Does time really heal?

Hi,

(This is a follow up to my last post “He had many chances to go away why didn't he just stay gone?”)

Well, it’s been two days since we broke things off and it’s so hard. I know it’s a phase but I keep waking up in the middle of the night and feeling terrible, just so rejected. The last conversation we had was cold and short. It was like he didn’t care anymore. I wish we had left things when he was upset with me leaving and I was feeling justified. I know that’s just my ego talking. But now I just feel horrible. I’ve tried to stay busy and spend time with other people. The problem is I’m living in a new city and don’t have really any close friends. Luckily my friends from home are there for me to talk to.

I was doing ok, keeping busy, but anytime I think of things I feel so hurt and humiliated. He was being indecisive for a while but I thought he was worth waiting for. Now I’ve got a broken heart and feel kind of silly for feeling so bad after just a 3 month relationship. It was more than a casual relationship though, we live in the same apt building, work in the same place, and he even kept bringing up the future and how we could possibly work out being together (we both are posted abroad at some point for work) and have a family together. It was never me who brought up these things. So I kind of feel misled and like he was giving me totally mixed signals. “Lets plan a future together” and then “I don’t know how I feel about you”.

I know it’s for the best that we did end things after three months because I can’t imagine how awful I’d feel after a year or two. I think of myself as a fairly decent, intelligent, mature person and wonder how I got myself involved in a situation like this. I’ve just never been in this type of relationship. Anyway, I’m just afraid that now I’ll have a hard time trusting again. I put my heart into this one and feel like he never really did. I took a risk and it just didn’t turn out. I keep thinking how he’s keeping his options open for someone better? It was just such a strange situation. He told me he’d never been as close to anyone as he had to me but then at the end he told me he wished he felt more for me. I do feel I gave it my best. I feel good about that, and I didn’t want to stay where I wasn’t appreciated. It takes time to get over it, but how do I heal my bruised ego and trust someone again?

Yes, absolutely. I just posted a reply to someone about that. It feels like an eternity when you're going through it, but one day you'll find yourself feeling better and hardly even thinking about the ex. With enough time you'll get to the point where you can think rather deeply about the relationship and not feel any pain. You'll see things objectively. You'll be able to trust someone again.

Originally posted by Treasa

Yes, absolutely. I just posted a reply to someone about that. It feels like an eternity when you're going through it, but one day you'll find yourself feeling better and hardly even thinking about the ex. With enough time you'll get to the point where you can think rather deeply about the relationship and not feel any pain. You'll see things objectively. You'll be able to trust someone again.

Totally agreed. We will all be ok in time.. Be strong!

:love:

It makes a breakup doubly hard to take when the person you've been with has been exceedingly dishonest about their feelings. It seems like a betrayal. You have every right to feel that way about it, as far as I'm concerned. It's good that you've got people you can trust and talk to about this; I think it's good to talk about it. Don't feel silly about what happened, because you simply took him seriously, you took him at his word. He led you into that way of thinking and because you sincerely cared about him, you wanted to trust him.

Believe me, you will recover from this. It doesn't seem like you will, but you will.

yea, its just like a broken arm or cut on your body. it just takes time to heal, its so true. its horrible at the time and you feal like your empty and your heart is actually broken in your chest, like its been ripped out and stabbed. but when you heal everything will be fine, other people will notice and tell you. trust me you will be fine in a few months...