How to be a dumper?

Hi, everybody!

I have a question for you: what to do when you are the dumper and you start to feel the "void"?

I don't want a relationship with the same person again, I'm happy for my decision, it's the best for me and probably the best for him (although that's for him to decide).

But there was a connection, there was an attachment, so after feeling relieved for having made the right choice, I naturally feel a "void" now, that comes from "missing" that connection, that attachament. Maybe even that person, as just a person, not as a SO.

We were on and off before finally breaking up (which was almost 2 months ago, no more contact from me since then, some weekly short emails from him, no response from me). He kept insisting as I said, which drove me away a bit. But I totally understand, each one does what they think it's best for themselves and deals with their feelings their own way. I think he finally gets it and hopefully is moving on with his life, which I'm happy for. I think that all that had to be said was said, there was a peaceful taste to it and all, so it wasn't an ugly breakup after all.

You may say I "miss" him now because he has seemingly stopped to try to reach me. Could be. Or maybe his attemps (weekly emails) were irritating me and now that they're over, I can finally feel that the relationship is over so I have just started to be able to "grieve" it - dumpers grieve too, that's for sure.

I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do as the dumper. I know that, as I don't want to reconcile, reaching out could perhaps give him some false hopes and set him up for more pain. I don't want that.

But some part of my mind tricks me into contacting him (I haven't) just to show him that I care about him, that although we're not together anymore, he means something to me. It seems so odd to me that we had such a nice connection and now we simply won't talk EVER AGAIN. I guess that's what you get when you break up with someone. But these "can we be friends" sort of feelings are coming and I want to know what to do. Maybe not friends. But I just feel weird that I won't talk to him anymore and I get to think "would he want to hear from me from a friendly place or, if I'm not willing to give him a chance, I shouldn't even botter?"

I'm inclined not to contact him, I think it's for the best, at least for some more months (we were together for almost a year), but would like to hear your perspective, please.

About contacting the dumpee, look what was said here. This makes me think... (point 5):

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/insight-is-2020/201207/breakup-etiquette-what-say-when-end-relationship-tips

Thanks!

I wouldn't contact him. It will give him hope and he might read into it.

My ex would text me all the time and beg to be friends months after we broke up. Eventually wanting to reconcile to dump me all over again. I wish he had just stayed away and stood by his decision.

It set me back in my grieving process a lot. So no I think you're better off leaving him be :) Maybe if you ever run into him again, there's room for some friendly banter but for now I would let it be.

• Like 1

We were on and off before finally breaking up (which was almost 2 months ago, no more contact from me since then, some weekly short emails from him, no response from me). He kept insisting as I said, which drove me away a bit. But I totally understand, each one does what they think it's best for themselves and deals with their feelings their own way. I think he finally gets it and hopefully is moving on with his life, which I'm happy for. I think that all that had to be said was said, there was a peaceful taste to it and all, so it wasn't an ugly breakup after all.

You may say I "miss" him now because he has seemingly stopped to try to reach me. Could be. Or maybe his attemps (weekly emails) were irritating me and now that they're over, I can finally feel that the relationship is over so I have just started to be able to "grieve" it - dumpers grieve too, that's for sure.

He was boosting your ego there for awhile with his contact and now that he has stopped, you're facing withdrawals. And his contact may also have been distracting you from the finality of it and now that he has remained NC, the reality is setting in and the grieving is beginning.

I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do as the dumper. I know that, as I don't want to reconcile, reaching out could perhaps give him some false hopes and set him up for more pain. I don't want that.

Yes. It would be the unkind thing to do. As a dumper, you move on as well and focus on what's ahead.

But some part of my mind tricks me into contacting him (I haven't) just to show him that I care about him, that although we're not together anymore, he means something to me. It seems so odd to me that we had such a nice connection and now we simply won't talk EVER AGAIN. I guess that's what you get when you break up with someone. But these "can we be friends" sort of feelings are coming and I want to know what to do. Maybe not friends. But I just feel weird that I won't talk to him anymore and I get to think "would he want to hear from me from a friendly place or, if I'm not willing to give him a chance, I shouldn't even botter?"

