Realistically, how long will it take?

saladfingers

saladfingers

Wife of 4 years and I separated last December and I filed for divorce a few short weeks after. Our relationship was toxic to say the least - but it wasn't always that way. She was my BEST friend the first half of our marriage and then it just went south. She says it was my fault because I was wanting a little more independence and space, but anyways lots of big things, lots of little things and our relationship crumbled and here we are as two seperate people again.

I've been having a tough time getting back into the dating world. Divorcees please respond about what you did. I'm crashing and burning all the time. I'm on okcupid and I've had one date so far that i thought went great, and when she asked for a second one, I tried to schedule it and she bolted. No communication or response. And I have no problem with responses, I have 96% of my inbox full but most of those are conversations with a half dozen girls. It seems we talk for awhile and then it just drops off. So I started giving my number or asking for theirs, sometimes it works other times they just stop talking. I've tried to balance the scales of enough talking and too much before I spring the number. This is so hard! My wife really loved me but I can't go back there.

Dealing with the loneliness is the hardest part and the feeling that no one desires you. I live in a small town so limited to no friends around and no events.

Edited by saladfingers
davidromero43

Hang out at the gym. There could be worst places to hang out. So why not. After my divorce, I met my current wife the old fashion way, at a bar.

My mom is going through a second divorce after her husband cheated on her right now. She's been in emotional hell for over a year.

When my ex dumped me, she gave me this advice: "You'll feel differently in a year. I don't know how exactly you'll feel, but you WILL feel differently." She was speaking from experience.

Try to find new hangouts, reconnect with old friends, get out of the small town as much as you can. That's what my mom did. It helped her a lot.

crimsontactics

Everyone is different, so there is no standard time to get over your ex.

For me personally, as long as you're able to continue your life normally six month after your break-up, you're doing fine. You don't have to be able to "forget" your ex completely, but it must not affect your daily life.

If you still find that your daily life is affected by your break-up after six months, please seek professional help as you may be suffering from illness.

Stay cheerful! :D