unleashing creativity after a breakup ...

melenkurion

I've been wondering about how to get something positive from the worst thing that has ever happened to me. There's the obvious thing of getting "me" back, taking it as a chance to re-evaluate everything in my life and so on...

However... I've been thinking about how a lot of quite profound stuff gets created in the horrible aftermath of really nasty breakup. I know that's something of a cliché, but that doesn't mean there is no truth to it. As an example, I've listened to an awful lot of songs that seem very much like they come from the depths of experiencing heartbreak. I can't think of any other examples right now, but I am pretty convinced that there are great novels, plays, paintings, sculptures, architecture, even websites that have come out of these painful experiences.

I'm interested to know if anyone here has found that their breakup really unleashed their creativity in some way? Did that happen later, when things were calmer, or when the raging emotional torrent was still in flood?

I wrote/typed - a lot - just to get the thoughts out of my head. I now have pages and pages of material if I ever want to make something of it.

I also found a class in clay sculpture very therapeutic.

My most creative periods were in the early days when I could translate the emotions into something more tangible. Just letting go so that whatever came, came. The process helped me to focus and also get through the day sometimes.

In the early days, not a lot got done during the calmer periods. Best to find a way to channel the energy while you still have it.

Duckduckgoose

Hmm... I been painting, drawing, putting puzzles together.

Also a lot of typing, but not the writing kind of typing, the journalling kind of typing to get my anger and other emotions out during the divorce process.

The puzzles, as well as working my mind and giving me something to do, will be framed and put on my wall... the walls are kind empty right now.:p

I've created a lot of things in the wake of my latest breakup.

It came from deep mourning.

At first, I was too depressed to do a thing.

The sadness grew and grew until I vomited it up all over the canvas.

I became passionate about mixed-media collages-something I'd never done. Pretty happy with the outcome.

In a previous life, I did some set design.

Weeks ago, I became obsessed with recreating my environment to reflect my new start and newly-invigorated spirituality.

My funky little home went from Scandinavian minimalism to something out of The Arabian Nights.

I love it.

I say, if you're feeling it at all...go, go GO FOR IT!!! :bunny:

Lend your creative energies, please! I have a personal statement I need to write for my masters programs. :)

mel, I'm so happy for you. Creative outlets are so good as opposed to dwelling, being back and forth about whether to call or not... I'm so, so happy for you.

I've made glass tile mosaics for years now, but I've always based my mosaics on public domain pics or patterns.

After my break up, I designed my first completely original 2ft by 2ft mosaic. I'm still working on it because I keep running out of white tiles. It sums up the end of my relationship quite nicely. It was very therapeutic to come up with the idea, draw it, and bring it to life.

It was going to be a tattoo, but I decided it's best to not make such decisions in a bad state of mind... so it's a mosaic :)