The many times I have been a dumpee, my healing was often derailed by contact from the dumper. Knowing that they "still cared" made it even harder to move on. It often instilled hope and it caused more doubt and uncertainty.

In the beginning, those thoughts of never speaking again will be strong and daunting but as time moves on and as two people heal and head on different paths, your mindset will change. As the emotional attachment breaks, those thoughts will start to fade. You can't be friends when you are emotional about someone. If you do want to be friends, maybe when both of you have moved on and are somewhat indifferent to each other, then a friendship can happen but usually by then, your feelings and outlook would have drastically changed.

Allow the dumpee to heal and move on. Deal with your void on your own. He is not your crutch -- you left him for a reason. Bestow upon yourself and your ex the gift of healing.

About contacting the dumpee, look what was said here. This makes me think... (point 5):

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/insight-is-2020/201207/breakup-etiquette-what-say-when-end-relationship-tips

Breakups are painful. People process pain and grief in their own way and in their own time -- I think this approach only derails and causes more confusion.

Edited by Zahara
  • Like 3

I would not contact him.

The article you cited doesn't take into account who dumped who, and I think that is a mistake.

As someone who is currently in the position of your ex, and who is receiving occasional contact from the woman who dumped me (I'd be super curious as to your perspective on what she's doing, as you are in her position, btw), I can tell you that it is not helpful.

It is not as easy to move on right after being dumped. You don't feel relief. You feel confusion. And hurt. And a whole cocktail of bummer emotions. The process of letting go after being dumped is really, really difficult, and even if your intentions are pure, you are risking giving him false hope, even if all you do is say "I hope you are well."

That's not to say that down the line you may not find a way to peace with this person. But it will have to come in a more natural way than that.

I'm sure you know this, but the "void" you are feeling now is nothing compared to the void he is feeling. Leave him be. He has the harder task. It is selfish to put him through the confusion contact right now would cause.

• Like 2
  • Author
He was boosting your ego there for awhile with his contact and now that he has stopped, you're facing withdrawals. And his contact may also have been distracting you from the finality of it and now that he has remained NC, the reality is setting in and the grieving is beginning.

Yeah, I felt irritated by his constant contact because it seemed the end would never come. The finality, I really wanted that. And I'm happy I get it. But now that it's setting in, as you say, it's starting to play with my feelings, which is only natural. It's the grief :/

The many times I have been a dumpee, my healing was often derailed by contact from the dumper. Knowing that they "still cared" made it even harder to move on. It often instilled hope and it caused more doubt and uncertainty.

This is where I'm most confused about. I understand false hopes and that it would be cruel, but isn't it worse to think that you're not even remembered by your ex, or something like that? I sense it's a mindtrick, but I catch myself thinking "I don't want him to think he means nothing for me now. I'll always hold a place for him in my heart and I wish he knew that" (quite cheesy, I know haha). I guess it's just my confused feelings talking, including my ego.

In the beginning, those thoughts of never speaking again will be strong and daunting but as time moves on and as two people heal and head on different paths, your mindset will change. As the emotional attachment breaks, those thoughts will start to fade. You can't be friends when you are emotional about someone. If you do want to be friends, maybe when both of you have moved on and are somewhat indifferent to each other, then a friendship can happen but usually by then, your feelings and outlook would have drastically changed.

I feel sort of sad to think that one day these feelings will change and the great fondness I feel for him may disappear - or whatever his feelings for me are might disappear as well.

Allow the dumpee to heal and move on. Deal with your void on your own. He is not your crutch -- you left him for a reason. Bestow upon yourself and your ex the gift of healing.

Breakups are painful. People process pain and grief in their own way and in their own time -- I think this approach only derails and causes more confusion.

Thanks for your wise words!!!

