Abusive girlfriend left me. I feel deeply depressed and need !

Me [27M] with my ex [23F] of 1.5 years, she was abusive and I can't shake my pain.

Please help, I've fallen into a deep depression over my failed relationship. Sorry for the length.

My ex girlfriend broke up with me 6 weeks ago. We dated for 1.5 years and were completely head over heels for one another. The post-breakup has been extremely difficult on me for a number of reasons and I've fallen into a deep deep depression. My family and friends are worried about me.

I'm a stand up 27-year-old guy with two jobs (ER and real estate). She's 22 and just graduated college in May and had a 6 hour a week job on campus. We did not live together but were inseparable every day and night. We fell for each other quickly and we had a very intimate relationship.

I did everything for this girl. I was totally devoted to her. And she did the same for me.

Right before our relationship she began going to this brand new church. She began asking me to go almost as soon as we were official. This church was actually a reception hall that was rented so I don't even know if the church is legit by church standards. I was never raised to go to church so I was hesitant. My mom was catholic and dad methodist. Eventually I said ok and went a few times during our relationship. It's one of those mew age rock band churches.

Like any couple we had our arguments from time to time but I noticed very early on that she had some problems.

One evening we got into a disagreement about her drinking a little too much. It wasn't a bad one, more of me telling her my concerns. She accidently knocked an item of mine off of the shelf and it broke. I wasn't upset, a little disappointed but I knew I could replace it easy, but she hysterically began begging me not to hit her several times and said "just break up with me! Just break up with me!" I was so caught off guard. I had never seen a person like that. I told her everything is ok and calmed her down. We talked and she said that she reverted to a past trauma via her ex and it took over. She said her ex was physically abusive. I said everything is ok and we went to bed.

She always said she didn't have any friends but she started going out with her church group often throughout our relationship. I didn’t see a problem with that whatsoever. Alcohol was usually involved with those people and that never really bugged me, though I thought it strange. I have no problem with people who drink responsibly. I can’t drink alcohol because of a genetic blood disorder. We were official and since I did not go to church with her every Sunday her church friends felt that was a negative influence on her. They said since I didn't have the holy spirit we were never going to last, she disagreed. I believe in God. I do have a hard time believing in Jesus, I'm not sure why. But I've never really questioned my faith throughout my entire life.

As our relationship progressed I began to see that she had issues with anger. She would get upset if I took a long time to workout instead of be with her. I noticed my free time was going extinct. I was hanging out with my friends less and less, she would ask why I go see my folks as often as I do, once or twice every few weeks who live in town.

If we had arguments she would call me names and swear at me. Her saying **** YOU! **** OFF! and other things were becoming common. She even put her hands on me a few times. I learned to cope with her behavior. I never swore at her or called her names or touched her. I would ask her to not call me such mean things or put her hands on me and she would only sometimes apologize. Other times she would blame her past for her behavior not taking responsibility or me for her anger.

She would text me to the point where I had anxiety that if I didn't respond quickly she would be upset. And if I missed a call, she would call 3 or 8 more times right after.

After 3 months she said she wanted me to be the man she wanted to marry and have children with. After 5 months my lease was up and she wanted to move in together. I said I was not ready, she became extremely rude and upset. She told me that basically meant there was a problem in our relationship if I felt that way. I disagreed and said that it’s ok for me to feel that way as we are still learning about one another. She became mean/rude and I gave in and told her after college we could move in together. I felt so nervous and full of anxiety.

She hung out with her church friends and one of the church leaders went to Missouri for a faith healing seminar. When he came back he influenced my ex and my ex's close church friend Cat, the youth minister, and others in this small 8 person group of church friends that it was possible to heal people by touching and saying "in the name of Jesus... healed, feel better, pain be gone, etc."

They tried to convince me but I knew i could never get on board with that. I had three surgeries in a year and each time her church friends and her would try to faith heal me. Over time she became consumed by these people. Over the course of a year it was typical of her to go hang out/party with these people, she didn’t drink a lot in the beginning but eventually she would drink enough to be considered a binge drinker near the end of our relationship. This occurred every few weekends. She would be out till 3 or 4, sometimes 5 a.m. and stumble into my apartment drunk/tipsy. She drove herself…

I would confront her about her behavior and she would try to dismiss her behavior by having sex or saying she was fine and dismissing the issue.

