Eating disorder post breakup

guest572

bubblesbursted
Can anorexia and bulimia occur after a breakup? What does it mean? Is it part of the grieving or a serious problem?

It did happen to me too! My doc said I was getting anorexic (?). Its normal from what I have read. Still cant bring myself to eat but its getting better. Its all a part of grieiving process :)

Take care of yourself!

• Like 1

It's not part of a grieving process at all.

It's indicative of something affecting you psychologically and interfering with your normal function.

In your particular case(s) the break up experienced has had a traumatic effect in excess of the level you are mentally equipped to be able to deal with.

And that's ok.

But it needs addressing, because if you don't deal with it head on, it becomes a condition you may not be able to overcome in a reasonable period.

Speak to your doctor.

He or she should be able to refer you to someone who can be of immediate assistance.

It's not a stupid or trivial cause, either.

Remember Queen Victoria became a recluse after her husband, Albert died, for nearly 20 years.

Not a good thing when you're a reigning monarch.

Try to up your vitamin and mineral supplement intake too.

Bulimics and anorexics have been found to have dangerously low lwvwls of zinc.

Good luck.

Mourn by all means, but take care of you.

• Like 2
bubblesbursted
It's not part of a grieving process at all.

It's indicative of something affecting you psychologically and interfering with your normal function.

In your particular case(s) the break up experienced has had a traumatic effect in excess of the level you are mentally equipped to be able to deal with.

And that's ok.

But it needs addressing, because if you don't deal with it head on, it becomes a condition you may not be able to overcome in a reasonable period.

Speak to your doctor.

He or she should be able to refer you to someone who can be of immediate assistance.

It's not a stupid or trivial cause, either.

Remember Queen Victoria became a recluse after her husband, Albert died, for nearly 20 years.

Not a good thing when you're a reigning monarch.

Try to up your vitamin and mineral supplement intake too.

Bulimics and anorexics have been found to have dangerously low lwvwls of zinc.

Good luck.

Mourn by all means, but take care of you.

My doc prescribed me B complex and asked me to have protien drink. I thought it was all a part of grieiving process :(

(That should read 'levels'.... I'm typing in the dark!! :D)

No, it's not a natural part of the grieving process.

Grieving can entail a loss of appetite, it's true, but this is temporary.

If this loss of appetite develops into an eating disorder, it's gotten out of hand and needs professional attention and intervention.

The grieving is no longer the main issue.

The main issue now, is that you've developed a psychologically-negative condition which is harmful to you, and which is extremely difficult to overcome or control, without professional help.

Tara,

Much as i hate to disagree with you. The same happened to me. I stopped eating, lost so much weight. I just could not face the thought of food. For me it was part of the process. It got better as time went on. I never had any issues with food before the break up. I know how it works and have seen it close hand with many friends of mine in my work where ED are rife. The will to not feel good to punish oneself. OP i hope it does get better for you.

Tara,

Much as i hate to disagree with you. The same happened to me. I stopped eating, lost so much weight. I just could not face the thought of food. For me it was part of the process. It got better as time went on. I never had any issues with food before the break up. I know how it works and have seen it close hand with many friends of mine in my work where ED are rife. The will to not feel good to punish oneself. OP i hope it does get better for you.

There's the key phrase.

You didn't read my posts properly.:rolleyes:

I did say that loss of appetite after a break is quite common.

it's when it escalates into something you can't control that it becomes a problem.

Yes. Because it's not developed into an eating disorder.

Yes you are quite right Tara. (Sorry)(Yes i skimmed!)

It can get easily out of hand.

There's the key phrase.

You didn't read my posts properly.:rolleyes:

I did say that loss of appetite after a break is quite common.

it's when it escalates into something you can't control that it becomes a problem.

Loss of appetite over a break-up is far different from bullemia and anorexia, OP. I didn't eat for over a week after my break-up but soon I started regaining my appetite. I lost a lot of weight and at one point couldn't even hold my head up. Eating disorder? No. Loss of appetite due to bad depression and trauma? Yes.

