Sleeping .. how do you do it?

richburn

StrangerThanFiction
Hello,

What strategies / coping mechanisms do you guys use to get a good nights sleep?

Cheers

I listen to guided meditations before bed. They help to clear your mind of all those round-and-round, painful thoughts enough for you to relax. I've also got a hypnosis track I listen to that was designed specifically for the broken heart and that always makes me feel better and helps me put a but of distance between me and the hurt. I fall asleep to that one too sometimes because it helps release all the tension from being in emotional pain.

• Like 2
StrangerThanFiction

Oh, and also find that I don't dream about the ex much when I do these and wake up feeling rested. If I do dream of him, they're not the horrible dreams that I wake up crying from at least.

• Like 2

There are a whole bunch of techniques.

First your bedroom should be a tranquil place. Clutter disrupts sleep.

Sleep & have sex in your bed. Don't watch TV, eat etc. Your body should know that when you climb into bed, it's time to sleep. Period.

Try to turn in around the same time every night & have a routine/ ritual you follow.

Turn off the TV at least 1/2 hour before bed. All those lights & images wake up your brain not soothe it.

• Like 3
I've also got a hypnosis track I listen to that was designed specifically for the broken heart and that always makes me feel better and helps me put a but of distance between me and the hurt.

I think I have the exact same hypnosis track ;)

• Like 1
Bumpin in My Trunk

at first I tried alcohol but then I realize I can develop a very bad habit doing that. Then sleeping pills did help. Now, I just try to read before going to sleep. Magazines, articles, stories, bible, etc. The other is working out. You can technically workout everyday as long as its a different part of your body. If you can't lift, just do cardio everyday

• Like 1

The first two/three weeks I could't sleep (or I would fall asleep really late and sleep 2 or 3 hours).

Yes, make your bedroom a nice and quiet place.

Don't go on the computer or watch tv 1 hour before going to bed. Read a book instead.

Have a hot shower/bath.

Take some homeopathic calming products (could work, you never know)

If you're in bed and you can't sleep, get up, have a glass of water, walk around a bit and try again. You shouldn't stay in bed for hours forcing yourself to sleep, this won't work.

I also did meditation exercices (look up on Google: mindfullness), it did help for me. It helps stopping those thoughts going on and on in your mind.

And remember: one day it will get better!

• Like 2
Then sleeping pills did help.

You should try to avoid sleeping pills. You get easily addicted to them and then you really have a problem. Also, you don't rest as well with sleeping pills as with "natural sleep".

• Like 1
SoThatHappened

All good advice. I would like to know more about that hypnosis track! ;)

I've used alcohol some of the time.

I've worn myself out physically some of the time.

I've also used a sleeping pill here and there.

I've found that with alcohol, I rarely dream about the ex.

The sleeping pill works sometimes, but have still had dreams about the ex.

Wearing myself out physically would almost ensure a dream about the ex (although the dreams are less and less now).

Just my experience.

• Like 1

Take Melatonin. You can buy it a drug store. Also Magnesium. The melatonin helps deeper REM sleep and the Magnesium helps with uninterrupted sleep.

• Like 2
StrangerThanFiction
All good advice. I would like to know more about that hypnosis track! ;)

I've used alcohol some of the time.

I've worn myself out physically some of the time.

I've also used a sleeping pill here and there.

I've found that with alcohol, I rarely dream about the ex.

The sleeping pill works sometimes, but have still had dreams about the ex.

Wearing myself out physically would almost ensure a dream about the ex (although the dreams are less and less now).

Just my experience.

It's called Mend a Broken Heart from hypnosisdownloads.com

When it felt like I just couldn't take anymore I'd listen to that and the sense of relief afterwards was awesome!

• Like 3

I work out hard for like two hours some nights before going to sleep. I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but my sleep has been so screwed up since the breakup, it does wear me down until I feel like I can crash.

I've used melatonin in the past to reset my sleep schedules and can attest to it working very well, it's the safest "sleeping pill" you can take. Montmorency cherries and barley grass are also natural food sources of melatonin.

I was always scared of becoming dependent upon pharmaceutical sleeping pills so I never tried them.

• Like 3

Pills, booze...jk

But seriously, if you're having a hard time falling asleep try listening to sounds of nature cds. (yes, CDs lol) They have some awesome alarm clocks who have sounds of nature built into them as well.

If you like to read, try reading in bed at least an hour before you usually go to sleep.

Drinking a glass of milk before bedtime helps too.

• Like 1

A couple of large vodkas, 2 sleeping pills, glass of milk, breathing excercies, fresh air throught the window, I like listening to the sounds of the night, the aircraft going over, the swish of the traffic in the distance, the sound of breezes, rain pattering down, make your bed room your space, well made bed, nice clean linen, freshly aired bed, one of the cats sleeps on the bed and his purring is so deep it makes me drift away, I also put the radio on for 15 minutes and listen to classical music or try and tune in to foreign radio stations, they make me think of my trips to Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands .

• Like 2
  • Author

Wow, thanks a lot I have been doing most of these barring the alcohol, sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Just wanted to see what everybody else was doing, I am getting about 5 hours ish but if I am lucky I might go back down for another 2.

I have found this really helped me too, generally to get over the ex and relax.

The bloke has quite a few on youtube and I quite rate him, emailed him a couple of times seems a nice chap /hardsell over.

I am going to get some melatonin tomorrow.

Thanks again.

• Like 1
Bumpin in My Trunk

If you're in bed and you can't sleep, get up, have a glass of water, walk around a bit and try again. You shouldn't stay in bed for hours forcing yourself to sleep, this won't work.

And remember: one day it will get better!

I stayed one whole night being tortured by a picture of my ex and the guy she left me for. She literally couldn't wait a day after they met to put make it a profile picture. I thought day would never come

I don't necessarily agree with taking melatonin, as I've read it disrupts serotonin levels in the brain, which in turn can cause depression. If you do indeed take it, use it sparingly.

I used to be able to drink and sleep through the whole night.

As I got older, any time I have beer, I wake up in the middle of the night with my stomach grumbling.

Getting older sucks.