Exes - where are they (and you) now?

Been lurking for a bit and I can't thank you all for your posts. They've helped me get through the last two months of NC, and I have zero plans to reach out. Ever.

My ex-boyfriend is 27 (same age as me), we were together a little over a year, it was passionate and meaningful, but he broke up with me 11 weeks ago because he isn't in love with me despite talking about our future kids and moving in together. We fought a lot because he is a textbook man-child. We haven't talked since a week after the breakup. At this point, I'm still incredibly saddened by the whole ordeal and sometimes still believe I love him, but I find that hearing other people's stories and perspectives really help. Example: "My ex is now unhappy, divorced, and regrets breaking up with me, and now I'm married to the love of my life."

So please tell me, for those of you who have been broken up with your exes for 1 year or more - where are your exes? Where are you? Are you better off? Is he/she? I'd like to reach a point where I don't wish him any misfortune, but I just really can't imagine him having a functional relationship after stringing me along for so long (which is the result of the fact that he just needs to grow up) and it gives me some closure that it really was out of my hands despite giving it my all.

I should be able to answer my own question. I myself have an ex, also a man child, from 2 years ago who is now 32 and still making the same old mistakes. He is a serial monogamist who just can't commit but strings girls along for the long haul. I completely forgot about him when I found my most recent ex and was madly in love with him. The problem now is that he is the first and only person I've ever loved, and I'm waiting for it to stop.

Thus, this is the first real heartbreak I've experienced and I just want to move on. I miss him but want to forget him. I know things couldn't work out now, but some part of me is still convinced he will come back later and that we really were a good match. Is this normal? I know people don't change, but there is still some hope he will grow up, which is why I would love to squash it and hear about where you both were later in life.

-S

PS Thanks for being there when he chose not to be. Stay strong everyone! xoxo

Will be sticking around to read the responses...

I've been broken up and NC with my boyfriend of 5 years. We're both young, 20, but I really thought I would get lucky and marry my high school sweetheart. He ended things around a month ago saying he wasn't happy and he "didn't love me anymore" despite having discussed a plan for an engagement in the near future with me the previous week.

I'm on a different level of maturity than him. I did his school work, laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc. while he was more into flirting with other girls when he got blackout drunk, partying, and playing video games. He had so much potential for me and I'm having problems focusing on the good times instead of the bad.

I've had nearly everyone tell me that there's nothing wrong with me because I'm beautiful, intelligent, and committed and that he will never do better than me because of how well I treated him despite all the things he did for me. But I still love him, it doesn't really help you know?

I literally feel like we fell in love with the right person at the wrong time. Heartbreaking.

So I too want to hear where others and their exes are.

I too dated a man child. He never much progressed in emotional maturity. He is still pretty much 13 emotionally.

We have been broken up almost a year but I will give you what I know. I've been in strict NC since right after the breakup so what I know is from mutual friends and the odd photo I have seen from social media.

He moved states for his job for promotion but his career is kind of a dead end. He knows no one where he moved and he is incredibly lonely. He has been home 1 time since the breakup. He met up with a bunch of our former friends who are all back stabbing wenches.

He showed up at the coffee shop next to where I work with another girl where he had a very good opportunity of running into me.

As far as I know he hasn't been in any kind of serious dating/relationship situation. He has too much emotional baggage that he needs to deal with to be happy.

And he won't admit that his job is going nowhere so he will stick it out until he has to quit to move back home because his family is here.

I am doing fabulous. Pretty sure our mutual friends mention all of the vacations I have taken and all the fun I have been having without him. It feels awesome to know that I ended out on top.

• Like 1

The ex, 7 year relationship, that brought me here what seems like forever ago, maybe last October, is doing well. She is still with the guy she essentially left me for and I believe they're moving in together soon. She in no way bothers me at all, just like a fond memory. I never really wished bad upon her, we just didn't work out.