In the last month or so of our relationship she was out with these people drinking almost every other day to the point of getting really really drunk. Throughout our relationship her church friends and her would go drinking in the church, get drunk and play games.

Her church friends would ask about our sex life and she lied to them saying we’re never intimate and she sleeps at home every night. Why would she lie about that? What kind of church people ask a 22-year-old girl about her sex life?! She said that they kinda thought I was a homosexual!! I’m 5’11’’ 170 and 4% bodyfat, I love to stay fit. She drank so much near the end of our relationship that she began to put on weight pretty quickly. from 130 lbs to nearly 145 lbs. It bothered me because her behavior was reckless.

She was jealous of the women I worked with at the hospital when I would tell her about a day at work. “Tough day today baby, we nearly lost a kid, me and Kaylee had to inform the family and it was really rough” I’d say. Baby I’m sorry, Who’s Kaylee? is she prettier than me?

She would often ask me if I thought her friend Kat was prettier than her.

She would sometimes be negative about my family members and friends, even her own family. I felt isolated from them. I began to resent her and hold in my anger. Sometimes I would get very upset from all the held in anger and when I did get upset she would call me things like psycho and crazy. It really hurt me.

One evening I grew so tired of her name calling that I told her I needed a break. She went out to her car and began beating the windows with her boot, I thought they were going to break. Then she disappeared into the night for a few minutes. She came back inside, pinned me against the wall and said “I hate you.” She collapsed and started crying in the hallway at 3 a.m... I brought her inside and she cried herself to sleep. I took her back.

Sometimes she flirted with other men and didn’t see a problem with it. She just said that's how she was even with her friends who are girls, that she was just being nice. When my best friend came back from Germany we hung out and she flirted with him. I felt uncomfortable but brushed it off. My friend didn’t flirt with her, he is a good man. Then she would flirt with a 38-year-old church friend by leaning her head on his shoulder and he felt lead on, he even told her he was attracted to her, again I felt disrespected. She loved attention and she is a very emotional girl. She cried so often about such small things I became used to it.

On St. Patty’s day we were supposed to meet up with my brother and his fiancé at after I got off work. She called me and said she was at a different bar next to my job with her friends. I said "We're supposed to be with my brother and fiancé at 11:30, why did you not tell me you changed plans?" She told me to come pick her up and we would go, no big deal. Then when I got there I asked if she was ready. We were there till 12:15... I approached her and said I was leaving but I was ok if she stayed. She then became upset and started dismissing me in front of her church friends, real bitch like.

I was embarrassed and humiliated. I left. She followed. I let her know how upset I was and that she needed to apologize for her rude behavior. She said she didn't do anything and nobody saw anything. I had to convince her of what she did. After a while she finally said sorry. I never thought I'd have to make someone apologize for ****ty behavior.

When we were at a bar with my brother that night, she got drunk again and I saw her with both arms around two 40+ year-old men. I was upset and asked her what she was doing. She said she was trying to get us free drinks. I'm all for having a good time but she was making a scene trying to have "fun" and I saw it as flirting and disrespect. I maintained my composure and was polite.

We all left not long after. Driving home she actually wondered why I was upset.

I told her there would not have been a problem if she didn't go over to those two guys and act the way she did. Then she exploded in rage and started screaming and slamming her fists into my dashboard (hitting my dash with rage happened a lot, my car was brand new too :/ ). It was so bad thought the airbag was going to blow. Then she started crying and saying "I'm not a whore!" I told her I didn't think that but that she should not do those kinds of things. Her crying lasted over a half an hour. I took her home and tried to comfort her and we went to bed.

We were planning a trip to Europe for almost 8 months. She wanted to go for 6 weeks. I was nervous about going and would avoid talking about it sometimes.

In April she wanted me to QUIT my 2 jobs and drop everything for an adventure. I thought it was highly irresponsible to leave and comeback jobless with rent, car payments, bills and other adult things to worry about. We were supposed to go in August but suddenly June was when she wanted to go. I was scared to confront her. When I told her that I could not go if work said no she became irate and called me horrible names.

“You’re a pussy, you’re scared, you’re too prideful of your job, **** your pride, **** you, etc…” She wanted to pay for all of it with her student loans. She said “don’t ever ****ing talk to me again” and hung up.

