Not panic attacks but...

Amas5750

So this has been happening a few times per day.

Whenever I thInk about my divorce or the Exs in my life who abandoned/disrespected me then I get breathless.

Like I have to struggle to really get a breath in. It's like I have to focus and try to get that breath deep in my belly cos otherwise I have like a shallow panicky breath or something. I literally have to focus in it to try and distract myself and whenever (1-2 minutes later) I do manage to be distracted by something else, then the breathing problem goes away.

It only occurs when I think about my divorce (January 2015 from 5 years married) and rebound relationship ending.

Do u think it's panic or anxiety? Can anyone relate. I have not had this problem before.

OneForTheRoad

I felt the same when my first long relationship ended (4 years). The second one that ended just now was showing the same signs, but I had learned to cope with it the previous time, so it wasn't as bad.

What I did was find an object that would "take my worries" for a while, then continue to do something else, then take that object and go through the worries when I'm feeling better. In my case it was a deep black onyx stone. I don't believe in their healing properties, but I do believe in recalling feelings and memories with objects. So I managed to sort of brainwash myself into recalling a feeling of dropping my weight onto the stone.

But yeah, the first time it happened I was so scared of losing my breath that it made it worse and worse. It's not nice.....

It may just be a combinations of both. I'm just starting to understand the fact that I may in addition to my anxiety suffer from panic attacks as well. It's utterly evident when I'm in an uncomfortable position emotionally that immediately triggers my body to react (fight/flight). Anxiety rushes my chest, making extremely difficult to breath and a nervous feeling all over my body. I mean it's manageable, you see me while undergoing one of those you wouldn't even notice. I have condition myself to mask it all very well, however, I believe is time for me to start working on working to subside this anxiety dilemma.