As for me, I recently split from newest girlfriend, only a 4 month relationship, but we cared deeply for each other. She is finishing school and we did a small LDR so it made things tougher. I'm doing okay, I know that I will find someone again. I don't wish bad upon her, and at this point I don't even care to follow the no contact rules. She just has her future and dreams as a priority and I can understand that. Hell, I told her to find me when she's done, I'd give it another try.

I'd say what really gets me the most is I don't have trouble finding a woman that know could be long term, it's just usually the timing is all wrong. Life is strange.

• Like 1

My stories are too long but one of my ex's who I was with for 7 yrs I still think off and respect her very much secretly. I lost the love for her and after few yrs it just ended. We haven't talked since winter 2013 when we broke up but I care for her though im full NC.

My recent ex and the one before the recent one which I think could be pregnant (saw a pic on fb thru mutual friends) I really couldn't care less. Nicely put, if they were hanging of a cliff, and I had a pocket full of f###s and they asked me to give one, I would respond with "I don't give a f##k".

All the pain and bs mind games I had to deal with now that im fully moved on I see this clearer and see thru their true colors. I truly feel like if I ran into them I would have absolutely no problem telling them to f off and smile at the same time. Some people may want to make piece or pat their exs on the back after moving on but I'd say it really depends. If your ex was a lier and a cheater, abusive boarderline psycho going hot & cold ....yeaah I think I'd rather tell em to screw off if they try to talk to me.

I don't care where my ex is.... he was the worst thing that ever happened to me and i fear saying it because he's such a sociopath it's probably a compliment. I am alive today thanks to his ass leaving me in a cold clean cut bloody manner. Things happen for a reason.. be grateful. DON'T LOOK BACK

My first long term ex I know has been with a girl for a few years now. I don't think about him much, and there are no feelings left. He did regret leaving me for a long time afterwards. He recently tried to add me on social media.

My recent ex we don't keep in touch. The last time we spoke was around 2 months ago when he also tried to add me on social media. The break up was awful and he really hurt me during and at the end of our relationship. I do think about him and if I'm to think about things long enough, I can hurt over it. But for the most part I'm doing really good. Since we broke up I landed the career I've been trying to get for years! My fitness is at the best it's ever been and I feel I've become myself again.

anonymousbear00101100

I'm in a bit of similar boat. My ex and I recently split up because the distance got to be a bit too much and we just started arguing all the time.

I feel bad for her sometimes, because she has always been really dependent on others (for the past two years it was me) to find her self worth. I often found her childish and immature, not necessarily in terms of her emotional state, but in the sense that she just couldn't make decisions or figure things out on her own. I'm the exact opposite, and often ended up having to do everything for her from google searches on how tall the Eiffel Tower is, to what should be her major in college. This immaturity has been pretty highlighted after she's started college, and it's been a rough couple of months for her.

Obviously, I'm far from perfect and have some destructive qualities to me. Since we've been broken up, I really have tried to start making changes and work on myself, loving myself, being more confident, etc. I originally started down the path of trying to get as many numbers as possible, surrounding myself with other women to validate myself, before realizing it was only making me sadder.

We met up recently (I know breaking NC is bad, don't do it, many regrets) and she said she was trying to make changes as well, but turns out she has been talking to three or four guys. One of them, in fact, she's been hanging out with pretty much every night, and they've been talking about dating. It's been three weeks since our two year relationship ended! I feel a bit of jealousy that she's hanging out with other guys, and you know maybe she really just moves on fast, but considering she told me at this meeting that she hates herself and who she is, I just kind of feel bad that she isn't making an effort to be alone and go through a healing process. Of course who am I to tell her what she needs.

Again, we've not been broken up very long at all so my words hold little weight. In my little experience, I do find it quite normal to almost feel bad for your ex when they are immature. It's also kind of nice to think that they'll one day grow up and realize how great you were to and for them, and that leaving you was the biggest mistake of their life. It's been really hard for me to not think about her trying to get over our relationship with a rebound because I know its the wrong thing for her to do and it hurts me a little bit, but just focusing on myself and where I want to see myself in the future is definitely the best course of action.

First real love was in highschool, from 17-18. He unfortunately died in an accident not long after we broke up.