(Text she sent after she hung up on me)

Text Message: This is complete ****ing BULL****. You have literally screwed me over in the worst ****ing way possible. This was my dream, my one ****ing dream and you have ruined it. You RUINED my one dream. You lied to my ****ing face because u can't man up and quit a dumb ****ty job that you don't even like. **** your pride. I could probably pay for all of your **** and still u wouldn't go to Europe, with your girlfriend. That's pretty ****ing messed up. Every ****ing day I have dreamed of going, with u, and you have crushed that. Every day I wished and hoped u would be excited that u would even talk about it. But u don't. Ur own family doesn't even know u "decided" to go. Guess I was the only obvious one. Thanks for ruining my whole day, week, year, life. And that's all on you. I could have found someone else could have planned things different but it's too late now cause u don't have the balls. I have never been so ****ing heart broken in my whole ****ing life. **** you seriously. You have screwed over my one dream. My one dream is gone. Thank you.

:End Text

I compromised to do a month and work gave me the all clear but I was so heartbroken by her cruel words. After we bought tickets to Europe she told me not to propose until we get back, until we get some money saved up.

I thought that was very strange. She had always spoken about getting engaged and married. I was not against marriage but I would get tired of how often she brought up when I was going to propose. We planned on moving in together in August when we returned. Her lease was up in June. She was going to stay with Kat, her youth minister church friend until we moved in together in August.

Between all of this was her church friends and her going out with them and drinking, faith healing and trying like hell to convert me to their faith. They started talking about prophecies, she believed the end of the world was going to happen within her lifetime. Some **** about the illuminati controlling the world and how Hollywood movies were warnings for future events. ( I saw independance day in theaters as a kid, that **** never happened.)

Most of this thinking was influenced by one of the church leaders, an older guy in his 40’s with a wife, 2 kids, and a baby on the way. She kept pushing Jesus and faith healing on me. Wondering when I was going to accept christ and the lord. Sometimes she was angry about it. I kept saying “I don’t know, what if I don’t? I do believe in God isn’t that enough, am I not enough for you the way I am?” Then she would get upset and say that I need to try harder. We both agreed that her heavy faith was beginning to drive a wedge between us.

“I watch Star Trek because you like it, why can’t you learn about something I like?,” she would say.

“Star Trek is a T.V. show… Religion/Faith is a personal journey. You should accept me for who I am,” I said.

The last month of our relationship she was becoming distant. I knew there was a problem. Then she graduated. I got sick and she only came by twice in three days for a few hours. She did her whole faith healing. I took meds and felt better. Then a few days later she said it was Jesus amd the lord who healed me. I said it was the penicillin. The she yelled at me and said "when are you gonna believe?!?!" One day she brought food and went out with her friends. She said she would be gone for a few hours, she never came back.

I sent her a text saying “your behavior is horrible because this is no way to treat your boyfriend. My feeling are very hurt. If you don’t want to see me then just say it to my face. I would never do this to you. I feel like would rather see your friends and forget about me. I’m sick and you’ve maybe seen me for a few hours over the last few days, I guess I’ll see you whenever.”

She went out and partied with her church friends and got extremely drunk and forgot about me.

She didn’t contact me till noon the next day. What followed was a series of panic texts saying “I love you, please forgive me, I’m so sorry… etc…”

I forgave her, I should have dropped her.

She was out with her church friends binge drinking almost every night after graduation.

Then my grandmother's funeral happened. She didn’t come with.

When I returned she was in my bed. She kissed me, said “I love you and I missed you.”

Then she said “I think we should break up,”

She started to cry. “I want someone in my life who I can share my love of the lord, you could be so powerful in the lord, I love you and you’re so perfect you're the perfect boyfriend. I hope I’m not making the biggest mistake of my life. Maybe when you find the lord we can get back together, I’m so sorry. But I do love you.”

I was broadsided, shocked and upset. I feel like her church friends are partially responsible for influencing her.

I grabbed her things, walked her to her car in the rain and she kept saying I love you, kissed me and hugged me so many times. It seemed like forever. Then she left me in the rain. Upset, confused and in tears. I lost my first real love.

What the **** did I do wrong?!

