Don't even think of it as NC

Hey guys and gals,

I was thinking of something last night as I was heading to bed. At this point in my breakup, exactly a month out, the ex and I are clearly done contacting each other. There have been no hints of reconciliation, no emotional outpouring, etc. And while I guess it's still a bit weird not talking to her, I have come to realize that I don't even consider this to be no contact - NC implies that I would WANT to talk to her, and that I am actively restraining myself from doing so.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't even consider this new life of mine to involve NC. Sure, I don't reach out to her, but that's because I do not want to. I am no more in NC with her than I am my high school GF. My life has changed, and things have happened (getting a second job, purchasing an electric guitar) that would not have happened had I still been with her.

So, I encourage you to mentally shift this idea of NC from something you are not doing (reaching out, texting, etc.), to reclaiming your life... a new life that your ex is not in anymore. So may people come and go from our lives during the course of 70+ years; this is just another one of them. And sadly, you are just another one of theirs. But once you accept this change, fully, while ALSO feeling the pain when it comes - and it will come, many times a day - you will not view your actions as NOT doing something, and rather an embrace of the new, exciting direction in which you find yourself.

Hope this makes sense. I want you to feel empowered, not victimized. Today is the first day of your new life. Enjoy! You are free!

OD

• Like 11
  • Author
Congrats!! You've reached indifference!!!
Lol, I don't know about that. Just a minor epiphany and a re-framing of perspective, perhaps. Thanks, mtn.

I gotta stick with NC forever. I'm still having to restrain myself from mailing my Ex a box containing a ziplock bag filled with dogs*** sprinkled with gold glitter. lol :lmao:

• Like 6
Hey guys and gals,

I was thinking of something last night as I was heading to bed. At this point in my breakup, exactly a month out, the ex and I are clearly done contacting each other. There have been no hints of reconciliation, no emotional outpouring, etc. And while I guess it's still a bit weird not talking to her, I have come to realize that I don't even consider this to be no contact - NC implies that I would WANT to talk to her, and that I am actively restraining myself from doing so.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't even consider this new life of mine to involve NC. Sure, I don't reach out to her, but that's because I do not want to. I am no more in NC with her than I am my high school GF. My life has changed, and things have happened (getting a second job, purchasing an electric guitar) that would not have happened had I still been with her.

So, I encourage you to mentally shift this idea of NC from something you are not doing (reaching out, texting, etc.), to reclaiming your life... a new life that your ex is not in anymore. So may people come and go from our lives during the course of 70+ years; this is just another one of them. And sadly, you are just another one of theirs. But once you accept this change, fully, while ALSO feeling the pain when it comes - and it will come, many times a day - you will not view your actions as NOT doing something, and rather an embrace of the new, exciting direction in which you find yourself.

Hope this makes sense. I want you to feel empowered, not victimized. Today is the first day of your new life. Enjoy! You are free!

OD

Good post OD. I think the other way to view a break up is you're breaking a bad habit. They say it takes 28 days to start and end one and depending on what the habit is, there's going to be withdrawal from it.

Like you, by one month NC, I had my feet back under me. I was still livid at her for dumping me because I didn't have the balls to dump her first. But, more so myself for putting up with her crap for as long as I did. There was NO F'ing way I was EEVVEERR contacting her again. By 6 weeks post break up, I was dating casually. It was good for me too.

Stay strong OD. You will continue to reach indifference more and more. Then, if she reappears out of no where 5-6 months, after the end like my ex did, you can have the pleasure of saying NO THANKS to getting back together.

• Like 2
So may people come and go from our lives during the course of 70+ years; this is just another one of them.

That's all about personal perspective. I've known many people in my life, but only a handful have truly chewed me up and spit me out like my Ex. I put her in a separate category from the rest.

• Like 1
  • Author
That's all about personal perspective. I've known many people in my life, but only a handful have truly chewed me up and spit me out like my Ex. I put her in a separate category from the rest.
I understand. I was treated horrrrribly three GFs ago. Those are the ones that are really hard to be indifferent about.
  • Like 1

And, what pisses you off about her treatment is YOU allowed it! It's not what she did but rather you not telling her to go F-herself when she started acting that way.

I share that because I also ALLOWED my last ex to do the same to me.. NEVER again will I tolerate anyone acting/treating me that way..

• Like 2
And, what pisses you off about her treatment is YOU allowed it! It's not what she did but rather you not telling her to go F-herself when she started acting that way.

Ugh, that's the sad commentary. What's worse, I had lost so much self-respect I convinced myself I deserved it, that it was all my fault. Jesus, I feel like such a fool. :(

• Like 1
mtnbiker3000
And, what pisses you off about her treatment is YOU allowed it!

IMO - This is the most important issue. Breakups are only 10% them and 90% us... Even when lying, cheating and manipulating are involved. Wrap your head around that. LOL!!

• Like 2
IMO - This is the most important issue. Breakups are only 10% them and 90% us... Even when lying, cheating and manipulating are involved. Wrap your head around that. LOL!!

I can't, but one day I will be able to understand it. I know it's the truth though, just a lot to swallow. :eek:

mtnbiker3000

Yeah, it's a jagged pill for sure. But depending on how you address it, it can also be quite liberating with time!!

I was in an LDR when I got dumped. I used to try to understand why I was suddenly so distraught by her absence, when pre-breakup, the absence didn't bother me. That helped me not only understand, but to truly believe that I was in a severe state of over-reaction.

It's all about perception, isn't it?

Stage5Clinger

Good job man. No contact makes the hurt go away. I've been no contact with this short term relationship girl for 21 days Monday. She ripped my heart out and I feel pretty awesome at this point. Lonely but not necessarily for her.

It makes things a hell of a lot more complicated when you're lifelong friends with your ex.

Even when we weren't dating, we were best friends.

So I'm in NC with not only my ex, but my best friend and it hurts like hell.

I was in an LDR when I got dumped. I used to try to understand why I was suddenly so distraught by her absence, when pre-breakup, the absence didn't bother me. That helped me not only understand, but to truly believe that I was in a severe state of over-reaction.

It's all about perception, isn't it?

I respectfully, disagree. I was in a LDR too, but I don't think I'm over-reacting with me feeling sad/hurt/betrayed/depressed. Although you're right that there is an absence both pre/post breakup in that you don't have the ability to see your GF/BF every week like a regualr relationship (Ours was every 2 months), there still was that person you talked to on the phone almost every single day, that person you texted multiple times every single day. It was a person you loved deeply that was a part of your daily life for a year. So yes, there is a HUGEEE void. Sometimes being in a LDR can be as big a void if not more than a regular relationship because you go above and beyond with staying in touch every day due to the distance factor. I know a few friends who don't do a whole lot of talking on the phone or texting and see their partner once a week, because they both live in the same city. So no, it is not an over-reaction in my opinion.

Edited by Bo34
Ugh, that's the sad commentary. What's worse, I had lost so much self-respect I convinced myself I deserved it, that it was all my fault. Jesus, I feel like such a fool. :(

Nah just a fool in love ;) Now the real work begins.

I love this thread. And I agree, if we can shift our perspective from viewing NC as something we are giving up (communication, attachment, etc) but rather something we are gaining (strength, pride, one day closer to happiness) then maybe it will be easier.

I honestly lost track on how many days of NC it's been. It's just my way of life now. Without him in it.......

• Like 2
  • Author

Why is it that I was fine before I met you, but now that you don't exist again, I can't live without you?

:)

Just a thought for today.

• 1 year later...