Second: together 5 years (lived together for 3) I ended it because I wasn't really in love anymore. He is now married and has a daughter.

Third: together 7.5 years. (lived together for 6.5) We grew apart and I found out after we broke up that he'd been having an affair with a co-worker. They are now married and have a baby.

Most recent ex: together about 1 year. He suffers from BPD and the relationship simply became unbearable for me. He has dated a few since me and has come back around a couple times. We never resumed a relationship.

Me now: After serious ex #3, I picked up and moved abroad (from Canada.) I now live in Rome and have for almost 3 years. Best decision I've ever made and I have no intentions of moving home. (Most recent ex I met after I moved here) My life changed dramatically and I am very fulfilled where I'm at now. I can honestly say I don't miss any of my exes, only wish the endings had been handled better. I am now 34, dating a wonderful man also from Rome and we've been together almost a year.

Moral of my story - we can create our own happiness through the choice we make. We learn from every relationship and love is always a work in progress. Learning to go with the flow and be happy on my own has brought me to a much more stable and healthy place!

EDIT: I am not in contact with any of my exes. Not on social media, not in messages, nothing. Helps that I live on a different continent from my most significant exes!

Edited by ExpatInItaly
  • Like 2
First real love was in highschool, from 17-18. He unfortunately died in an accident not long after we broke up.

Second: together 5 years (lived together for 3) I ended it because I wasn't really in love anymore. He is now married and has a daughter.

Third: together 7.5 years. (lived together for 6.5) We grew apart and I found out after we broke up that he'd been having an affair with a co-worker. They are now married and have a baby.

Most recent ex: together about 1 year. He suffers from BPD and the relationship simply became unbearable for me. He has dated a few since me and has come back around a couple times. We never resumed a relationship.

Me now: After serious ex #3, I picked up and moved abroad (from Canada.) I now live in Rome and have for almost 3 years. Best decision I've ever made and I have no intentions of moving home. (Most recent ex I met after I moved here) My life changed dramatically and I am very fulfilled where I'm at now. I can honestly say I don't miss any of my exes, only wish the endings had been handled better. I am now 34, dating a wonderful man also from Rome and we've been together almost a year.

Moral of my story - we can create our own happiness through the choice we make. We learn from every relationship and love is always a work in progress. Learning to go with the flow and be happy on my own has brought me to a much more stable and healthy place!

EDIT: I am not in contact with any of my exes. Not on social media, not in messages, nothing. Helps that I live on a different continent from my most significant exes!

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your first ex. It sounds like you're living a pretty good life right now. Can I ask what happened with ex 2 and 3? Why did you fall out of love and grow apart?

Ps Rome is one of my favourite cities :)

So please tell me, for those of you who have been broken up with your exes for 1 year or more - where are your exes? Where are you?

Where am I?

About to move in with my new partner. In a rock band. Been to Everest Base Camp and on the committee for my local hiking group. Doing amateur dramatics, in a Christmas play next week. Taken up skiing and been every year. Grown a beard, got a new wardrobe, much higher confidence levels.

Where is she?

Don't know, don't care.

• Like 2

Let's see...ex broke up with me over a decade ago...I wasn't over the previous ex, so it hindered my ability to move forward...in hindsight, I had low self-esteem and depression issues, which made me "hot and cold" emotionally. I guess she couldn't take it any longer, so she split, and it was, in all honesty, the right move for her. I could be such an ******* at times. Our falling out was bad, with things said that should never be uttered, particularly on my part.

A natural disaster happened, and she never told me she was okay when I emailed her (I wasn't going to call her...HELL NO), even months afterwards. She tried communicating with me through email about 6 years later, but I wasn't having it. Why bother 6-7 years later? We ended up communicating by accident on a social messaging app . I was chatting to a friend and joking around, and I popped out the convo box that was still there a few years earlier from the old convo with the ex by accident, and ended up "lol'ing" the ex...OOPS. She told me to leave her alone---ironic, since for six to damn near seven years I had done that, until she popped up and tried conversing with me (2011 or 2012?). I explained what happened (pretty embarrassed), but on the way out, I told her I loved her (silly me). She asked why I acted so hateful when she tried talking to me, and so I knew that I had to end the conversation. I bull****ted her, and told her I was going to the store and would chat to her later. I went to the store, but didn't chat to her when I got home...:/ I felt so awkward and embarrassed abut the entire situation afterwards. What is there to say after 9-10 years? It was hard enough getting through all of those years without her in my life, so why peel the layers away further?

