A 6 year rebound?

Bubberfly

Hi guys,

I really wanted your opinion on something.

I've read online about if a guy (or girl) gets back with their ex after you, then you were the rebound. However...

My ex was dating this girl (we'll call her J) for about 6 months. He broke up with her (according to him) because she "lived too far away and was crazy." It wasn't until 6 months after their break up, he started dating me.

He and I were together off and on for 6 YEARS, but we did have short periods where we had broken up. During our breakups (and when we were together) he did tend to keep tabs on J's social media. I didn't think too much of it because he tended to keep tabs on ALL of his exes.

I secretly called her the "vulture" as she had a tendency to show up as "friends" and "be there for him" whenever his and my relationship was rocky. She was there sometimes to pick up the "remains" of our falling out (if that makes sense.)

About a year or so after we officially ended our six year relationship, he started dating J again. I've found this a little heartbreaking, not that he is dating and moved on, but that he's dating HER again.

Do you think it's possible that I was a rebound?

Can rebound relationships really last for years?

What do you guys think?

Edited by Bubberfly
ColdandLonelyinAK

I doubt that you are the rebound if you've been together off and on for 6 years. Sounds more like she is the rebound, the fallback girl. He just seems like one confused guy if he can keep coming back to you like that and bounce between the two of you.

Try not to read too much into the social media stuff. My ex looked at his ex's Facebook and it meant nothing. Usually just curiousity. I look at people's Facebooks whom I hadn't seen in years and had no intention of talking to.

minimariah

Do you think it's possible that I was a rebound?

Can rebound relationships really last for years?

What do you guys think?

no, i don't think you were a rebound. rebound means folks moving on to a new relationship, not moving back to the previous relationship. that being said, i think he wasn't/isn't serious with neither one of you.

can rebound relationships last for years? hell yeah! i have seen people MARRY their rebound so there is that.

Mr Scorpio

It doesn't sound to me like you were/are a rebound. It sounds like this guy is either terribly confused, apathetic, or is intentionally bouncing back and forth between you and J everytime he grows bored with one of you.

• Author

Thank you for the responses guys. He and I are officially over and have been for the last year and a half. I have no intention of ever going back to him.

I had so many doubts about what our relationship was to him after I found out about J. It really was a blow to my self-confidence for a while.

I can't ever imagine bouncing back and forth between the same two people, just seems like so much drama.

I really do appreciate all of the support on here.