need advice for friend with boy friend involved in drugs

she is in a relationship with a guy that was verry involved with drugs and alcohol but she's the olney one keeping him sober. she doesn't want to be part of the relationship anymore, what should she do?

It's possible to go through a short phase of drinking and pull out, especially a "kid".

But if he really does a have a problem and it's been awhile........

She should dump him yesterday! Most of the time you can't help such people, and if you actually can help him, it will sooner or later relapse.

I'm in my forties and cannot count the number of times I've watched this played out.

It's not politically correct, but these people programmed to abuse by a very early age, they can't be cured.

If she doesn't want to be involved with him anymore, she should end the relationship.

However serious his drug problems are, he's the only person that can change his habits or seek help for it. Staying with him as a crutch won't help him out long term.

I agree with the above post. You can't make an alcohalic stop drinking. you can be there for him while hes going through it but you can't make him stop if he doesn't want to.

Yeah, it's true. You can't help an addict yourself. It will only drain you, but it is a def. turn-off to see someone like that. They need professional help. You can push them a little, but it has to be their choice.:sick: