Cheated Apology, Want You Back Letter

Hi all,

I'm 29 from Nashville, Tennessee and am really stuck with what to do :(

Background of my story is I was in a relationship with a girl for around four years. She was absolutely the love of my life, we traveled, we lived together, we had fun every single minute of every single day. There was little wrong with our relationship (a few minor things but every relationship has these and we'd always work on these). We never really fought. She's 24 and I'm a little bit older. I was so happy in this relationship and so was she!

I ended up kissing a girl while I was away. Nothing more happened physically that night (or at all), it looked like it was heading for more but I just couldn't do it so I ended it there. After she had left, I foolishly decided to message the other girl though. I had no intention of doing anything with her but I felt like I could kind of have some excitement without actually 'doing' anything.

That girl, months later, messaged my girlfriend with all the details.

My girlfriend moved out straight away, she was distraught but totally torn between what to do. I wrote her a few apology letters and stuff but really tried to give her some space to think about things because she didn't reply to any of my messages during this time.

A few days later she came back and broke up with me. It seemed she was firm that she didn't want to be with someone unfaithful, and her friends could see she was hurt so ultimately she made that call. We both cried together and we both kissed and all that.

I was distraught, an emotional wreck obviously, I was just in a world of pain. I contacted her a little bit and she contacted me a little bit back but basically told me I need to stop contacting her (though not firm, as she later admitted she kind of wanted to keep talking but her friends would take her phone away). I respected this. A week or two later she initiated catch up purely to sort out what we would do with our living arrangements.

I went into this being really positive, I was really happy to see her and I just wanted to use it as a chance to gather my thoughts and apologise. We talked for about an hour and we both ended up in each others arms. Nothing was said about us catching up again but I left feeling really upbeat.

Later that night, she appeared at my work out of the blue. She just wanted to give me a few more hugs. The next few days we started messaging again, we hung out, we went bowling, skirmishing and we caught up five or six times. Yes, we did have sex and yes we did say to each other we loved each other again. I knew this didn't mean we were back but it seriously felt amazing to be together smiling again.

Then, one evening, after having an awesome morning together, she called me (after she'd been back to consult her friends and found it hard not to tell them that she was seeing me again, after promising them she wouldn't), she called me to say that she messed up and she really needed us to stop talking to each other. We'd spent around four or five days goofing around before she needed to call it again.

Since then we've only spoken very briefly and only about business related things. Eventually I was told by her friends if I needed to contact her about business stuff, to do it through them and not her.

But I noticed she would log in to certain chat apps to that only we would use. She has since blocked me on these despite there not actually being any messages sent (I presume she was driving herself insane).

Whilst I've certainly grovelled and cried and apologised in her presence (which she says she forgives me for), I've certainly not been doing this via text message. Infact I've been really upbeat (maybe a bad thing as it seems like I'm just ignoring the fact that something major went down?).

We've not spoken for around 3-4 weeks now and certainly haven't spoken properly since the day she called the second time to call it off (maybe three to four weeks now). I've respected her decision to not contact her.

The five months preceding the breakup were probably the best months of our relationship, we were really flourishing. We both agreed this (even after the break up when we discussed things at length) and lots of people said they could see how happy we were.

I've been writing a lengthy (and by lengthy I mean LENGTHY) letter which basically states how sorry I am, what I've been doing to fix myself and improve myself lately, some memories and loving thoughts I wrote down throughout our time but never actually gave to her and then tell her that she is the missing thing in my life.

One problem I also have is her friends and people in her life are very unsupportive of us getting back together...

I want to deliver it to her in a few weeks time...

My questions are:

• Is V Day a good idea or should I ignore that as it is a little too 'pushy'.
  • Should I accompany it with a big bunch of flowers, or again, too pushy and sending the wrong message?
  • Is it too much? It's really heart felt but that could be over the top?
  • Any other ideas?

I know I messed up real bad, we had no issues, I was so in love with her and she was in love with me, I've been wrecked the past month, I just want her back. I'm totally contrite and I know I need to earn back her trust which would take a mountain of time, time that I am happy to dedicate every fibre of my being to. What do you think?

• Like 2

I usually have no patience or sympathy toward a cheater but you seem to be a genuinely good guy. It sounds to me like she still loves you but is meeting her friends influence her rather than listening to her own mind and heart.

Maybe your letter will give her something to show her friends to convince THEM that you're truly sorry and trying.

I wish you the best. The outcome could truly go either way. You don't know if you don't try though.

• Like 3

Dude, you are in a tough situation. You are facing her memory of your betrayal and her HEN PARTY which will make sure she never forgets it.

You may not be able to pull up from this one. Just be sure that in wanting her back that it isn't about ego.

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Author
I usually have no patience or sympathy toward a cheater but you seem to be a genuinely good guy. It sounds to me like she still loves you but is meeting her friends influence her rather than listening to her own mind and heart.

Maybe your letter will give her something to show her friends to convince THEM that you're truly sorry and trying.

I wish you the best. The outcome could truly go either way. You don't know if you don't try though.

Thanks for the support. Yes, I think very deep beneath the surface she still has strong feelings for me, but one of my issues as mentioned is her friends are doing everything in their power to make her uphold the 'decision' she made while she was very raw.

I also understand that if she really wants me back, she will eventually come around. But I do feel like I need to actually write her a heart felt letter a bit further down the track, so she can read it a bit more objectively and without so much angst.

I guess it's hard because she has blocked me on various mediums, though I believe this is purely to try and help (force) her uphold her decision because she is 'strong' rather than because she actually does not want to hear from me.

I wish it were easier. I think she will read my letter and think to herself 'okay, maybe I should give him another go', then go about contacting her friends and they will convince her it is a bad idea.

Maybe they are right but deep in my heart I know that I am going to care for her, earn that trust back and make her feel the worth that she deserves.

• Like 1

Man, honestly, I wouldn't send it or do anything on V Day. The harder you push to get her back, the more rebound effect it'll have, especially if her friends are in her ear (you will never win that battle). She knows how sorry you are, and she also knows that you two have good chemistry. If she wants you, it'll happen. But you shouldn't wait around for it to happen. Go NC, as per her wishes. Start the process of moving on. It's the only way to save yourself right now. She has said clearly that she doesn't want to be with you, so those are the words you need to live by. It's a whole lot of a better option than grovelling to get her back, believe me. Be strong, man.

• Like 3
  • Author
Dude, you are in a tough situation. You are facing her memory of your betrayal and her HEN PARTY which will make sure she never forgets it.

You may not be able to pull up from this one. Just be sure that in wanting her back that it isn't about ego.

Good luck.

Yeh - I truly believe if she didn't have all those voices I could solve the situation by using time, forgiveness and show her the real love I feel.

They all liked me throughout our RS, even to the point where I guess we were 'that' couple who could do no wrong and I got on really well with them.

But that goes straight out the window when their friend comes to them crying about being crushed and they purely judge it as if I am a really bad human who would always do that to her, which is not the case :(

I think she feels if she contacts me, she will be letting them down and she doesn't want to do that.

• Like 2
  • Author
Man, honestly, I wouldn't send it or do anything on V Day. The harder you push to get her back, the more rebound effect it'll have, especially if her friends are in her ear (you will never win that battle). She knows how sorry you are, and she also knows that you two have good chemistry. If she wants you, it'll happen. But you shouldn't wait around for it to happen. Go NC, as per her wishes. Start the process of moving on. It's the only way to save yourself right now. She has said clearly that she doesn't want to be with you, so those are the words you need to live by. It's a whole lot of a better option than grovelling to get her back, believe me. Be strong, man.

Appreciate your thoughts and they do make sense. The only thing I will say is I just haven't really put my thoughts to her in writing. There were two or three letters saying I'm sorry, let's talk about it, but I've just been trying so hard to respect her time and space but maybe I've completely forgotten to look after myself!

I've explained things to her on the spot in extreme detail (6 hours + of discussions), but sometimes they get forgotten as they are not explicitly written (you forget things, or they get twisted once other thoughts mess with them).

