Boy Nonsense

This is confusing, but i'll do my best to give a condensed version...

I didn't date anyone until I was 18. Then I met, Boy A, my first true love, and we were together for 4 years. Two of those 4 years were long-distance and it became too much. Our feelings for each other had pretty much died out, and even though I initiated the break-up, it was mutual.

In the last months of my relationship with Boy A, I met Boy B and we hung out as friends. As soon as my first relationship ended, I jumped right into a relationship with Boy B. So, we have been dating for 6 months. The first 3 months were awesome, the last three not so much.

Boy B and I are pretty much living together now. I work 49+ hours a week and he is taking classes right now (not working). I have recently become frustrated that he does not clean or do anything (but play video games) while I work, then I come home from work and have to clean, etc.

In the mean time, I have been trying to be really careful around the boys I hang out with. If I feel any tension or attraction, i'll just stop hanging out with them. Unfortunately, I missed one. I hung out with Boy C four times last week, and two of those times we kissed. We both agreed that we liked each other a lot, but neither of us is ready for another relationship. Yes, he did know that i was taken but I did not speak highly of my relationship. Boy C is now going to school out of state, so I may never see him again; though we are continuing contact through email.

The first day I hung out with Boy C, I decided that I did not want to be with Boy B and that I wanted to get my act together and move away and get a real job (as was my plan before I met Boy B).

Over the past few days, Boy B and I have been talking about breaking up. I brought it up, in the context of moving away to get a job. I also brought up all the issues about working and cleaning. He spent a day being the "model boyfriend." Yes, I completely realize that his act will probably end once the threat of me leaving is taken away.

So, I pretty much ended it with Boy B two days ago. I said "i do not want this" and then started sobbing (because i just felt really bad, since he likes me so much). He started to leave, but instead begged for thirty minutes about how i have to trust him that he is willling to change, and that this is a wake-up call and that he knows he can do better. (Oh, I should add that Boy B is 20 years old; I am 22). Right now, we are still sorta together, just on shaky ground, and he is still staying at my apartment. So, I really do believe him that he is willing to change, I'm just not sure i want him either way.

I am still on the verge of breaking up with him, and if I do, it will be purely out of shallow and selfish reasons:

Shallow, because I am not physically attracted to him at all, I was merely attracted to his personality (and his unlikliness of my ex) nor does he 'do it for me.'

Selfish, because I think I just need some time to be single and to solve some of my own personal problems. I haven't been single in 4.5 years, and i'm really really aching for my independence.

It's just so difficult because he likes me a lot and he is really really really nice. I am his first girlfriend, of course he doesn't want to lose me. I'm not sure if it matters, but we've never said "i love you." We both care for each other a lot, and we both signed onto a year lease to live together in August, so I know that shows our love, but it's never been said.

Anyway, I guess I just need to vent and ask for outside opinions.

ReluctantRomeo

Full marks to you for recognising that you have been selfish here. Recognition is the first step to recovery.

Be careful about this "aching" for independence. I think it may be an illusion for you - the grass is greener and all that. Your track record suggests you line up the next one... something in you doesn't want to ever be independent.

If Boy B has no chance, you must tell him this now. Be very kind. Explain it just isn't working for you.

Don't jump straight into a relationship with Boy C. Take time to process your issues. Especially the selfishness - this is going to cause you and your men a lot of unhappiness in the future if you don't deal now. You're too young to have experienced the karma thing - I promise you that your actions *will* come back to haunt you later.