Do dreams mean anything?

ExtraSpice

Majority of the times I do not remember my dreams. Occasionally I have a weird/intense dream that I do remember.

Last night I had a pretty weird dream about my ex. Without going into what the dream was, safe to say when I woke up she was on my mind. Now it didn't necessarily ruin my day or threw me in a crying fit but def dampened down my morning a little bit.

This has happened in the past with other people as well.

I am wondering does this mean anything? Is it because maybe she was on my mind before I went to bed or it just happens randomly without reason? What

are your experiences?

I wish I could tell you but I'm stumped myself as I often dream about my ex and wake up feeling down because the reality sets in that she is no longer my partner in crime, I could go to bed feeling okay not thinking about her then poof back in my mind longing for her again, maybe it's a symptom of anxiety?, your thoughts are focused on the breakup so you dream of the breakup as well, either way it sucks because it can definitely hold back your recovery in the long haul

You'll dream about pretty much anything your psyche needs to process. Nothing mystical about it, no foreshadowing, no ghostly hauntings, just basic human psychology.

• Like 1
  • Author
You'll dream about pretty much anything your psyche needs to process. Nothing mystical about it, no foreshadowing, no ghostly hauntings, just basic human psychology.

Thank you. I never expected them to be any ghostly hauntings or foreshadowing but I was wondering if they are mostly related to what your processing at the time. Sometimes the timing is very random.

Dreams can be kind of random crap or they can be your subconscious processing things, and then when you remember them, bringing stuff that has been in your subconscious up into your conscious because you are now ready to think about it a little more consciously. That's what I think that dream you had was about. And yes, on the extreme end, I believe some very intense dreams of a certain type can be spiritual in nature.

I kept a dream journal for 7 years when I was 21. You can do the same. Write them down first thing when you wake up and then read them aloud later. Aloud is important because sometimes just reading them aloud gives them an entirely different meaning than what you were thinking and it can become very obvious. In general, some symbols carry over fairly universally, but not nearlly as many as the trendy dream interpretation books may suggest. But a house is usually yourself, the rooms different parts of yourself or your life. Sometimes you can ask yourself who or what is the last thing or person who made you feel that way and get some enlightenment. Or you can boil the overall feeling of the dream down (anxiety, fear, love, whatever) and ask yourself if you are feeling (anxiety, fear, love, whatever) about anything right now in the waking world. Sometimes the dream seems to be about one thing but is only about federal income taxes!

Thank you. I never expected them to be any ghostly hauntings or foreshadowing but I was wondering if they are mostly related to what your processing at the time. Sometimes the timing is very random.

Most likely it seems random specifically bc you're not having the thoughts consciously (deliberate avoidance or whatever) - which is exactly why they need processed. :)

• Like 1
  • Author
I kept a dream journal for 7 years when I was 21. You can do the same.

Sometimes the dream seems to be about one thing but is only about federal income taxes!

So keeping a journal helped you?

And also that is a reminder for doing taxes, thanks!

If you want to start examining yourself through your dreams and having more control over your dreams, then keeping a journal of them is a good first step. I wish I could recommend one current dream book but the ones I read were decades ago and probably out of print, and so many dream books out now are just BS. But what you want to read about is "lucid dreaming" and learning how to be a lucid dreamer. You'll get a little more insight that way and if you get good at it, you can even ask some of the element of your dream what they represent. But that takes some time.