I guess the moral of the story is never enter another relationship if you still have negative residue from a former relationship. It's not fair to the next person, nor you.

FWIW, I have met a number of women over the years, but I've never allowed myself to enter a relationship again. I just see myself living as an old bachelor (I'm 38). I don't see it as "winning" or "losing". It's not a contest to see who finds the love of their life first (if ever), it's just life experiences. The biggest test is how do you respond to life's challenges, which will ultimately define who you are. I've been depressed over her through the years, and I have cried about what might've been. Then I grow a spine and try to remind myself that I have hindered my life by not allowing myself to love again. But I guess if it's meant for me to meet someone else, it'll happen, and if not, love just wasn't meant to be a part of my life story. Maybe I'm just fooling myself, and she won.

Edited by JollyDays
Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your first ex. It sounds like you're living a pretty good life right now. Can I ask what happened with ex 2 and 3? Why did you fall out of love and grow apart?

Ps Rome is one of my favourite cities :)

I really can't put it into words exactly, but I'll try!

Ex #2, we were young. Together from 18-23. We wanted different things and I honestly wanted to date around more. He was ready to get married and I wasn't. He was a great guy but I just lost that spark for him and felt attracted to other men so I knew it was time to let go.

Ex. #3, we changed a lot in our twenties. (together from 24-31, more or less) He devoted a lot of time to work and I spent a lot of time without him as the years passed. Became more like roommates and I honestly felt neglected. Thus my feelings changed as did his. I saw him as more of a friend than a romantic partner. I didn't find out he'd been unfaithful until a while after we broke up.

Ex #2, we were young. Together from 18-23. We wanted different things and I honestly wanted to date around more. He was ready to get married and I wasn't. He was a great guy but I just lost that spark for him and felt attracted to other men so I knew it was time to let go.

Ex. #3, we changed a lot in our twenties. (together from 24-31, more or less) He devoted a lot of time to work and I spent a lot of time without him as the years passed. Became more like roommates and I honestly felt neglected. Thus my feelings changed as did his. I saw him as more of a friend than a romantic partner. I didn't find out he'd been unfaithful until a while after we broke up.

Makes total sense :) but good to see you're happy now!

Actually today is her bday. We haven't spoken since last Feb. TBH I have no idea where is or what she is doing. I know she was dating someone else but have no idea beyond that. At some point this past summer I started to embrace being single. My only priority in my life is my daughter. Now I just go with the flow of life and I'm not really interested in having a relationship. I enjoy the fact of having no relationship obligations at this time and during my free time do what I want.

My first ex (well I can't really call him an ex as we were never in a relationship) we dated for awhile until I brought up what he saw in us and where things were headed? He told me he only ever saw me as a friend and nothing more and that he never could see me as more. While those words stung me, I appreciated his honesty. He's now married to the woman he met after me.

My second ex, we were together for 2 years until he vanished on me. Found out he was seeing another girl towards the end of our relationship. He got her pregnant and they are now married.

Third ex we were together for a year until he moved away. I have no idea what's going on with his life now as we have lost touch long ago.

I forgot to mention the long distance ex who should have been mentioned as ex number 2. He disappeared on me as well and lied to me. Found out he was dating another woman in his town. He's now married to a completely different woman about 15 years older than him.

