Saw Ex at Store, Ran like a coward

Ex and I have been broken up for three months after 1.5 year relationship. Have been no contact since then. I still have very strong feelings for him. I saw him at the grocery store today. I immediately started crying and ran away the moment I saw him. Just seeing him brought up so many emotions, I did not want him to see me crying. I do not think he saw me.

I am 32 and he is 40.

Has that happen to anyone else? When they see their ex, they just become unhinged?

Has that happen to anyone else? When they see their ex, they just become unhinged?

I had it worse. A few weeks ago, I was at a gas station sitting in my friend's car. We were a few blocks from where my Ex lives. As I'm waiting, I see this couple walking down the street with a little girl. Yeap was my Ex's kid. They walk right past me. She was too much in the moment to notice me in the car.

I tell you, it was like a knife in my heart. I felt incredibly nauseous. My friend got back in the car and was like "OMG, what's wrong? You look sick."

So not only did I see my Ex but I saw my replacement. A few days later I realized that I've not detached from my Ex as much as I had thought. To have that sort of reaction shows I'm not out of the woods yet.

It's like the Universe wanted me to see that. Man, what a blow. You are not alone in feeling the way you did.

You ran like a scalded dog, didn't you?

That's well within the bounds of normal if it really affected you. When very strong feelings are involved, there is a tendency to want to suppress them after a while, to not give them voice. Resist that, and let it all out. If it was sudden and unexpected, you may have a long, miserable slog in front of you.

One of the first movie dates my current SO and I were on was TrainWreck/Amy Schumer.

So, in walks my ex, his wife and 10 yr. old son. My bf from long ago, we've been friends forever, invited to his wedding..yada, yada.

The reason I ran and avoided contact? If you saw the movie TrainWreck, all I could think is dude, really? You bring your 10 yr. old to a movie like this?

Even I was uncomfortable in the first 5 minutes of that movie.

Trying to have you laugh. It will get better. NC is best until you only avoid each other for perfectly asinine reasons. :)

• Like 1

If you asked me a few weeks ago if I would have walked out of a place if I noticed my ex was there - I would have probably said yes because I was so torn apart by NC.

Right now, though? I'm feeling good and confident. It depends on the circumstances. I would probably be weirded out if I saw him with his partner. I'd continue walking, but I'd still make eye contact with him.

I am living my authentic life and I have nothing to feel badly about.

• Like 1