Do people on antidepressants handle breakups better?

airborne3502

There's always the dumper vs dumpee dynamic, but I'm wondering if people on medication for depression handle breakups better.

They already have a weapon they are using to deal with their emotions.

I would imagine they still go down the rabbit hole from time to time.

There's always the dumper vs dumpee dynamic, but I'm wondering if people on medication for depression handle breakups better.

They already have a weapon they are using to deal with their emotions.

I would imagine they still go down the rabbit hole from time to time.

I don't think that's how antidepressants work. They help you control unrealistically negative emotions, but that doesn't mean "normal" emotions are completely dulled. I was on antidepressants after my latest breakup and all they did is help me lead a normal life, but that doesn't mean I was incredibly sad. I was, but reasonably so.

Dandannydandan

If they are suffering from depression before the breakup, regardless of whether they are on anti-depressents, they generally handle breakups alot worse.

I don't think that's how antidepressants work. They help you control unrealistically negative emotions, but that doesn't mean "normal" emotions are completely dulled. I was on antidepressants after my latest breakup and all they did is help me lead a normal life, but that doesn't mean I was incredibly sad. I was, but reasonably so.

Edit: "that doesn't mean I WASN'T incredibly sad".

lionlover1973

If an individual is on antidepressants, isn't it because they are having difficulty coping?

And, in most cases, do they not already feel numb?

Kind of a paradox considering antidepressants have been known to 'numb' emotions even further. At which point, the type of antidepressant and dosage must be reevaluated.

While antidepressants can boost feel-good emotions, it also serves to help an individual navigate through difficult, painful emotions.

People with depression also often struggle with rumination.

Rumination affects one's ability to process a breakup properly.

It keeps the person 'stuck'.

This is where antidepressants can be beneficial as they help combat rumination, allowing for a more positive, healthy thought process.

Could that be considered an 'advantage'? Sure.

Can they still go down the 'rabbit hole'. Yep.

(Consider a side effect of certain antidepressants, in certain cases, can increase depression; cause suicidal thoughts and/or increase existing thoughts of suicide).

lostandconfused6

I'm on anti-depressants and it definitely didn't make things any easier. They don't work like that unfortunately. Would be nice if they did because I was really depressed right when my break up happened.

No, not the ones I take. (SSRIs)

They don't dull the sadness at all, but they do level out the overwhelming anxiety that keeps me from thinking rationally and being able to work through my depression.

During my separation, I'd stay in bed and cry all day. Once I started taking them regularly, I could finally get out of bed, dry my tears temporarily and function somewhat and get some therapy.

They are just one tool you can use along with other tools (therapy, exercise, etc) to work through the sadness. But you still have to do the work.