I think I'd still like to give it one last effort, she was very special to me. If this doesn't work then I know for sure I need to move on and maybe one day she will come back.

• Like 1

You need to move on. You cheated on her. Her friends are doing the right thing by keeping you away. If you reconcile, it will be way on down the road.

• Like 3

If you were so happy and in such an amazing relationship, why did you cheat on her?

I ask because I can promise you that is in the back of her mind. What if it happens again? If you were able to step out on her when the relationship was apparently going well, you have a lot of soul-searching to do. Were you bored? Not as happy as you make yourself out have been? It's very important to asnwer these questions.

I have been betrayed too, and I will tell you it forever changes someone's perception of the cheating partner. That's not to say there's no possibility here, but the damage is serious.

Having said that, I would not send the letter. She knows how you feel. Leave her alone for a while and give her space to sort through her feelings without your influence. That way, if she does decide she wants to reconcile, you will know it came from her and not because you were trying to convince her.

• Like 4

You've made it plain to her that you regret what you did, that you're sorry for hurting her, and that you want to be with her.

Repeating that message would be a waste of time, because she already knows how you feel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

So, an update, I sent the letter after re-writing it a tonne of times until I was happy.

She posted it back with a message saying she read it, thanks but not to contact her again.

She's blocked me on most communication mediums - however there are some weird things:

• She hangs out with my sister (who I am quite close with)
  • She wrote a pretty detailed and emotional letter to my family saying she missed the great times
  • She still looks at stuff that I made for her
  • She's been going out of her way to give me my possessions back that really have no consequence on my life (small little trinkets and stuff which would probably be better served in the bin)

Which to me feels like she's trying to reach out and cling onto some old stuff but knows, as her friends have told her, that she needs to not actually have any direct contact with me so she has written those words. I don't think she hates me at all but yeh, obviously thinks the right thing is to move on.

Anyhow, this letter was for my closure and I now know that even though there are some weird things that give me slight hope, I need to move on as if there is no hope and maybe one day she will come back to me.

I'm extremely shattered and would do anything to get her back, but it seems that there isn't anything I can possibly do and I need to respect her.

I love her to bits and if this is what she wants, then I must suffer the consequences. I'm terribly sad but besides this letter I have been NC with her out of respect for her wishes.

My next battle is to somehow move on. I don't have a problem with her contacting me/NC or anything like that, I just battle my thoughts and miss her all the time...

I'm at that point where I struggle to see how I will ever possibly love anyone as much as her again. I know that is just an immediate thought but any help would be appreciated. :)

• Like 1

You are doing the right thing now. Just stay NC.

The pain will ease, but it will take time. Be compassionate to yourself, distract yourself as much as possible, so the ruminating thoughts don't control your life. Be patient. And, as you said so many times... respect her decision, above all.

And read this amazing post. I think it helped most of us.

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/breaking-up-reconciliation-coping/breaks-breaking-up/567241-dumped-lessons-i-learned

• Like 2
  • Author
You are doing the right thing now. Just stay NC.

The pain will ease, but it will take time. Be compassionate to yourself, distract yourself as much as possible, so the ruminating thoughts don't control your life. Be patient. And, as you said so many times... respect her decision, above all.

And read this amazing post. I think it helped most of us.

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/breaking-up-reconciliation-coping/breaks-breaking-up/567241-dumped-lessons-i-learned

Thanks heaps!

Look, it's tough, but LS has helped me... I've read every bloody thread I can find (though I can't *quite* find one that is exactly my situation, the principles still apply).

I know it is 100% my fault but I also know I have a lot to offer the world.

Also, since the original post I've been seeing a therapist to try and dissect my infidelity because, as mentioned, I need to grow up and appreciate what I have.

All part of the process of improving myself. I learnt a lesson a ****ty way but I'm sure I will look back (whether I am back with her or someone new) fondly of this experience because it will help me love unconditionally!

