How do I stop getting junk mail for my ex?

This question is to US people...

I'm going on 5 months since the split but every week (or sometimes more often) I get junk mail for her. She changed the address of the desired mail but I still get junk mail for her.

I'm sick of the reminder of what was and would like to stop it. Apparently, it is a federal offense to put in a mail forward request for anyone other than yourself so I would not want to go that route. I am not in contact with my ex at all and she never responded to my 'feeler' text a month ago so reaching out to her is not an option.

What's the best way to stop getting her mail? Should I contact the senders and request that they stop sending? Put a "return to sender, recipient no longer at address" and put it back in the mailbox?

• Like 1

What's the best way to stop getting her mail? Should I contact the senders and request that they stop sending? Put a "return to sender, recipient no longer at address" and put it back in the mailbox?

I would do this and/or contact your local post office for guidance.

• Like 2

In my country we can 'refuse' mail, by writing 'refusé' on the piece of mail and throwing it back into any letterbox. I believe this is an international mechanism and the following link has details for the US

Edited by umirano
formatting

It's okay to talk to your post office about this. Just tell them she no longer lives there. If it's junk mail, they don't even need her new address. Good luck. I get my neighbor's mail and the people I bought the house from 20 years ago occasionally still as well as mail to my dead mother and father, who never lived here!! I can see how it would be upsetting. Put a little trash can out under the mail box with her name on it if all else fails. Maybe the postman will take the hint.