nothing special.

Unless I meet someone new by then, I'm probably going to treat it as any other day and pretend it doesn't exist.

Edited by Logo
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought I wouldn't have a feeling at all when V-Day came by. But, I'm starting to feel it.

If I had met someone else by now, I wouldn't even be thinking about her.

Trying to stay strong.

• Like 1

My ex was about as romantic as Jack the ripper so luckily, I don't think it will phase me.

I'll be working all day so probably come home tired and just relax. Maybe do some art.

• Like 2

I know for sure it will be nostalgic at some point tmr but I am busy studying and have no time to dwell on such a commercial day anyway. It's nice to spend it with someone special, sure, but for me it will be like any other day.

Guess I follow my routine and go to the gym in the evening and get my all-so-loved endorphines of self-love :p

I've just been down to the shop and there are bunches of roses everywhere. I have the urge to contact her, or send her a card. No way I'm going to though. No way. Memories are flooding back to past years when we had great Valentines days, last year, not so much. In fact, last year was bloody horrible. 11 days from now will be the 1 year anniversary of when she vanished the first time. I wonder if she remembers all the **** she put me through during these 11 days this time last year. I certainly do, and it was horrific. It was push/pull to the extreme, on an almost daily basis, culminating in her just discarding me without a care.

If anything, I should be thankful that this year I'll be volunteering during the day, and studying during the eve, and maybe rounding it off with watching a film with a beer or two. Absolutely zero relationship stress. Thank heaven for small mercies!

I have zero urge to contact my ex.

Scratch that, I do, but only to say:

"Happy Valentines Day! Hope your day doesn't suck as much as you do! :)"

We had a good laugh this morning in the office about sending mean texts to our Exs. lol

Seriously though, after going NC December 20, I received not a peep during my bday, xmas, New Years, our anniversary, etc.

Why in the world would I contact her, feed that ego, on a day I know she gets emotional about, when the above occurred?

Tonight for me will be wings, wine, cards against humanity, and great conversation.

.02c

I have zero urge to contact my ex.

Scratch that, I do, but only to say:

"Happy Valentines Day! Hope your day doesn't suck as much as you do! :)"

We had a good laugh this morning in the office about sending mean texts to our Exs. lol

Seriously though, after going NC December 20, I received not a peep during my bday, xmas, New Years, our anniversary, etc.

Why in the world would I contact her, feed that ego, on a day I know she gets emotional about, when the above occurred?

Tonight for me will be wings, wine, cards against humanity, and great conversation.

.02c

Yep. No need to reach out at all. Too was skipped over for thanksgiving, Xmas, my birthday and NYE.

V day is a cake walk in comparison.

I'm thankful I'm not running around for cards and flowers and I won't be doing anything special except maybe going to bed a bit early after a long day of work.

• Like 1
Yep. No need to reach out at all. Too was skipped over for thanksgiving, Xmas, my birthday and NYE.

V day is a cake walk in comparison.

I'm thankful I'm not running around for cards and flowers and I won't be doing anything special except maybe going to bed a bit early after a long day of work.

Agreed. I might sound like sour grapes, but today is about me, not them. If I went too far down the hole, then the thinking imagines her having fun with someone else, which sucks, and I won't go there.

Be safe everyone.

.02c

Spending time with my single girls. Getting our nails done, going to get something to eat, maybe some alcohol. Coupled with talking sh*t about our loser exes, lol. Needless to say mine already reached out. For what reason who knows, but I'll take my time opening the image.

• Like 2

I have a date tonight with the 130LB dumbbells. Im going to take them for a ride on the incline bench tonight. 5 more minutes to go. I got my dust pre workout, my NO2 booster, and some creatine all in one water bottle. I already feel the aggression.

My IGF-1 is loaded and ready to take post workout ( I have a prescription for it so its legal for me )

My out take is this. whether its valentines day, which to me is fake, its just a way for companies to make money, a birthday, christmas, whatever, its just another regular day. sun goes up, then comes down. Tomorrow, nobody will remember and it will just have been a day.