My EX boyfriend is demanding that I return GIFTS

Would you give your ex back gifts he bought you when he was the reason you two broke up. He cheated i dumped him so now he is demanding for everything he bought me.. Even the very phone i am using.. I dont want to give them back.. He wasted my time.. Money.. Etc what is your opinion

• Like 1

Nope.. The only gift that I think that should be returned if a relationship ends is an engagement ring.

I'd tell him to pack sand and then put him on permanent ignore...

• Like 6

Hi,

No. Gifts are given at a moment for any reason. Why gifts and not money spent on a travel plan?

The only gift that should be returned should be a compromise ring

• Like 2

Wow, what a sucky move. Of course you don't have to give anything back! But depending on what the gifts are, I wonder whether you'll be happy using/keeping them knowing how he gave them to you and wants them back. I mean, personally I probably wouldn't be wearing earrings or stuff like that. But that's totally up to you, of course - if you want to keep those things, keep it.

• Like 2

No chance.

Once its given, the giver has no claim over it.

The person it was given to can do whatever they like with it.

Take care.

• Like 4

The only things you'd have to return are things he could demonstrably make a case he owns and never transfered ownership of to you, like a tv he took to your house for you to use, etc. Actual gifts - jewelry, phone, happy meals - no.

• Like 3
Would you give your ex back gifts he bought you when he was the reason you two broke up. He cheated i dumped him so now he is demanding for everything he bought me.. Even the very phone i am using.. I dont want to give them back.. He wasted my time.. Money.. Etc what is your opinion

If that is you in the pic you are gorgeous!

I would give him his s--t back ASAP! Who cares? With your looks the next bus is only a block away.

• Like 1

The only thing legally you have to give back are loans and the engagement ring if he bought it. The ER is considered a contract and by not getting married the contract is broken. Anything else consider gifts are just that.....gifts. You can either keep or give back/throw away if you like. Gifts become your property to do whatever you like with them.

• Like 1

No. He wasn't renting you.

But I would get rid of the phone because he may be tracking you, so you need to get rid of it and that number and get your own phone. Don't ever let a man buy you a phone. Too easy to spy on you all the time and track you, which makes it so much easier for THEM to find safe ways to cheat. Mail it back to him if you want. Or just get rid of it.

• Like 2
dreamingoftigers
The only thing legally you have to give back are loans and the engagement ring if he bought it. The ER is considered a contract and by not getting married the contract is broken. Anything else consider gifts are just that.....gifts. You can either keep or give back/throw away if you like. Gifts become your property to do whatever you like with them.

The engagement ring doesn't necessarily have to be returned. Depends on the jurisdiction. Where I am the ring is considered a gift and cannot be reclaimed.

My ex husband pulled this move. I did give him back something that had been in his family as I felt it was the right thing to do. But I didn't give him back anything else. I double checked with my divorce lawyer and it had come up during the divorce and she confirmed that where I live I didn't even have to return my engagement or wedding rings.

• Like 1

Well, I'm kind hearted enough that if a guy gave me a nice engagement ring and then it was I who caused the engagement to be broken off by my actions, like I decided I didn't want to marry him through no fault of his own, then i would return the engagement ring rather than bankrupt the guy.

But if he cheated and that's why I had to break or, or he was abusive and that's why I had to break up, or if he broke up with me for no good reason, I'd keep it.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you guys for all your responses.. They have really helped me... Shipped all the gifts he bought me to my cousins.. Lol.. I am going to sell this phone , top up and get a new one . thanks guy.. Love y'all.

• Like 1