The most recent ex vanished on me as well and told me he needed space. Found out he was seeing another woman. It's been about 7 months now and he's still with her happy as ever. It's tough with the holidays approaching as he will be spending them with her. I still miss him. I kept a journal of our time together. I wrote about every single date, our first kiss, how we'd spend hours together talking and laughing, falling asleep in each other's arms. The entries stopped when he left me. For some reason I can't write about the ending and him leaving me. I guess for me it would feel like it's really over, final, done even though I know deep down it is. Or maybe I foolishly hold out hope that he will magically return to me. Whatever the case may be, I cannot write about him leaving me. I also cannot look at and read those journal entries because they were of happier times that are no more and it would just break my heart to read them.

I've had other guys I've dated in between, but these were just the most significant to me.

The X: I have no idea. Presumably still with the woman he left me for. Always looks pissed and stressed at work.

Me: Single. Learning a 5th language, finishing a masters degree, travelling and having the time of my life. Enjoying a drama-free life, and feeling more emotionally healthy than I could ever have been had we stayed together.

1st guy, was 16 years old, he was 19, lasted 6 weeks, he left me for someone else - no contact for many years, don't care, he is apparently now married with kids.

2nd guy, was 21 years old, he was 21, lasted 3.5 years, he left me for someone else - came back after 4 months for breadcrumbs, then again after 18 months when he split up with the other girl and apologised, now is married with two kids and still contacts me every so often talking about the 'good old days'.Last time he contacted me was 5 weeks ago randomly. Don't care anymore either but he was always regretful for his actions.

3rd guy, I was 25 and he was 28, together 9 months, then he took another girl on holiday without telling me. Got together with yet another girl and was married within 18 months now has two kids. Had to keep in contact for 2 years as I worked with him. Again, I don't care.

4th guy, I was 27, he was 26, together 7 years and split 3 months ago so quite devastated still. No idea if another girl was involved (yet) but he was acting like the 2nd guy after during break up who swore there was noone else...if there is I think I give up! Having said that, there were issues I think could be sorted but he didn't want to....Now in no contact. Not sure if he will regret it as he seemed unsure if he wanted to break up. Was 'confused' that old classic...

Right now, I'm okay but still confused about the last one. Trying not to have false hope and figuring out what to do with my life as living abroad at the moment.

Edited by kiki2015

Interesting... I've had very similar experiences with the timeframes and ages in being in relationships like you. Just out of curiosity, but do you also look back at your longest relationships and never think about them? I had two long term relationships in my twenties, but I never have had any thoughts of regret because I knew once it was over it was over. However, the one relationship prior to my most recent one, was only for a year, and that is the one I still have some regret over dumping her and would wish for a 2nd chance. Unlike the other two, I feel like I pulled the plug too early, and there was potential.

Oh no, with #3, this is like my last relationship, except I was the workaholic and he said he felt more like a roommate (I wasn't unfaithful though). He didn't say it until we broke up and I didn't see it coming as he is introverted. Would do anything to try and make it up but it seems it is too late. :(

I have a success story, but also going through it all over again.

My most serious ex, we were together 9 years, I was 2 weeks away from purchasing a ring for her. We lived together for 7 years. I found out she cheated on me in 2010 (multiple guys, including my best friend), we stayed together until she left around this time in 2012. We went NC, then tried again a few months later, but in the end it wasn't worth it, so we then we NC for almost 2 years. After a while the feelings of anger and sadness disappeared, and because of her leaving I was able to take a chance and start my own business (something I never would have been able to do staying with her, as I was worried about making sure we were financially good). So on the 2 year anniversary of my business I did something I never thought I would do....I broke the NC and contacted her and forgave her for everything that she had done to me. She apologized, we had a nice conversation and we still talk here and there now. She's currently engaged to be married and I can actually say I'm happy for her for the most part.

Now I'm currently going through another break up with a girl I thought was really going to be something special. (My story here http://www.loveshack.org/forums/breaking-up-reconciliation-coping/breaks-breaking-up/558290-moving)

Through the tumultuous year that we were together, it was my old ex that helped kind of guide me and was able to give me support. It was strange that we were supporting each other with our new relationships, but I guess there is hope for everyone out there going through this including myself. As I sit here filled with anxiety and depression at lost love, I wish my brain would just so easily look back at where I was 2-3 years ago, losing a girl I thought I was going to marry, and say "Hey, you're gonna be just fine over time". I'm thankful to have some very wise and caring people in my life and a couple of the best phrases I've heard outside of the usual cliches that everyone hates is. "Heartbreak is one thing that won't kill you". And "It's a good thing we live on a planet with 7 billion other people on it". That kind of helped put things into perspective.