This is where I'm most confused about. I understand false hopes and that it would be cruel, but isn't it worse to think that you're not even remembered by your ex, or something like that? I sense it's a mindtrick, but I catch myself thinking "I don't want him to think he means nothing for me now. I'll always hold a place for him in my heart and I wish he knew that" (quite cheesy, I know haha). I guess it's just my confused feelings talking, including my ego.

I think you're on this train of thought because it helps you justify contact -- contact that allows YOU to feel better. I don't really think this is about you wanting to make him feel better because when he was contacting you, it was irritating you and you couldn't wait for him to go away. Now that he is, your junkie mind is looking for ways to fill the void and help you ease your discomfort.

No, giving a dumpee false hope is far more cruel than a dumpee wondering if you care. At some point all that wondering if you care will fade and the dumpee will move on. But what you are thinking of doing leaves the dumpee in indefinite confusion and anxiety.

I feel sort of sad to think that one day these feelings will change and the great fondness I feel for him may disappear - or whatever his feelings for me are might disappear as well.

And it's normal to feel sad. Dumpers grieve too and have to find their own way to emotionally detach. But you can't break up with someone and then try to keep them in your sights because it helps ease your transition.

You will feel indifferent in time. Not with the sadness and heaviness you feel now. So don't project what you feel now into the future. It won't be the same nor will it be that emotional.

Leave him alone and let him heal. He has a larger hurdle to cross. Allow him to find his own way through his grief without any distractions from you.

Edited by Zahara
  • Like 2
  • Author
I would not contact him.

The article you cited doesn't take into account who dumped who, and I think that is a mistake.

As someone who is currently in the position of your ex, and who is receiving occasional contact from the woman who dumped me (I'd be super curious as to your perspective on what she's doing, as you are in her position, btw), I can tell you that it is not helpful.

It is not as easy to move on right after being dumped. You don't feel relief. You feel confusion. And hurt. And a whole cocktail of bummer emotions. The process of letting go after being dumped is really, really difficult, and even if your intentions are pure, you are risking giving him false hope, even if all you do is say "I hope you are well."

That's not to say that down the line you may not find a way to peace with this person. But it will have to come in a more natural way than that.

I'm sure you know this, but the "void" you are feeling now is nothing compared to the void he is feeling. Leave him be. He has the harder task. It is selfish to put him through the confusion contact right now would cause.

Thanks, Jack!

As I said in a previous response, I was looking forward to the finality. Breakups are never easy, and it does not feel good AT ALL to hurt someone you care about. You just don't work together. You like them, but you're not compatible as a couple (in my case). I regret not staying friends only, I think. So the on and off which I went through really wore me down and I simply couldn't wait to say to myself "It's over". So of course his attempts to contact me only made me feel irritated.

They seem to be over now, so it feels good to have the finality I have wanted for so long. It feels peaceful. But along with that, there's the grief. At least for me, there's grief.

While we were on and off I grieved harder, it's a different kind of grief now, aided by the past of some time more, but it's still here. I reminisce about him, his good qualities, and what a pity it is that we "can't" talk anymore. There's surely a dosis of guilt to it all, to think that I hurt him.

I'm trying not to opt for the selfish path, doing things to just boost my ego and stuff, but there's a time your mixed feelings don't let you think properly.

Would you respect your ex more if she had broken up with you and left you alone for good?

All the best in your recovery!

• Author
At some point all that wondering if you care will fade and the dumpee will move on. But what you are thinking of doing leaves the dumpee in indefinite confusion and anxiety.

That's a great reality check!

I definitely need more time apart as it's clear I'm still in the hustle of processing it all, and probably so is he.

Let's see how I feel about "having him in my life"/ contacting him once I've moved on... Perhaps I'll really feel indifferent as you say.

:)

That's a great reality check!

I definitely need more time apart as it's clear I'm still in the hustle of processing it all, and probably so is he.

