Tough night, everything feels like a dead end

Chris715

Hey LS, just here to vent I guess. Not in a great mental state right now. Valentine's Day is coming up and I will be single. I'm in no shape to be dating right now and even if I was I have pretty much zero avenues for it. My whole life honestly feels like a dead end right now. I just turned 24 and it feels like everything is already screwed up.

-My GPA in college is horrible. I have really bad depression and social anxiety which has made it virtually impossible to stay in class enough over the last two years to get good grades. My GPA is around 1.95 and I need to get it up to a 2.0 this semester to stay in college. The first couple of weeks my track record has not been good, missed a bunch of classes because of anxiety and getting behind. The one good thing here is I managed to go to most of my classes Friday and started to do my homework and I plan to go to all of them Monday.

-College and my future feel hopeless right now. I'm in good majors (EE and Physics) but with my bad GPA getting a job and doing what I want in life after graduation is going to be tough. On top of this I commute to college, so my day to day there is lonely to say the least. I know nobody in my classes or majors and honestly a lot of them aren't that social anyway, kinda of a stereotype with engineering I know but it's true. I have a few good friends outside of school but other than that my social life has been horrible. Ever since one of my friends went behind my back last year and started dating the girl I was dating I have been hesitant to hang out with that whole group. They're still dating and honestly I want nothing to do with that *******.

-Currently living with my parents right now which I'm thankful for but at the same time I still feel constrained. I'm 24 and should be out living on my own or with roommates. I need to get a part time job but it's going to be tough to find one with hours I can work since I'm doing a full time schedule for school and really need to focus on classes so I don't fail out.

-Like I said before, in no shape at all to be dating, which should be obvious at this point. And I am nowhere near meeting anyway and have pretty much no ways to do it with my horrible social life. I get stares from plenty of girls on campus but going up and talking to them would probably give me a full blown panic attack at this point. This is one of the most hopeless parts of my future. I keep telling myself: even if I manage to graduate, pick up my grades, and get a good engineering/science job to secure a future, what's the point of it all if I have no one to share it with?

Thanks for reading for anyone that got this far. Insight and comments are welcome, just having a tough night.

Hey LS, just here to vent I guess. Not in a great mental state right now. Valentine's Day is coming up and I will be single. I'm in no shape to be dating right now and even if I was I have pretty much zero avenues for it. My whole life honestly feels like a dead end right now. I just turned 24 and it feels like everything is already screwed up.

-My GPA in college is horrible. I have really bad depression and social anxiety which has made it virtually impossible to stay in class enough over the last two years to get good grades. My GPA is around 1.95 and I need to get it up to a 2.0 this semester to stay in college. The first couple of weeks my track record has not been good, missed a bunch of classes because of anxiety and getting behind. The one good thing here is I managed to go to most of my classes Friday and started to do my homework and I plan to go to all of them Monday.

-College and my future feel hopeless right now. I'm in good majors (EE and Physics) but with my bad GPA getting a job and doing what I want in life after graduation is going to be tough. On top of this I commute to college, so my day to day there is lonely to say the least. I know nobody in my classes or majors and honestly a lot of them aren't that social anyway, kinda of a stereotype with engineering I know but it's true. I have a few good friends outside of school but other than that my social life has been horrible. Ever since one of my friends went behind my back last year and started dating the girl I was dating I have been hesitant to hang out with that whole group. They're still dating and honestly I want nothing to do with that *******.

-Currently living with my parents right now which I'm thankful for but at the same time I still feel constrained. I'm 24 and should be out living on my own or with roommates. I need to get a part time job but it's going to be tough to find one with hours I can work since I'm doing a full time schedule for school and really need to focus on classes so I don't fail out.

-Like I said before, in no shape at all to be dating, which should be obvious at this point. And I am nowhere near meeting anyway and have pretty much no ways to do it with my horrible social life. I get stares from plenty of girls on campus but going up and talking to them would probably give me a full blown panic attack at this point. This is one of the most hopeless parts of my future. I keep telling myself: even if I manage to graduate, pick up my grades, and get a good engineering/science job to secure a future, what's the point of it all if I have no one to share it with?

Thanks for reading for anyone that got this far. Insight and comments are welcome, just having a tough night.

Sounds like you have to start working on you, put your energy into your schooling right now. You're living with your parents so you have all the quiet you need to get your grades back up. You'll start getting better grades and build yourself some confidence. It all starts with you and how much work you want to put into yourself.

Cupid's Puppet

I never knew men thought like this. I guess everyone gets insecure once in awhile. You're a 24 year old male. Gosh you are so incredibly young to be making this type of post. Like huh? You're 24...and a male. You've had a social life and a dating life before, and you think you're going to go the next 50 years without a special someone? Your thoughts are irrational.

• Author
I never knew men thought like this. I guess everyone gets insecure once in awhile. You're a 24 year old male. Gosh you are so incredibly young to be making this type of post. Like huh? You're 24...and a male. You've had a social life and a dating life before' date=' and you think you're going to go the next 50 years without a special someone? Your thoughts are irrational.[/quote']

So I'm not allowed to be insecure because I'm a guy? But yeah I realize my thoughts about this kind of stuff are irrational a lot of the time. Honestly it's the anxiety talking.

Cupid's Puppet

You're allowed to feel whatever you want. Your feelings are your feelings. Because you're a guy, the idea that you'll be alone forever starting at such a young age is senseless to me, especially if you admit that ladies check you out all the time. I almost want to say I'm 100% sure that won't happen. But I have turned this into male vs female, and I apologize. You are hurting and looking for support and that is what I should have done. So...

Look, I failed out of school before. I lived with my parents till I was in my mid-twenties. I felt like a loser, and I was a loser. But there is hope. I now have two degrees and a great-paying job. I swear to you I never thought I'd achieve it. Sometimes understanding that I have what I once thought I could never achieve is what keeps me optimistic about having another special someone. These lows in life prepare us for future lows because there will be more you better believe it. You'll get a bunch of highs and lows if you live long enough.

• Like 2

" 'You realize you are not alone, right? No one in their twenties has life figured out. It’s okay to be a mess. You’re living.'

-Things my therapist told me today that almost made me burst out into tears. I need to remember this more often."

Read this earlier. Your worries are understandable. Focus on school and do not be afraid to be selfish when it comes to your mental health - seek help if needed, treat yourself when you feel deserving, and work on your confidence. You can do it!