Rubber Band Trick

J0N

Has anybody tried this? Now that I am about 60 days into my breakup and NC. Somebody told me an easy way to stop yourself from thinking about your ex is to wear a rubber band on your wrist and snap it every time you think about your ex. I have been doing this for a couple days and it seems to be helping. (I hope this doesn't make me seem totally nuts) :)

Its supposed to prevent you from thinking about your ex all the time. You commit to something else that isn't just thinking about them, and eventually the pain you feel from the rubber band is supposed to be enough of a deterent to slowly but surely stop thinking about them.

To be honest, it might work. But you have to stay committed to making sure you snap every damn time you think about them. You'll either just kick yourself in the ass and stop thinking about em or just give up on the rubber band trick and end up with a nice bruise. If you're the kinda person that can stick to things like that, then go for it. But if you can't, just get a new hobby like working out or something. Self-improvement is always the best way to get your mind off things.

• Author

I have been working out alot, but I still can't seem to get my mind off her all the time. It seems to be fading, but sometimes I starry pining at the strangest times.

Reminded me of Classical Conditioning with Pavlov’s dogs.

I think it could work as long as you snap it just hard enough to make it unpleasant and are extremely consistent.

I've done that exercise when I left my five year relationship and it worked for me. Now I'm in the throes of trying to leave behind another relationship maybe I should employ that method once again.

I did it to get over someone in the past.

It worked very well.

After a couple of weeks, I just wore the rubber band around my wrist as a visual reminder to keep policing my thoughts and actively stop them at the gate. As SOON as something reminds you of her, you must stop the thought cold and replace it with another thought immediately.

Edited by cerridwen
Has anybody tried this? Now that I am about 60 days into my breakup and NC. Somebody told me an easy way to stop yourself from thinking about your ex is to wear a rubber band on your wrist and snap it every time you think about your ex. I have been doing this for a couple days and it seems to be helping. (I hope this doesn't make me seem totally nuts) :)

wouldnt this be classed as some form of self harm?

• Author

Not really, to be honest I gave up on it. It didn't really have any material effect, plus it made my arm itchy. Now I just try to keep myself as distracted as possible.

I reckon im going to try it. And im going to buy the thickest rubber band i can find. But i reckon im going to look like a retard walking around snapping a rubber band on my wrist literally 23 hours of the day.:laugh:

• Author

Yea, people at work started looking at me strangely at work. It definitely does work though. You'll find yourself thinking "I don't want to snap myself again so I'll just think about something else" especially if you get one that really hurts.