• Like 1

The most important thing that has happened here, IMO, is you've learned what "looking for extra fun" can do. I mean, I can see that you didn't actually "cheat" in a sense of emotional and physical aspect (except for the kiss), just looking for naughty fun. Those "simple things" just robbed you the love of your life. Trust is fickle. It takes a lot to build but just a tiny crack to collapse.

The good thing here is I am pretty sure you'll move on, just like her. And take this lesson to heart for your next relationship. Find the girl you really want to spend the rest of your life with, with or without the infatuation, where you can truly focus on her alone (Relationship-wise) and be a good example to the next generation of society. <3

• Like 2
Which to me feels like she's trying to reach out and cling onto some old stuff

Nah, sounds like you're the one clinging to false hope. She has made her opinion crystal clear. She is not interested.

I'm at that point where I struggle to see how I will ever possibly love anyone as much as her again. I know that is just an immediate thought but any help would be appreciated. :)

Dude, you're still young. Many, many people don't meet their lifetime partner until their 30's, 40's, or even later. For now just focus on yourself. Hit the gym, take up new hobbies, change your diet, live your dreams. Think of things you've always wanted to do, and do them. When I got divorced I joined a rock band, trekked to Everest Base Camp and started skiing. Just don't think about getting a new partner, focus on YOU and what YOU want to do with your life. You are young and the world is your oyster!

• Like 2

Okay dude. Time to be blunt and face reality. What I'm about to write is probably going to hurt, but you need to hear it; understand it and move on.

You screwed up and you have no one to blame but yourself. You have ALL of her friends against you. She's not going to risk losing all of her friends over a guy that cheated on her. You're never going to win that one.

Now, here comes the hard part. These friends are not allowing her to contact you. They are keeping her away. Therefore, I GUARANTEE you that it's these same friends that have set her up on dates already. Dollars to donuts she's already been out with other guys. Possibly even slept with one of them.

So, it's over dude. Time to pack up shop and move on. You need to start NO CONTACT and start to heal from this. Time to start fresh. Recognize what you did wrong. Learn from it and never let that happen again with any new relationship you enter. Sorry Dude.

• Like 5
Okay dude. Time to be blunt and face reality. What I'm about to write is probably going to hurt, but you need to hear it; understand it and move on.

You screwed up and you have no one to blame but yourself. You have ALL of her friends against you. She's not going to risk losing all of her friends over a guy that cheated on her. You're never going to win that one.

Now, here comes the hard part. These friends are not allowing her to contact you. They are keeping her away. Therefore, I GUARANTEE you that it's these same friends that have set her up on dates already. Dollars to donuts she's already been out with other guys. Possibly even slept with one of them.

So, it's over dude. Time to pack up shop and move on. You need to start NO CONTACT and start to heal from this. Time to start fresh. Recognize what you did wrong. Learn from it and never let that happen again with any new relationship you enter. Sorry Dude.

Everything he said ^^

• Like 1

OH dear.

You really did mess up didn't you.

Trust is such a fragile thing.

Don't break it again.

You have to go right back to ground zero and start again I am afraid.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks heaps. I agree now and the person who told me to hike everest (whatever my Everest is!)... Youre also right! Sucks I guess but it is what it is.

Only thing is - she messaged my mom for her birthday *after* that 'do not contact me again' letter which is kind of odd. It doesn't bother me but Ive just told mom not to tell me those things but to be polite in response.

Day 2 (after going 30 days NC before my letter)!!

You need to move on. You cheated on her. Her friends are doing the right thing by keeping you away. If you reconcile, it will be way on down the road.

Total bolony.

OP, u kissed another girl whooppy dooo. U stayed strong 4 years and u slipped, it happens. And by your description it sounds more like physical cheating, not emotional cheating (which is far worse).

Dude this is silly.

Her friends have over-reacted, posters on here have over-reacted. Yes you cheated and shouldn't have but your slip has been blown up right out of proportion.

Can't believe that girl u kissed messaged your gf, WOW !!!!

You need to be judged fairly on what u did but sadly it sounds like:

1) the girl u kissed, over-reacted.

2) your gf over-reacted like u killed her family.