Let's see how I feel about "having him in my life"/ contacting him once I've moved on... Perhaps I'll really feel indifferent as you say.

:)

Also consider as to whether enough time has passed -- if HE has fully moved on. This isn't just about your healing, but his as well.

• Like 1

This is key.

You contacting him now is quite selfish because that's like saying you want him to do it on his own but now your feeling grief as well, you might require his assistance.

The only time you might want to contact him is when there is zero selfishness behind it. And to be honest, that day may never come. But that day isn't now, based on the way your talking.

I don't totally agree you can guarantee total indifference will come. Every breakup is different. I have some where I feel indifferent and others I don't. Functioning is important, indifference is a bonus but you don't always get there.

Edited by marky00
  • Like 2
  • Author
Also consider as to whether enough time has passed -- if HE has fully moved on. This isn't just about your healing, but his as well.

Indeed!

Is my "healing time" an indicator of his? In other words, how will I know? Not that I'll be counting days... But how does one know?

I guess it's just none of my business, right? Perhaps whenever (if) he reaches out, then I'll know...

Edited by mon.
typo
Indeed!

Is my "healing time" an indicator of his? In other words, how will I know? Not that I'll be counting days... But how does one know?

I guess it's just none of my business, right? Perhaps whenever (if) he reaches out, then I'll know...

No, it isn't. As I said people heal in their own way and in their own time.

I'd like to ask the question -- did you break up with him hoping it would provoke an emotional reaction -- in that maybe he would give you what you needed? Doesn't sound like you're sure about your decision?

Edited by Zahara
Indeed!

He won't be reaching out to you. He tried that already. I'm pretty sure he has decided to put himself first now.

• Like 2
  • Author
No, it isn't. As I said people heal in their own way and in their own time.

I'd like to ask the question -- did you break up with him hoping it would provoke an emotional reaction -- in that maybe he would give you what you needed? Doesn't sound like you're sure about your decision?

I think may I sound very desperate and selfish, hehehe... I'm fine, I just prefer venting here than ruining all the progress done.

No, I haven't really done that with ulterior motives. It had to be done because we weren't a fit in major things, not compatible after all. I'm not expecting him to do anything.

But, as pointed out, I'm still suffering from the "withdrawal" after our connection/ attachment.

It hits me harder some days than others and sometimes I just feel like checking in on him. Like an addiction, I guess (I liked the word "withdrawal" for this hehe)

But thanks you guys for putting some perspective here. I'm doing the right thing and I'll stick to it ;)

• Like 1
Thanks, Jack!

I'm trying not to opt for the selfish path, doing things to just boost my ego and stuff, but there's a time your mixed feelings don't let you think properly.

Would you respect your ex more if she had broken up with you and left you alone for good?

All the best in your recovery!

Hmmm . . . let me try to make sure I am being honest here. Would I respect her more if I had never heard from her after we broke up?

I think so. Every break up is different of course, but when we broke up I told her specifically that I would need space and that I would let her know when that time was up.

It is possible that time would never have come. Our breakup was ugly.

But consider his position. Let's assume he is still hurting over the breakup. If he only recently stopped sending you those emails, this is likely. It takes a good deal of time once you cut off contact with someone who dumped you to start to pull yourself together.

Now consider how he is likely to interpret a message from you. No matter how you word it, he is going to be, whether he wants to or not, scouring it for signs that you may still have romantic interest in him.

This can have two outcomes:

1) He misinterprets it as interest and gets his hopes up, only to have them dashed again, setting him back to the beginning of getting over you.

or

2) He works his way through that and realizes it doesn't mean anything romantic, also causing him to relive romantic hope and then crash down again.

In both cases, it sets him back.

You may find another way to let him know you care at some point. Some other opportunity may arise. Maybe someday you will find out he has moved on and is happy with someone else. Then . . . maybe you can wish him well or something. It's hard to say.

