feeling guilty even though I didn't end it

michele4

Was with my ex 6.5 years and married for 3.... I've posted the divorce details in that section of the site...

My issue is that I feel so guilty about the divorce. I didn't want the divorce or ask for it but my ex gave me a list of reasons why he no longer loved me/wanted a divorce/had an affair and while some of them are absolutely ridiculous there are some that really hit the mark. I don't understand why he wouldn't try counseling or talking to me about them vs the divorce and affair. There is the other side where I can see where he's coming from, that I made mistakes, but if I had realized it I would've done what I could so the marriage could be saved. I realize the marriage is over and there is nothing I can do but is there anyway to not feel guilty?

The way I see it, married individuals owe their partner effort for the sake of maintaining the marriage. Given that your ex didn't even discuss his feelings with you, he didn't meet that burden. If he wasn't willing to even talk to you, I don't know what you could have done to prevent the divorce. If there was nothing you could do, then there is no reason to feel guilty.

• Like 1