How should I act?

kquick

Help! My partner and I are in a long term committed relationship though we currently live in different states. He has recently recognized an illigitimate daughter (which I have always known the possibility of) who lives overseas. He has visited her and her mother (they were coworkers at one time and do not have a sexual relationship now) once and has brought them over to the US for a visit recently.

After spending half the week with him, they came to my house to meet me and my sons (her half brothers). Everything seemed to go very well and everyone got along great. I was very pleased with the whole thing, though it might have been unconventional.

However, after returning home, the little girl (11) and her morhter have decided that they didn't like coming to my house and it was wrong for her father to have "subjected" her to that. The little girl is obviously jealous of the "other family" (that she knew about) and refuses to speak to her father.

Were we wrong to introduce the 2 families? How do we proceed? Should he visit her on his own from now on and never include the other family again? Will time take care of it?

Sounds like the normal reaction of an 11-year-old girl. She'll get over it in time. Meanwhile, there's simply no reason to blend families for a while.

Time will take care of this and eventually all will live happily ever after. Find other things to concern yourself about.