But I think you need to err on the side of thinking he is still working through getting over you and give him more time. I think your motivations are pure and you seem like a thoughtful person. Just remember it's going to take him longer than you, and if you are feeling mixed emotions you can be pretty sure he is too.

Give him more time than you think is necessary.

• Author

That's great, Jack!

I try to be thoughtful... it just gets mixed with my own feelings and ego and withdrawal and relief and hormones hahaha... so some days I don't know what to do and feel tempted to fall back to "old habits".

But overall I'm doing a good job in taking care of myself. Hope he's doing the same.

Hope you are too! ^^

CrazyKatLady

Personally, after the way my ex left, I would rather he stay NC (he initiated). I'd have even less respect for him if he did try to "show he cares" now. Just saying. Move on. I doubt they would want to hear from you, or they would reach out when they thought they could be your friend.

• Like 1

This is where I'm most confused about. I understand false hopes and that it would be cruel, but isn't it worse to think that you're not even remembered by your ex,

No. Definitely not.

Hopefully he is getting on with his life and starting to forget about you.

You are trying to justify contacting him to make yourself feel better. Own your decision to end things (it was the right one most likely) and the fact that you are a bit sad now is part of that.

Don't hurt him just to make things better for you.

• Like 1

As a dumpee myself I wouldn’t want my ex to contact me without a decision on her part to rekindle the relationship. Anything else is totally cruel.

Just let him recover and find someone else.

• Like 2
  • Author

So just to keep you posted:

Yesterday he emailed me again, just something random, and I realized this "endless end" is what kills me. I want to own my decision, I've kept no contact for almost 2 months, but then there's this lingering on his side. It makes me sad because it shows me he hasn't started to move on yet, which I want him to do, and at the same time, it does feed my ego, I don't deny it, and I can't properly move on either. A sort of a weekness, but anyway.

And it also makes me wonder "haven't I been clear enough? Did I do anything wrong in communicating that was the end?" - which I know it's not true, because it's not as if he's begging for explanations, it's just purely random.

So I took the opportunity and replied. Thought a lot before sending, wanted to be firm but not rude.

Here's what I said:

That's good, I'm glad.

You keep writing me. You haven't stopped. In 2 months. Using different email addresses. I don't know why you still do it, when I asked you not to.

I don't know if you didn't understand me, or you plainly want to disrespect my request, but I don't want to receive anything else from you. I don't want you to write me.

I want to keep moving forward, and I would really like you to do the same. That's the only option: moving on. And for that matter, contact has to be 0, at least for a while - I don't know how long for.

Does it mean that we will never speak again or that we will never be "friends" or something? I couldn't say it yet, it's too early. It's not about that anyway. It's not about me not appreciating you, it's just about moving forward. That chapter is closed and the next ones will be wonderful, but only if you accept the "death" of what happened and open yourself up to the "birth" of what's to come. Only if you take responsibility for your own happiness.

I care about you and I deeply want you to be happy, and I suppose you know this much, but I want to have my request respected. I need full distance (and you too, in fact), please.

Take care!

My first line is in response to the random piece of news he sent me.

In response to that, he said: "Oh, I see, you've met someone new. Congratulations!"

o.O I don't know where he got that from, certainly not from the email I sent! haha... I haven't met anyone new and deep inside I didn't want him to think that, I find it sort of "disrespectful" or at least weird when people get into new relationships so soon after a breakup.

But I left it at that, didn't say anything else and don't plan to. It's just my ego, wanting to look good at all times, so it's not worth the discussion. If thinking I have a new bf helps him to move on, then be it.

I'm really hoping this means the end of communication from him. Then I know I'll complete my healing. I know I shouldn't rely on his healing to have my own, but I see that this is what's been happening.

My boundaries with him have been reaffirmed and I think I left no room for false hopes. I'm ready to keep moving on, hope he does the same :)

Thanks for reading :) Any polite takes and views will be much appreciated!

