Saw her today...

Been nearly a year since the break up, and I think I'm completely over it, save maybe for a few residual feelings of anger at the way I was treated come the end...but meh, I'm good really.

What has shocked me is the way my body reacted today when seeing her in the supermarket.

I've known about her new boyfriend for maybe a month or two, and this was the first time I've seen her, and she just happened to be with him.

It was like an anxiety bomb went off in my chest and continued spreading through out my whole body. When I went to pay I was literally shaking. I always imagined feeling really cool and nonchalant when I eventually saw her, but I was the total opposite :rolleyes:. Luckily she didn't see me.

I'm fine now, I'm just surprised that I reacted that way.

Hope this isn't some sign that I'm not fully over her! I noticed how I wasn't really attracted to her anymore, so that's a bonus.

Has anyone else had this happen to them when seeing an ex for the first time in a long time?

It's totally natural, even if you feel you are over someone. It's the body's way of reacting to that ghost - I don't understand it, but it happens to all of us.

Glad you're not letting it concern you. It does NOT mean you're not over her. It's just shocking running into an ex, is all.

• Author
It's totally natural, even if you feel you are over someone. It's the body's way of reacting to that ghost - I don't understand it, but it happens to all of us.

Glad you're not letting it concern you. It does NOT mean you're not over her. It's just shocking running into an ex, is all.

Thanks man. I'm actually kind of chuckling at myself for it now.

Firstheartbreaksux

I've been dreading this moment because I'm not sure how I would react. I guess this is an insight. I hope I have a few drinks in me when I do eventually see her, then I surely won't give dam.

Jimmyjackson

The same thing happened to me too. I was shook up for a few hours.

My stomach dropped and my heart started racing but I didn't show it on my face which is the important thing I guess. Probably more a reaction to the fact she treat you badly I'm guessing. I figured mine was because i didn't like seeing her because of what she did to me, not because I wasn't over her. I feel I'm over her, maybe this was the same thing for you? You mentioned you had anger built up or something hidden away.

Been nearly a year since the break up, and I think I'm completely over it, save maybe for a few residual feelings of anger at the way I was treated come the end...but meh, I'm good really.

What has shocked me is the way my body reacted today when seeing her in the supermarket.

I've known about her new boyfriend for maybe a month or two, and this was the first time I've seen her, and she just happened to be with him.

It was like an anxiety bomb went off in my chest and continued spreading through out my whole body. When I went to pay I was literally shaking. I always imagined feeling really cool and nonchalant when I eventually saw her, but I was the total opposite :rolleyes:. Luckily she didn't see me.

I'm fine now, I'm just surprised that I reacted that way.

Hope this isn't some sign that I'm not fully over her! I noticed how I wasn't really attracted to her anymore, so that's a bonus.

Has anyone else had this happen to them when seeing an ex for the first time in a long time?

I am sorry to hear this was an ordeal for you but it's entirely understandable. That was an amazing description of how buried experiences and emotions can be triggered suddenly by something connected, in this case your ex. I do think a break-up can be a trauma that the mind tries to cope with. Some things can trigger those terrible feelings again though. Hopefully, that release of buried feelings and angst will now leave you feeling relieved and refreshed, now that you are not having to hold that in at the deepest levels. This is probably part of the process of putting this behind you not a sign that it isn't.