So, OP it is a serious problem if you believe you are suffering from an eating disorder. Please see your doctor.

• Like 1
Can anorexia and bulimia occur after a breakup? What does it mean? Is it part of the grieving or a serious problem?

Are you actually experiencing sysmptons of anorexia and bulimia or did you just lose your appetite?

It's very common to lose weight after a breakup.

I've lost about 10 lbs since my ex dumped me two months ago. I just don't have any desire to eat.

I lost 12 lbs and had no appetite. I had no energy and along with not eating, I hardly slept. I was a walking zombie. My appetite didn't come back to normal until 4 months post BU.

Not eating and losing weight because you're stressed can be normal.

Actively making yourself throw up because you're stressed is not normal, and that's a whole different psychological problem than stress due to a break-up.

StringsAttached

I lost 20 lbs post breakup, that lasted a good 5-6 months.

I started smoking weed too so that only added to the problem.

Start exercising and try out new recipes. I've gained about my 20lbs back and another 10lbs on top of that lol.

Food is my new love.

I used to go days without eating, not because I was on strike but because I genuinely wasn't hungry at all. I had to force myself to eat. Things are much better now.

I have currently lost 10 pounds... And I am already a thin girl. It is not because I am purposefully not eating...I just have NO appetite. I have started drinking Ensure to help gain weight and have been forcing two meals a day. I am hoping to get back to normal eating habits soon.

I also went through the same thing. I'm 5'2 and was 137. I went down to 109 in a matter of 4 months. I couldnt eat for days. I would try and i just couldnt even swallow the food. try eating things like apple sauce and juice. Try eating fruit. It does get better. I am now 7 months post bu and I have been back to my normal eating for about 3 months. I'm back to 115 and I think this is a healthy weight for me. With time your apetitie will return. But if you think its out of control I would consult with both a doctor and a psychologist. Im not trying to make a joke of the matter but the only good thing that has came out of my break up is the weight i lost. I have more confidence and love the way my clothes fit. I watch what i eat now and try to maintain my current weight.

• Author

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will be ok and just see how it goes, might need to see doctor if things don't improve.

OP, you mentioned bulimia too and most people are responding only to the anorexia. Are you vomiting or having other bulimic behaviors too?

Vomiting can be caused by excessive stress combined with other factors.

If it's only a one time thing, I doubt it's bulimia.

Hey there

Just adding my personal experience to the conversation in the case it might help.

Anorexia and bulimia are eating disorders, and you should get medical advice as suggested by others if you believe you have these eating disorder conditions.

If you are instead experiencing just lack of appetite temporarily then its not as serious but you can get medical advice if it worsens.

Ok, my experience.... I have had both vomiting and lack of appetite, mainly induced by finding out new information about him.

I vomited and felt nauseous for about a week after I found out my ex had a new girlfriend already sorry correction 'friend' as he termed it, which was apparently 'all in my head' (really they were doing stuff) this was accompanied by lack of appetite because I felt nauseous. I skipped meals, didn't eat breakfast, skipped lunch and had maybe a smaller portion for the evening meal. I also had insomnia on and off and also really bad nightmares.

My intake of food shrunk drastically, if I ate too much I felt sick and really I couldn't eat that much due to lack of appetite. I used to enjoy food but not anymore. I still don't really but I've got my appetite back.

Anyway this went on from August till end of December. I lost two stones in the process and dropped about two-three dress sizes.

Also, like you I started to get worried that it would develop into an eating disorder as this went on for about 5 months and started back up again.

As I was fine in January then had another setback early January when he contacted me to try to be friends, conversation ended really badly made me upset and I couldn't eat properly again for maybe two weeks. I'm ok now but still don't really like eating, it's more necessity for sustenance and energy.

Hope this helps and that you feel better soon in terms of your eating habits.

Edited by sugarpea

Sugar Pea,

Your eating symptoms are very similar to mine. Any new information- or even if I imagine information about him, I have thrown up. It's crazy because he is the only person I have ever had this reaction to. I am beyond exhausted... And just ordered a pizza. I will force myself to eat!