• Like 1

His response was from hurt. I would just let it be and keep total NC with him -- just as you said you want to own your decision. Even if he does reach out again, ignore it. If you do, any attention, even negative is attention so don't give it to him because in his hurt and disappointment he's going to translate contact as hope.

Dumpees have a difficult time letting go. They're struggling with their pain and looking for ways to soothe and unfortunately, most times they seek out what is hurting them. Your response was empathetic but firm. Hopefully he moves on -- believing you may be with someone new will likely help him close the door.

• Author

"Translate contact as hope": that's so true. That's why I haven't said a word in 2 months. I wasn't sure about sending a response yesterday, for the same reason, but at the same time I wanted to make sure he understood my boundaries, because his contact was really affecting me.

I totally see his attempts of contact as a way to soothe his pain. And it makes me sad to see him hurting. Not guilty, I guess, not anymore, just sad. Added to my own share of natural breakup sadness.

(so dumpees, if you want to know whether dumpers hurt, yes they do!!! Hehe... Maybe not in the same way you do, but if they're a "normal person" and you shared mutual affection, don't assume they're all fine and dandy, even if that's what it looks like... if that's of any comfort)

I'm relieved to read that you think my response was empathetic but firm.

Yeap, keeping total NC!

• Like 1

Depends. I wouldn't want my ex to contact me just to make herself feel better. I would notice that one pretty quick. If she wanted to reach out to make me feel better, and go out of her way to support me and express that then I would reconsider. Unless you are really willing to go out of your way for this person I would steer clear, would probably just annoy them. Sure would annoy me. My suggestion is get it together, you made a decision, this is the outcome of that decision, think twice before getting into a committed relationship with someone about the reasons you are getting into a committed relationship.

Ouch,

I don't think you should have written that. That was way over the top as a dumper and just so much text.

I think your being somewhat unfair. You acknowledge its feeding your ego yet you actually just fed your ego immensely by sending that long speech.

When he disappears, you post here telling us you miss him and feel bad. Then when he breaks NC, your almost disgusted by it and take the ego boost.

I personally think a very short response or none at all would have been more appropriate.

You don't respect him.

Edited by marky00
  • Like 1
todreaminblue
POINT 5. A month after the breakup, send a kind but breezy email to your ex and say that you hope he or she is doing well.

In most cases, it’s best to not get into a back-and-forth exchange, so leave it at one or two emails and then let it go. After all, it’s time to move on—remember? Most of all, don’t contact each other too soon after the breakup. Both of you will probably be flooded with mixed up feelings, and you don’t want to open the (romantic) door and confuse things. But sending an email an month or so after the breakup is a kind way to show that you haven't forgotten about your partner.

not really sure it might be ok.....for some to do this ...for others ...it might not be ok....personally ....if i break up with someone friend date lover partner whomever......depending on the break up level of feeling and emotive context involved......out of respect for them ....i do not contact them... they will contact me....if they do i answer.....always.....

if i want a person to stay in my life however .......i will contact them.....because its honest.....i want them in my life....so i reach out.....

i let them feel im there whatever the break up was about there's that reconciliation thing possible.....i let them know if you need me im here.....i show them an open door.....and then i wait .....

in this....the door was never shut by me in the first place.....the break up wasnt really wanted by me..theres that honesty behind me reaching out...that connection i have with them was never completely severed......and i try to build it again...the break up was either an unwelcome necessity....or out of integrity i needed to say bye but it was never intended to be forever....

so as i said reaching out has to be honest....you don't reach out ...unless your hand will stay put.......you shouldn't reach out to someone who is hurting,maybe missing you and say hey how are you i wish you well....and then disappear again...who is that to satisfy.....yourself or them....you reach out and contact because you want to continue contact or you ....leave them to heal ...in peace..o rif you want them in your life .....contact them directly....

there's ways to find out how people are doing without having to contact them..mutual friends family aquaintances....you can even pass a message on indirectly......care about them from a distance love them from afar not direct contact pray for them.... and let them heal.......deb

Edited by todreaminblue