! We are breaking up and we live together...

How do people do this? I am dying. We were roommates and friends and then we dated and lived together for 5 years. I wanted to get married. He wasn't there yet. He was controlling. I couldn't deal with it. He couldn't tone it down and loosen up. We tried, and we failed. After 5 years we amicably decided that we couldn't be together anymore.

I still love him but he is wrong for me and I am wrong for him. It is the most awful experience of my life. In the long term, staying together is a mistake. But in the short term, breaking up is god awful. Not only do I have to break up with my boyfriend, but I have to find a new place to live in in NYC. It is DREADFUL. I've lost 10 lbs in the last week. I still have to go to work and function normally. I cry when he's not around or anyone from work won't notice. How do people do this? How do I make it less awful? Any advice or stories of encouragement are appreciated.

I did this as well. About six weeks before I finally moved out. Seriously painful and difficult. Bills, separating all our shyte and what not.

BUT... as soon as I got out, the healing could finally begin.

• Like 1

Oh dear, this is really tough, I feel for you, sorry OP.

Not much more you can do apart from trying to move on as hard as that is. 5 years is a long time

Strength in Healing

Don't run from the pain of the situation. Do your best to accept it. It's painful. I know it is. I empathize with you very much.

What you did was mature. This is what builds strength. Stay strong and don't run from the pain in your mind. You'll come out on top.