Hope this helps someone through their process too. There is hope and light at the end of the dark tunnel, and having a place like this to go to hear other people's stories that are all almost exactly the same......should give everyone some hope. Take care everyone.

Most recent:

She's 28 now, dating the guy she left me for after 8 years. She moved back in with her mom (she's never lived anywhere but with a parent her whole life). Never went to school like she wanted. Over her head in debt. Kept trying to stay in my life after the breakup. Hard NC'd her and she blew up.

She's not where she wants to be in life and is upset about that. I wished her well but whatever problems she had during me, are still there, because she thought dumping me would fix them. They didn't.

I bootstrapped myself after she took my life and played jenga with it. Currently working two jobs, taking over 30 days of vacation a year, traveling, got myself a new(-ish) car and my own place. Working on getting as fit as I can get and hoping to own a motorcycle again pretty soon.

She left damage on me, and I found myself entwined by a girl shortly after the breakup. Ended up moving in together in the strangest mishmash of being in a relationship/friendzone I've ever heard of. Seriously, if my friend told me about this I wouldn't believe him. Anyways, she's moving out come the first of the year and a buddy of mine is moving in and we're gonna set up a gym inside and start saving for bikes so we can go riding soon as summer rolls around.

My ex of five years dumped me almost 3 months ago. We dated since high school I'm 24 he is 22. He fell on hard times and I stuck by him through it all when he gave me every reason to leave including cheating on me. I saw him grow as a person into someone with better with more confidence and better opportunities. I on the other hand has seemed to always have everything together until this year when I have was having family, job, and money problems. Instead of returning the support I gave him, he instead added more stress on top of me. I mentioned to him that I would like his support and he left me. He apparently was unhappy and felt like I wasn't making the effort to make him happy. I guess he outgrew me. Go figure.

Right now I have a new job which I love. The pay is also great. My family problems haven't quite sorted themselves out however. I have more friends and I have been going out more but since it's only been three months I still feel bitter, angry, used, and hurt by my ex. I have been no contact since the week after the breakup and he blocked me on everything and acts as if I betrayed him.

Him however last I heard he immediately started looking for someone else and hasn't had much luck in the dating category until recently. I believe he is dating someone else. Kinda sucks how quickly me and five years of memories can disappear from someone's mind even when I did nothing to provoke the breakup.

Interesting... I've had very similar experiences with the timeframes and ages in being in relationships like you. Just out of curiosity, but do you also look back at your longest relationships and never think about them? I had two long term relationships in my twenties, but I never have had any thoughts of regret because I knew once it was over it was over. However, the one relationship prior to my most recent one, was only for a year, and that is the one I still have some regret over dumping her and would wish for a 2nd chance. Unlike the other two, I feel like I pulled the plug too early, and there was potential.

What do you mean?

I of course think of them on occasion; we're all reminded of our pasts in some ways and at random moments. But I have no regrets that the relationships ended. I knew even at the time of the break-ups it was the right choice. I have fond memories of my exes, but I don't wish I could go back to them and I don't have romantic yearnings for them.

DontBreakEven

Well let's see:

Ex #1 - He broke off our engagement. Many years after the fact he still claims he will never meet a girl like me. He has had a rough time dating.

Ex #2 - She did me all sorts of wrong, we stopped speaking for a year, but we are best friends now. She is married, and I attended her wedding. 5 years ago I wouldn't have fathomed that.

Ex #3 - She is still with the woman she cheated on me with and they are engaged. It's been over 4 years. I don't know if she is happy or not. She texts once every 6 months and I ignore it.

Ex #4 - She broke off our engagement 2 years ago, met someone online 6 months later, and they are now engaged. We haven't spoken in 2 years.

Sooooo ... I'm unsure what to make of those results. lol