Community Forums

Reload this Page Community Forums > Breaking Up, Reconciliation & Coping > Breaks and Breaking Up

Me and my girlfriend of 2 years broke up over drugs

Breaks and Breaking Up It happens to most everyone at some point in life! Share your experiences!

Like Tree40Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2018, 6:15 AM   #1
Established Member
Me and my girlfriend of 2 years broke up over drugs

Hi guys

Iíve had been with my girlfriend for over 2 years. We lived together for little over a year. She has been lying to me about her cocaine use. She smokes weed every night without fail. It had become an issue for me when I moved in to her flat (which she owns) and I realised just how much she takes cocaine. After many arguments she has promised me she would cut down/change. In her mind she simply doesnít have a problem. The cannabis didnít bother me as much.. but the smell of it EVERY EVENING. It gets really boring. Sheíd cut down from 7 days to 5 .. maybe 4 at most.

She goes raving about once a month, takes Ketimene, E, Cocaine, nitrous. It takes her a weekend to recover.. so doing anything is a right off for us.

The most worrying part is the cocaine use. Almost all of her social group take it. So when she seeís them (everyother weekend) she takes it. Weíve been on dates eating a restaurants and after she eats.. sheís in and out of the toilet every 15mins. I strongly suspect sheís taking it when she meets friends out in during the week. Iíve found it on surfaces of her make up dresser in our bedroom after sheís had friends over. She's done it openly in front of me to spite me.. because Iíd accused her of it and she hadnít been?

Last month we went away for a few days and she found a gram of Ketimene and an E in her purse.... that ďshe didnít know was thereĒ !! on a plane .. through customs!? Either she lied or sheís got so many bags of drugs lying around she doesnít know where they are?! Both are hugely concerning.

Screaming matches, tears .. threats of leaving. None of it works, it would go away for a bit, but eventually itíd come creeping back with a vengeance.

Sheís 33 and wanted to marry and have children next year. I have no doubt sheíd be a great mother.. sheís a wonderful giving person. But when sheís on drugs (cocaine) sheís a selfish dickhead. Much like EVERYONE on cocaine imo.

Itís gotten to a point where Iím completely paranoid, whenever we go out.. is she doing it? Isnít she doing it!? Itís a HORRIBLE feeling. As a result Iíve shut down and the relationship has broken down to nothing. She talks to her friends (who take drugs) and of course they say.. whys he so high and mighty? Heís boring .. narrow minded.. you can do what you want. Thereís nothing wrong with it!? Etc etc.

To make matters worse, we live with a flat mate (whoís a friend of hers) who is completely stirring things up. When my ex wasnít around she drop hints about her drug use. Then - discovered she was sowing seeds of insecurity with my ex about me behind my back. Sheís been paying low rent for years and knows if sheís kicked out. Because Iím there. Sheíll never find a place with rent that low.

Friday she called me at 2:00am to tell me sheís bringing friends home from a rave to take drugs. Which led to a screaming match. I went and stayed with friends for 4 days before having ďthe talkĒ last night. Which led to her turning it all around on me.. Iíve ****ed it up. Itís my fault. Im a miserable bastard who wonít allow himself to have fun. Incapable of showing my feelings. Hates the site of her having fun.. has more friends than me, Iím jealous etc etc.

So Iíve left.. and currently looking for a place to live. Itís not all her fault, my trust has gone and Iíve shut down and I havenít been dealing with it in a great way.

Anyone have similar experiences with drugs/alcohol/denial?
eyeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 6:17 AM   #2
Established Member
Addicts always choose their substance over people. As hard as it may be, you can't continue this so you have to walk away.
S2B, eyeam and KLB1996 like this.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 6:28 AM   #3
Established Member
bullet dodged
staggerlee71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 6:34 AM   #4
Established Member
Good for you for leaving, OP.

She is an addict. And she is going to wind up in serious trouble - either physically, emotionally, legally or some combination of all three. You don't want to be there when it all comes crashing down.

As it stands, she would be a terrible mother. She might have a lot of love in heart and love the idea of a family, but she is absolutely in no way ready for it and it's very unlikely she'll be ready in only a year given the state she's in now. Her drugs come first. At 33, she should long ago have left the hard-partying phase behind her.

This is not a woman you could have built and sound and stable future with.
KLB1996 likes this.
ExpatInItaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 9:38 AM   #5
Established Member
Sheís telling me itís all in my head and Iím paranoid.. Iím mad.

Given how Iíve caught her out in the past, how could I not be?
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Established Member
Originally Posted by eyeam View Post
She’s telling me it’s all in my head and I’m paranoid.. I’m mad.

