Breaking Up: The straw that broke the camel's back.

Interesting article about the reasons people break up:

10 Reasons People End Relationships

If you don't have time to read the article, the reasons they give are:

1. Bad behaviors
  2. Cheating
  3. Misdirected anger
  4. Being unsupportive
  5. Toxic people
  6. Withholding affection and attention
  7. Lying
  8. Stealing
  9. Giving up
  10. Not communicating

This made me think back to my relationships and the reason all of my relationships ended - the one thing that pushed me over the edge - is not really listed.

Disrespect.

Whether it was taking me for granted, being inconsiderate, talking to me disrespectfully or treating me disrespectfully, that seems to be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

My question is: Do you have one thing that causes you to end relationships or do your relationships end for a variety of reasons?

• Like 1

I really can't pinpoint any of my breakups to a particular thing, they all were a cluster of factors that played out over time and deteriorated the relationship beyond repair. I can't in all honesty say that the same clusters happened for each one. They don't really have a common factor except that I needed to be out of there.

• Like 1

This is weird. None of these things were problems in our relationship. We did not really have any problems. The reason for him to break up was fear of commitment. He later changed it to needing to be alone for a bit to figure his life out. We were long distance too.

• Like 1
This is weird. None of these things were problems in our relationship. We did not really have any problems. The reason for him to break up was fear of commitment. He later changed it to needing to be alone for a bit to figure his life out. We were long distance too.

That would probably fall under "giving up."

• Like 2
Last relationship I left was all of the above...

Last fling I had was 1,3,4,5,6,7,9 and 10... add 2 later but I didn't know it at the time...

Last relationship was 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9 and 10...

I really need a better picker... :laugh:

I guess its getting better as the relationship cheated on me with 4 that I knew about where as the last fling was only 1!!!

Must keep practicing until I get that one down to 0!!! :p

• Like 2
  • Author
Last fling I had was 1,3,4,5,6,7,9 and 10... add 2 later but I didn't know it at the time...

Last relationship was 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9 and 10...

I really need a better picker... :laugh:

I guess its getting better as the relationship cheated on me with 4 that I knew about where as the last fling was only 1!!!

Must keep practicing until I get that one down to 0!!! :p

:laugh:

Hang in there, Toodaloo.

We're going to find the right person one of these days. :D

Well I think everyone knows my recent one was cheating! The previous to that that I broke off was down to affection. I'm a very affectionate person, and I found it really difficult that he wasn't the same. He wasn't one for cuddling up, or holding my hand and I always took it personally. After a year I thought enough was enough. I spoke to him about it, and he just said he wasn't a touchy, affectionate person. I said that I was, he was a good guy, but I just couldn't live without the affection. So we parted ways, he said he would change, but it just wasn't in him and I would always know he was forcing it, rather than feeling it.

• Like 1
Dang! That bad, huh?

:D

Yes, and him deciding that he wouldn't work unless it was for himself, and of course this happened after we married...

• Like 2
That would probably fall under "giving up."

Oh that is so sad :(

Does it count if he says he thinks there is a chance for us to reconnect once we are in the same place again?

• Like 1

Ive been reading threads on here for years and I would say that 95 percent of dumpees admit that they weren't at their best (usually struggling with a personal issue outside of relationship) for a few months or even longer before it ended.

So yeah, sadly, the biggest reason will always be the dumper losing attraction for the dumpee as he/she struggles with an issue that causes the other to pack up shop and leave.

• Like 1
Ive been reading threads on here for years and I would say that 95 percent of dumpees admit that they weren't at their best (usually struggling with a personal issue outside of relationship) for a few months or even longer before it ended.

So yeah, sadly, the biggest reason will always be the dumper losing attraction for the dumpee as he/she struggles with an issue that causes the other to pack up shop and leave.

I'd say the vast majority of dumpees where demonstrating terribly low self esteem, confidence and were doormats. A major turn off to any partner.

:laugh:

Hang in there, Toodaloo.

We're going to find the right person one of these days. :D

I guess but to be perfectly honest I am having a whole heap of fun just by myself. I am doing more and experiencing more, enjoying myself more and learning more about myself.

Being single is really liberating. I like it. I sometimes worry that I am starting to like it a bit too much...