Anxiety/panic attacks

I have no idea what's going on, can someone explain to me why I have anxiety all the time? I've had a few panic attacks since the break up as well (early December). I was pretty happy, pretty content with my life before the break up. How do I get out of this funk? Anything I do I just think about him constantly. I just want these thoughts to go away.

• Like 1
I have no idea what's going on, can someone explain to me why I have anxiety all the time? I've had a few panic attacks since the break up as well (early December). I was pretty happy, pretty content with my life before the break up. How do I get out of this funk? Anything I do I just think about him constantly. I just want these thoughts to go away.

It's normal and you kind of have to ride them out. I have anxiety attacks and panic attacks all the time. everyone's different. For me, someone else is living my dream and it feels like I was screwed out of heaven. It's very hard to loose someone so close to you so in my experience, you have to work through the anxiety and acceptance. It wouldn't hurt to see your family Dr but your walk will not be easy.

You're not addressing your stress so your body is doing it for you.

There was a time that the things I refused to think about in during the day appeared in my dreams. Consistent nightmares, nocturnal panic attacks, y'know -the whole lot.

Don't let it get that far.

If you need to talk to someone get a therapist. You don't have to see them for any longer than you deem necessary. Otherwise tire your body out with workouts, running, and activity so you can't get all hyped up. Look up cognitive thinking techniques and practice meditation. It doesn't mean sitting on a yoga mat with a cheek full of chia seeds. It can be anywhere you can be without interruption for awhile and thinking of exactly what you can control and what you can't. Let things go that you can't, work on and become stronger and confident in the things you can.

• Like 2
Happy Lemming
How do I get out of this funk? I just want these thoughts to go away.

Tequila...

Are you old enough to legally drink alcohol??

• Like 1
Snuggle Tiger

I had extreme panic attacks, suicidal ideations, etc. myself after a December breakup. Get thee to your physician, they can prescribe non-habit forming anti-anxiety drugs like Buspar. That drug is a gift from God. Get into therapy also, it will help the most long term, but there is no shame on using your doctor to help you get over the hump. I'm on that and and the anti-depressant Wellbutrin.

The anti-depressant can take a week or so to start fixing the sadness, but Buspar started to help with the panic attacks within half an hour, a few days later they were gone.

Good luck to you, it will get better.

• Like 1
Fever of love

It's apparently a common enough thing, though few people offline seem to have any knowledge or understanding of it.

I experienced what turned out to be panic attacks and extreme anxiety in the initial stages of my breakup- went to my doctor, because I genuinely didn't know what it was, and was worried I was going to have a heart attack.

Anyway the doctor explained that it was anxiety and panic attacks, said it was much more common than people realise after traumtic events, and gave me beta-blockers and valium.

Technically, it's to do with your bodies 'flight or fight' systems: the flight or fight response is only evolved to be active for approximately 15 minute intervals, but in certain circumstances of modern life the switch gets jammed in the 'on' position. This means that your bloodstream is initially flooded with adrenaline and cortisol for an extended period of time, which already extremely bad for your well-because it puts great strain on your heart and other organs.

Worse, the longer this goes on for, your endocrine system (which produces the hormones) begins to burn adrenaline and cortisol at a faster rate than it can produce fresh molecules, and this begins to affect all the other hormones it produces and regulates: serotonin, testosterone, etc etc. So your mood will diminish, brain function will become sluggish and/or manic, sex drive plummets.

Hope this helps you understand whats going on. Main thing to bear in mind is it's very well understood by medics. There's also various schools of thought about how to manage anxious symptoms and panic attacks, via CBT and somatic awareness techniques. Controlled breathing techniques can also help stop an attack before it starts, if you become aware of the signs.

Don't worry more than you have to mate, what you're experiencing is normal, but see your doctor if it persists.

• Like 1

I’m sorry you are experiencing anxiety and panic attacks. Broken relationships are certainly hurtful and challenging. Engage in activities that interest you such as visiting with friends and family, going to a movie, out to eat, shopping or exercise. If you feel overwhelmed with these new feelings, you could mention it to your doctor. Breakups are not easy so you are not alone in this. I do wish you peace and quick healing!!

Hey,

Right after my break up I was having extreme anxiety attacks that would wake me up. I’d also have bad anxiety in the morning.

The night scares eventually subsided but I would still get general anxiety. I’ve been taking anti depressants for a week now and I haven’t had much anxiety but the depression is still there.

Although my therapist also said when you have anxiety focus on your surrounding and it eases the anxiety.

Good luck I know it’s a nightmare.

So sorry you are going through this. My ex is being a real pain right now and I had a huge panic attack because I can only move in two weeks.

Go see a doctor. You might need medication (there are some you have to take every day and some you take as needed. It depends on your situation and your doc will be able to counsel you.)

I'm sorry this is happening.

I've had panic attacks too. They are no fun.

I never really considered myself an anxious person either. That is what is weird. My first panic attack happened totally out of the blue, when I was doing something normal for me. I didn't know what it was at first - I felt completely overwhelmed by a rush of adrenaline, and a feeling of needing to flee the room. I felt like something terrible might happen, but no idea of what. It felt like an out of body experience almost...like I was suddenly very aware of MYSELF. I couldn't talk or catch my breath and broke into a horrible sweat. Awful feeling.

The sucky part was, I then began to dread going back into that same situation, because I feared it happening again.

Panic attacks co-exist with anxiety which often also co-exists with depression. Being anxious can lead to depression because of how it can disable your lifestyle.

Please go see your doctor. There are very helpful meds for both preventing and arresting panic attacks. Talk therapy/CBT can also be beneficial.