Given how I’ve caught her out in the past, how could I not be?
Their train of thought is that everybody else is in the wrong and that comes form a strong sense of entitlement and selfishness. My father was an alcoholic. It was in everyone's head and everyone was in the wrong.

You did the right thing. She's made a choice for herself and you had to as well. If your goals and values aren't in line, there is no compatibility.

Addiction is very difficult to overcome. She has a very long road ahead of her. It's time you move on.
Minneloa and eyeam like this.
One regret, my dear world, that I am determined not to have when I am lying on my deathbed is that I did not kiss you enough ~ Hafiz
Zahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Established Member
I lived with a drunk/druggie, and from first hand experience I can tell you that her bond is with the drugs and not with you. Any attempts you make to talk to her about it will result in a meltdown. It's not your job to maker her stop; it's hers.

People don't change. You are lucky to be out and this is a blessing in disguise.
S2B likes this.
Hoosfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:43 AM   #8
Established Member
You have no idea...

Originally Posted by eyeam View Post
Sheís telling me itís all in my head and Iím paranoid.. Iím mad.

Given how Iíve caught her out in the past, how could I not be?
You have no idea... what a bullet you have dodged.

People that are 33 as still parting like this... they have a problem.

They are not marriage material, or the should not be.

You just have no idea how bad it could get if you got married and god forbid had children with her.

I have lived this before and it can be a nightmare...
BluesPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 3:15 PM   #9
Established Member
She's an overdose waiting to happen.
Whodatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 3:32 PM   #10
Man I literally just got out of a relationship (2years) that sounds very very similar. She struggled with depression, alcoholism, and cocaine addiction. She would get blackout drunk/high on cocaine, and scream and yell at me for anything and everything. Eventually she started throwing things and breaking stuff around the house.
I finally said enough was enough, and I was accused of "abandoning" her in her darkest time. The thing is though, it will never be my job, or anyone else's for that matter to bring her out of that place. It's her task alone. I'm telling you man, get out of there now, and don't look back. It's gonna hurt like hell, you'll be lonely and start to doubt your decision, but I swear you are doing the right thing. She's going to be selfish as hell, and is going to try and manipulate your feelings to make you think it was all your fault, but set some damn boundaries and stick to them. Are you a man or a mouse?
meepins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 4:33 PM   #11
Established Member
Have compassion for her...from a safe, far distance.

As others have mentioned, you stand no chance against her addiction.

Al-Anon has a popular phrase: "I didn't cause it. I can't control it. I can't fix it."
magnesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 6:13 PM   #12
Established Member
This woman is a disaster. She would be a terrible mother--not sure in what universe you think she would somehow be able to clean up her act enough to be present and safe with children. She's not even mature enough to be in a relationship, much less be married with kids.

She's gas lighting you.

Keep walking.
eyeam and ShyLove like this.
healing light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 5:27 AM   #13
Established Member
Thanks guys

This is our first weekend apart since the break up (which is mutual btw) and her way of dealing with it was of course to go out and get high and drunk on Friday night with her friends. which was predictable.

She holds down a job.. and does it well. Goes to the gym twice a week. Thing is .. she has a well paying job, no morgage, rent money from her house mate.. and her wealthy Daddy pays all the bills. Itís not like sheís ever going to run out of money to blow on drugs.

Iím moderately deep into a depression- which I have been for months (partly due to this) havenít eaten, canít sleep - when I do I have nightmares. I super anxious and stressed about having to find a place to live. Currently couch surfing. Going to seek counselling ASAP.
Old 5th March 2018, 9:33 PM   #14
I have seen the devastation and deception of cocaine first hand. Until the person caught in its web wants freedom from the drug, there is not much you can do from the outside.
I just prayed for her to see the truth about the drugs, and am praying for you to have the wisdom to navigate this difficult time. Sometimes we have to do the hard thing, like walk away, because it is the best thing for you and for her.
Good idea to seek counseling. Sometimes another perspective can help keep you on balance.
S2B and eyeam like this.
LovenHopenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 11:18 AM   #15
Please see the message I just posted about my alcoholic ex boyfriend. He also regularly uses cocaine, weed, ecstasy and pretty much any other drug he can get his hands on. He's nearly 41 and will not live much longer at this rate. I refuse to watch him slowly kill himself and I refuse to be his punching bag.

You are worthy of someone who loves and respects you all the time. We cannot use the excuse that they are "great" when they are not using. As a previous poster said, the drugs and alcohol will win everytime.
S2B likes this.
KLB1996 is offline   Reply With Quote