coping with narcissist behavior - is he a narcissist or something else?

HansonGirl

I don't know where to post this but i was wondering if anybody can help my friend and i figure out this behavior.

Lindsay went out with Steven, who pretty brutally rejected her. She said it reminded her of how she was bullied by boys growing up, how one of them called her to tell her nobody liked her. She is very wounded by that still. She said she never felt fully comfortable with Steven but she was starting to, though still skittish. Meanwhile i've always considered him to be a narcissist. Well after he brutally told her off essentially, he comes around, and just seems to like to try to rile her up. This all culminated in the Halloween party last week. it was a huge party at a big venue. we did not come with Steven and his friends but they were there. we were all dressed up having a good time, when here comes Steven with this girl that we know he was casually seeing, ("Molly") from even before Lindsay and him went out. I don't think this is someone he is seriously dating, otherwise he wouldn't have gone out with Lindsay in between, but we've met her before. Steven would get next to Lindsay, who would move away. Steven, with Molly in tow, would gravitated towards Lindsay again, and Lindsay would move away again. It was hard not to notice this, especially knowing the situation. At one point Lindsay noticed he was RIGHT THERE again, and by this point she had lots of drinks and she said "GO AWAY" and pushed him. He came RIGHT BACK as if it were a game. And then she did the same thing again. He came right back again. Now other people were noticing. They said why are you pushing him. It was quite interesting to watch as he definitely kept coming back again every time she moved away or physically pushed him.

She was very embarrassed the next day, and apologized. She told me that he has invited her to a small-gathering he's throwing next weekend. She and I are just really dumbfounded. She really let him have it at the party, now he's inviting her to his home. I personally am wondering whether Molly is going to this small gathering too. Lindsay still feels really embarrassed and is thinking about going to make up for pushing him. She is actually worried of assault charges (lol, i said she is ridiculous!)

Is this guy a narcissist? or is this something else?

PS: the funniest thing about this... to me... is the fact that in almost all of the photos from the party you can see Steven like right there, in the background.

Edited by HansonGirl

Not sure if it's narcissistic behavior just from what you described ... I think the guy is acting like a punk kid ... a cad ... douchebag ... in any case ... I'd keep my distance if I were your friend ... if she has any self respect whatsoever ... She'll do that and not go to the house party ... Then find a nice guy to go out with. This guy is trouble ... I wouldn't put myself in the position of some cad doing any damage to my self esteem.

• Like 1
  • Author
Not sure if it's narcissistic behavior just from what you described ... I think the guy is acting like a punk kid ... a cad ... douchebag ... in any case ... I'd keep my distance if I were your friend ... if she has any self respect whatsoever ... She'll do that and not go to the house party ... Then find a nice guy to go out with. This guy is trouble ... I wouldn't put myself in the position of some cad doing any damage to my self esteem.

Thanks StBreton, i told her not to go too.

but why is he doing this to her... seems messed up!

it's funny too because months ago, prior to when they went out, i was with him and Molly (and others) at a bar crawl. This was when he had Molly had hookedup. at one point, he grabbed my arm and we ran ahead of the others while walking to the next bar. I wasn't into him, but i noticed that Molly was very upset after that. I did realize afterwards that it looked bad how we ran in front of everybody but i wonder if that was to hurt Molly or something. very strange. I wasn't about to get involved in his life or anything.

Edited by HansonGirl
Thanks StBreton, i told her not to go too.

but why is he doing this to her... seems messed up! that's because he's messed up...he's not happy with status quo in life ...he likes to create drama because he needs that thrill

it's funny too because months ago, prior to when they went out, i was with him and Molly (and others) at a bar crawl. This was when he had Molly had hookedup. at one point, he grabbed my arm and we ran ahead of the others while walking to the next bar. I wasn't into him, but i noticed that Molly was very upset after that. I did realize afterwards that it looked bad how we ran in front of everybody but i wonder if that was to hurt Molly or something. very strange. I wasn't about to get involved in his life or anything.good for you ...don't go down the rabbit hole with him. Like I said above and is more proved by the bar crawl event when he's with another girl but grabs you ...he seeks the rush he gets from creating drama

I'd stay clear of this guy. Too many nice guys out there ... Many of them here on this forum :)

• Like 1
  • Author
I'd stay clear of this guy. Too many nice guys out there ... Many of them here on this forum :)

yes there are. the current guy i like is SO SWEET! he's adorable!

PS i didn't tell Lindsay about that little incident of the arm grabbing. I figured it's best not to get involved in this, especially since it was meaningless to me.