3) your gf's friend's are over-reacting (not dealing with the facts).

Dude, you messed up Yes and this situation is tough Yes... time to man-up and find a way to talk to your Ex and in a rationale way explain what the hell went down.

And before all the bitter posters come on and abuse me for my comments. Might I remind you all, I'm on this site because my Ex cheated on me and left for that same guy (and then karma got her, coz he dumped her haha).

All of your Ex's actions point to the fact she still cares. Her defense is to act "cold" and allow her friends to gang up on you (because they know she is still into you). She's playing the prideful card as that's her best move to gain the power back. But trust me, its an act. Sure one day, she will convince herself enough to believe it.... but no way is she there yet.

You made a mistake, u realized you made a mistake ...then she dumps you like you burned a kindergarten down (all because some psycho chick messages her out of the blue). LOL, what a joke.

Dude .... Man-up , ignore her friends, ignore the girl u kissed and focus on finding a way to talk to your Ex.

You may need to go a period of NC so she kools off and her friends get bored of mothering her.

Good luck...

P.S. Not saying she should take you back but if she is going to play judge and jury, she needs to deal with the facts. And if she doesn't want to do that, then she isn't worth your time.

Maybe she wasn't the ONE if she gonna let some psycho woman tell porkies about the stuff you guys did and she believes that version over what you have to say. Clearly that new girl was jealous and upset... why the heck would your Ex believe one word she says.

Edited by marky00
  • Author
Total bolony.

OP, u kissed another girl whooppy dooo. U stayed strong 4 years and u slipped, it happens. And by your description it sounds more like physical cheating, not emotional cheating (which is far worse).

Dude this is silly.

Her friends have over-reacted, posters on here have over-reacted. Yes you cheated and shouldn't have but your slip has been blown up right out of proportion.

Can't believe that girl u kissed messaged your gf, WOW !!!!

You need to be judged fairly on what u did but sadly it sounds like:

1) the girl u kissed, over-reacted.

2) your gf over-reacted like u killed her family.

3) your gf's friend's are over-reacting (not dealing with the facts).

Dude, you messed up Yes and this situation is tough Yes... time to man-up and find a way to talk to your Ex and in a rationale way explain what the hell went down.

And before all the bitter posters come on and abuse me for my comments. Might I remind you all, I'm on this site because my Ex cheated on me and left for that same guy (and then karma got her, coz he dumped her haha).

All of your Ex's actions point to the fact she still cares. Her defense is to act "cold" and allow her friends to gang up on you (because they know she is still into you). She's playing the prideful card as that's her best move to gain the power back. But trust me, its an act. Sure one day, she will convince herself enough to believe it.... but no way is she there yet.

You made a mistake, u realized you made a mistake ...then she dumps you like you burned a kindergarten down (all because some psycho chick messages her out of the blue). LOL, what a joke.

Dude .... Man-up , ignore her friends, ignore the girl u kissed and focus on finding a way to talk to your Ex.

You may need to go a period of NC so she kools off and her friends get bored of mothering her.

Good luck...

P.S. Not saying she should take you back but if she is going to play judge and jury, she needs to deal with the facts. And if she doesn't want to do that, then she isn't worth your time.

Maybe she wasn't the ONE if she gonna let some psycho woman tell porkies about the stuff you guys did and she believes that version over what you have to say. Clearly that new girl was jealous and upset... why the heck would your Ex believe one word she says.

Thanks man. I wish it were that simple but whether you agree or not, the one commonality everyone agrees on is it will require time. Unsure how long that might be but I can't wait around for that day.

• Author

Another weird thing (for me) is two days after telling me to not contact her again - she messaged my mum on her bday being super nice etc. Why the hell would she do that.

Anyway I'm not sure if I should tell her to buzz off or just leave it be.

Postman Pat,

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that can forgive cheating, and those that can't. Your real task is to figure out which kind you're dealing with.

On the scale of cheating where

• 0 = no cheating and
  • 1 = thinking about some girl(s) and
  • 10 = regularly banging strange

I'd put your transgression at about a 2, which in the world of cheating, is very mild. It barely counts.

