Best Christmas gift ever!

now_what

MY ex stopped into town last Sunday to exchange gifts with our two daughters - they met at my older daughter's house and he stayed for all of 20 minutes with his new wife. I later asked my younger daughter (16 years old) if she had wanted to spend any more time with her dad over the holidays. She said no, it would be awkward and she wanted to be with me and her family. She then said she had nothing to say to her dad's wife. She said what could she say? Thank you for coming into my home and taking my dad from me?

At last she has brought her true feelings out into the open. She has really not said much about the situation other than she thought her dad was being selfish and she had been sad at first of course. I thought I will let it go at that. If she had wanted to spend time with her dad, I would encourage her to do so, even thought I really wanted her to be with me.

So very selfishly, it makes me feel good that she wants to be with me and values our family traditions - like Christmas Eve dinner at her grandparent's house. If her dad expects her to someday greet his wife with open arms, he will be waiting a long time. He has been remarried now for 7 months and in that whole time, she has spent about 20 minutes around the new wife.

I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and happy holidays and hopefully we can all look forward to a much better 2010!!!

• Author

I don't want to seem like I'm gloating that she doesn't want to spend more time with her dad. If he had handled the situation differently, I sure she might want to. After he left, she said she might want to go visit him at his house, that was until she learned that he had left for another woman and was living with her.

It just makes me feel good that my daughter actually likes to spend time with me - some kids don't want to spend much time with either parent.