Question about a shared lease

Hey guys

My gf left me a few months back. Went back to move in with her ex husband.

We recently renewed our lease and both of our namws are on it. I have been paying the rent the last couple of months trying to find someone to sublet but have had no luck. I live in a 5 1/2 and her 2 children were living with us half the time.

Would you guys ask her to pay half the rent until the lease is up? I just worried i will become a bad guy in the eyes of the kids as i love them very much. We were together 6 years.

Thanks

I'd notify the landlord of her departure and ask for the lease to be rewritten in your name only. Right now she has tenant's rights and she no longer lives there. The landlord, right now, has no way of knowing who exactly is paying rent and who isn't or who is living there and who isn't. You're both responsible for the payment of rent. There also is the matter of the security deposit being properly allocated.

I wouldn't ask her to pay a share of the rent. If she contributed to the security deposit I'd consider that liquidated damages for her skipping on the lease.

IMO, none of this stuff is any of the kid's business. They're kids. This is adult stuff. You won't be a bad guy for being a good parent. They'll hopefully have long lives to be burdened with such matters. For now, they have two parents who love them and ensure their safety. Hence, my advice is to, whatever your decisions are, keep the adult stuff to yourself and work towards an equitable and healthy parenting arrangement.

If the current housing is too large/expensive for your budget, let the landlord know what has occurred and negotiate either a month-to-month while you look for more affordable housing, or letting you out of the lease with any vacancy/advertising/processing costs as liquidated damages against your security deposit.

I was a landlord of SFH's for many years. This is routine stuff. People's lives change. It works out. If you've been a good tenant your landlord will work with you. Your girlfriend is gone. Don't count on her. Good luck!