Is There Hope for the Future? Share your experience.

Upsidedownsmile8

Upsidedownsmile8

Hello, I'm happy to be on this website with you all (:

Just got out of as 3 year relationship. Started off great until I got glimpses of his past (his ex's belongings appearing around his house, his friends calling me by the ex's name, and more) so I started getting insecure. He is 10 years older than me, so he started getting insecure for no particular reason. He was MY first serious relationship, yet he had been engaged twice. I didn't know how to show the affection he demanded because of inexperience and my 22 year old self was overwhelmed with life's stress. He was in love with me, I just loved him because I was scared to fall in love.

So I said we should break up because of our different levels in life and our trust issues. We took a week-long break, came back saying we would try to make it work, but nothing changed on both of our ends.

This occurred again, and I realized that what needed to change was ME. I needed to let go of the past and give him my raw heart, how he had asked for 2 years. Well, too late. He completely gave up and said we should take a break.

I got so broken and resentful. I gave him a chance to change twice, but he didn't even care to see me try at my most vulnerable state. I planned dates, I said sweet things I'd never said before, but he was too "scared" at this point. Roles reversed I guess.

I've never loved this much and neither did he. There was no disloyalty or abuse. Just bickering and repetitive arguing.

He keeps saying we'll be back. But I feel like I hate him a little now. I want nothing to do with him because he gave up. I feel he just made an excuse to leave me. I feel the love is lost. And maybe in 3 months when he decides to return, I won't want him due to anger.

Has anyone gone back to an ex, and did it work out? For a situation like mine, would you forgive and try again at a later time? I don't know how to handle this.

OP, I am not so sure this is a relationship you should want to go back to.

Why were his ex's belongings showing up at his house? What sort of affection did he "demand"? What's up with his two broken engagements before the age of 30?

I feel we need more context about for the trust issues and other problems you mention before giving further feedback.