LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Breaking Up, Reconciliation & Coping > Coping

I lost a dear, dear friend today

Coping Learning to deal with one's emotions and loss.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2009, 9:36 PM   #1
Established Member

I lost a dear, dear friend today

Hi all. I needed somewhere to talk, and someone to talk to this evening. I found out that I lost a very good friend today. Her name was Karen.

We met 6 years ago. Fixed up on a "blind date". There was no chemistry or attraction on my side so a romantic connection never developed. Instead we became very, very good and close friends. She was a one in a million lady. I was blessed to meet her children and grandchildren. And was lucky enough to become an everyday part of her life. Even though we lived 200 miles apart we talked every day.

She was a great person to spend time with. A great person to have dinner with. Go to events, and concerts. In April I drove to her town and we enjoyed Elton John and Billy Joel together, one of the best concerts I've ever been to. I felt so lucky to be able to share it with her. It was amazing to see how much she loved the show. She oftened visited me in my new home too... and now she's passed away.

I so wish I could have been there. I wish I could have been more of what she wanted and needed me to be. I tried to be her friend, and I know I succeeded. It just wasn't enough.

Again and again, I ache for someone gone, or who has passed. I know it's a fact of being a 58 year old man. I'm beginning to outlive my friends. It doesen't hurt any less. In fact it hurts more. Be the best friends and partners you can be LS friends. It can come to an end in an instant.
LakesideDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 9:43 PM   #2
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
I`s sorry to hear this Lakeside. My heart goes out to you, for your loss. RIP Karen.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 9:48 PM   #3
Established Member

it's hard- i am sorry for your loss LSD. but there is more joy in memories and the blessing of having been able to know her.

celebrate her life!
Old 12th July 2009, 9:50 PM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
I`s sorry to hear this Lakeside. My heart goes out to you, for your loss. RIP Karen.

Thank you TBF. I feel so guilty. I could never be there in the way I know she wanted me to be. She carried a torch, and I Know how hard and lonely that can be.
Old 12th July 2009, 9:52 PM   #5
Established Member

Im so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
jj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 9:57 PM   #6
Established Member

Sorry for your loss.. best friends are the greatest gifts of live (along with children)..

Lake.. come on.. 58 is still very young.. it is very unfortunate that she dies so young.. but don't be so 'negative' about your age..

I just turned 57 ... but I feel like I'm 35..
Lizzie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 9:58 PM   #7
Established Member

I've noticed something different. I don't feel like I've lost something. Rather I'm just sad, very sad. She'd been unhappy for awhile, and in ill health. Still we maintained our friendship. I feel so bad that she's gone. Bad for her.
Old 12th July 2009, 9:59 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie60 View Post
Sorry for your loss.. best friends are the greatest gifts of live (along with children)..

Lake.. come on.. 58 is still very young.. it is very unfortunate that she dies so young.. but don't be so 'negative' about your age..

I just turned 57 ... but I feel like I'm 35..

You're always so cool Lizzie. Thank you.
Old 12th July 2009, 10:23 PM   #9
Established Member

Journal Entries: 8
I'm sorry for your loss, lake, though I'm glad she was such a blessing in your life.
quankanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quankanne View Post
I'm sorry for your loss, lake, though I'm glad she was such a blessing in your life.
Thank you quankanne, my loss pales in comparison to her adult children, and her grandchildrens. Both her daughters, both grown women, and her brothers called me today to tell me they were sorry for MY LOSS. What an unbelievable and tender sentiment. I couldn't believe their compassion.

Like their mother, and sister.
Old 13th July 2009, 1:15 AM   #11
Established Member

LSD, my heartfelt condolences goes to you. I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 13th July 2009, 1:23 AM   #12

I'm so sorry for your loss, Lake.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 1:27 AM   #13
Established Member

<<<<<lsd>>>>>>
boldjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 1:28 AM   #14
Established Member

Journal Entries: 39
My condolences on your loss, Lakeside. She must've been one of your early 'dates' after your divorce. Good on ya for making so many great memories with her. When we come to die, memories are all we have. Godspeed to dearest Karen. May she live on in all who loved her
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 3:03 AM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post
My condolences on your loss, Lakeside. She must've been one of your early 'dates' after your divorce. Good on ya for making so many great memories with her. When we come to die, memories are all we have. Godspeed to dearest Karen. May she live on in all who loved her

Actually Car, it was over 3 years after the divorce, in the months following my near fatal hospital stay. She was a good gal, and I am lucky to have become fast friends with her. It was good to have a friend to do things with without pressure I couldn't withstand. Romance wasn't, still isn't in the cards I'm afraid. To much baggage in my trunk I'm afraid. Still, there wasn't anything I wouldn't have done for the gal. I'm so sorry she didn't have a longer life.