The only distinction that some non-forgivers can make is physical vs. mental. Some people even believe in something called "emotional cheating", as if you can control who you're attracted to. But wherever she draws the line, for her, it's all about trust, or the lack thereof. Cheaters will always be cheaters and all that stuff. If you're dealing with one of these, you might as well have been doing all the things that earn you a 10, because the no-tolerance policy does not allow for shades of gray. You're just as guilty as if you'd banged a bunch of girls over time. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

The forgiving type, however, can make such a distinction. You can have a rational discussion about your motives and your where you drew the line and why. The good news is that you can work your way back in. The bad news is that this kind of woman might also be counted on to do the same to you, given the right set of circumstances.

I don't think you messed up all that bad. You could have done a lot worse. It sounds like maybe you just messed up with the wrong type of girl.

You need to forget about this contact with your mother. It means nothing with respect to you. I think you need to dispense with all the uber-remorse too. You did what you did, you could have done a lot worse and most importantly, throwing ashes on your head, gnashing your teeth and tearing your clothes doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere. So stop doing that.

I think you need to forget the letter and get a personal appearance to plead your case. The sooner, the better. She sounds like she could be persuaded, but for her pals, so you need to address that part of it too, explaining to her that you can live with her deciding, but you think it's a mistake for her to allow her friends to decide for her. And I also think you need to come clean about what made you do it. You can't say "I don't know" and you can't come up with some bull****. You have to go back, examine your heart and mind, and articulate why you thought it was a good idea to kiss one girl and flirt with another while involved in a 4 year relationship.

In the end, if she can't live with your mistake, then **** it, she's gone.

Postman Pat,

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that can forgive cheating, and those that can't. Your real task is to figure out which kind you're dealing with.

On the scale of cheating where

• 0 = no cheating and
  • 1 = thinking about some girl(s) and
  • 10 = regularly banging strange

I'd put your transgression at about a 2, which in the world of cheating, is very mild. It barely counts.

The only distinction that some non-forgivers can make is physical vs. mental. Some people even believe in something called "emotional cheating", as if you can control who you're attracted to. But wherever she draws the line, for her, it's all about trust, or the lack thereof. Cheaters will always be cheaters and all that stuff. If you're dealing with one of these, you might as well have been doing all the things that earn you a 10, because the no-tolerance policy does not allow for shades of gray. You're just as guilty as if you'd banged a bunch of girls over time. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

The forgiving type, however, can make such a distinction. You can have a rational discussion about your motives and your where you drew the line and why. The good news is that you can work your way back in. The bad news is that this kind of woman might also be counted on to do the same to you, given the right set of circumstances.

I don't think you messed up all that bad. You could have done a lot worse. It sounds like maybe you just messed up with the wrong type of girl.

You need to forget about this contact with your mother. It means nothing with respect to you. I think you need to dispense with all the uber-remorse too. You did what you did, you could have done a lot worse and most importantly, throwing ashes on your head, gnashing your teeth and tearing your clothes doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere. So stop doing that.

I think you need to forget the letter and get a personal appearance to plead your case. The sooner, the better. She sounds like she could be persuaded, but for her pals, so you need to address that part of it too, explaining to her that you can live with her deciding, but you think it's a mistake for her to allow her friends to decide for her. And I also think you need to come clean about what made you do it. You can't say "I don't know" and you can't come up with some bull****. You have to go back, examine your heart and mind, and articulate why you thought it was a good idea to kiss one girl and flirt with another while involved in a 4 year relationship.

In the end, if she can't live with your mistake, then **** it, she's gone.

See, even MightyCPA agrees with me and thats saying something.

Check part in bold but, thats the only part I have a different slant.

Yes its true, some people deem physical cheating as being worse than other types (i.e. emotional cheating). I guess its because its something concrete and definable.

But for me personally, I'd say it hurts way more when someone is emotionally cheating on you (i.e. loves someone else but stay for money or guilt etc). You don't get over that sort of stuff.

Sex and emotional connection are 2 complete different things.

• Like 1