6 weeks later I’m realizing that I was in an emotionally/verbally abusive relationship, and it hurts like hell. I can’t comprehend how someone can say they love you and treat you so terribly. I’ve become so depressed I have lost interest in my daily activities. My family thinks I need to see a doctor for depression. I feel extremely sad everyday.

I can’t stop thinking about her and what went wrong. I feel like this breakup is a result of something that I did. I need advise. I need to get over her.

She called me two weeks after the breakup. I ignored her call. I got rid of her, her family and her friends on FB. I haven't spoken to her since. No social media, no texts, nothing. Done.

I'm so angry with her behavior. I don't know why she called but at this point I don't know what the point is.

Sorry that was so long. Any advise or help is greatly appreciated :(

She left to Europe a few weeks ago. So what the hell did I do to cause all of this heartbreak? I thought I did everything right.

Damn! She sounds like an emotional mess and bits of pieces of your story remind me of my ex's - she also had an abusive past, would rage when angry, would be upset if I was away from her for too long, told me she wanted to marry me very early on and came on to me super hard from the get go before she even knew much about me. The end of our relationship was explosive, she shut down on me and the more I tried to pry out what was wrong, the more we argued and the more "I don't know" I heard. Eventually I found out she was dating a 33 year old married coworker (she was 25), she probably was venting about our relationship while he vented about his. It was a disaster, we lived together for 3 months after that happened, she tried to come back a month after that, then went back to him. Then she came back again to a degree, as a friend, and then disappeared once again. 6 months later (3 after she moved out) I am just finally feeling like myself again and am finding fulfilling happiness in life.

Read up on borderline personality disorder, your ex may have had it or at least some of the symptoms .

• Like 2

Also, you did nothing wrong. It sounds like you did everything right and put up with a ton of BS and heartache, you don't deserve what happened to you and she does deserve to be alone right now until she can work through her demons and become more mature and in tune with her emotions.

The only advice we can give is to not talk to her and to invest all that time you spent on her on a more important person, yourself. It will be a hard transition to make, but a necessary one and once you do it you'll find a lot of happiness and will create a space for someone new, someone better, someone more caring and stable.

• Like 2
  • Author

It's strange, part of me feels like I'm doing the right thing by being done. It's just so hard for me to understand how horrid people can be. She had a difficult childhood from what she said. Apparently at one time her older brother pointed a load shotgun at her amd her dad pull it away before he fired it. Then there was drugs and alcohol issues with her family. She was clean but her alcohol use really increased. I'll miss the good times but those bad times were just really bad. I wish I could understand this all better. Thanks for your insight and help.

It's strange, part of me feels like I'm doing the right thing by being done. It's just so hard for me to understand how horrid people can be. She had a difficult childhood from what she said. Apparently at one time her older brother pointed a load shotgun at her amd her dad pull it away before he fired it. Then there was drugs and alcohol issues with her family. She was clean but her alcohol use really increased. I'll miss the good times but those bad times were just really bad. I wish I could understand this all better. Thanks for your insight and help.

Brother, I am with you. I am also 27, and in decent shape financially as well. I loved and had a relationship with a young 20 something myself. She also had a troubled childhood. I felt so bad for her, being raised in Tupelo, MS by two deaf parents and a religiously hypocritical landscape, at times I suppose. She even told me stories too, one of the most horrid being watching her father kill a liter of puppies with a butcher knife. Did these things happen? I don't know. Possibly. The thing is, such women have emotional issues we can not solve, no matter how much we tried to help them. In the end, it seems like such women's lack of empathy as a result of being so apathetic to suffering and evil, get the best of them, and it seeps out and affects men like us who just wish to help them and love them in a way they don't deserve. Don't try to understand their evil, you never will. The only thing you can do is hope they change, and get better and stop doing hurtful things to others themselves and using their childhood as an excuse. You can also pray, which is like hoping, if you're into that.

**** it, let them rot in their misery and feel justified in perpetuating the darkness that has consumed them.

My partner? Yeah, she cheated on me with at least three co-workers and left me with for one of them. After two years, and living together, and loving her every day I was with her, yeah. It sucks balls.

But you know what? You're not alone.

^ Will help you, I assure you.

Edited by Ebannaw
  • Like 2
Fleur de cactus

Sorry you are hurt, but I assure you that you did not do anything wrong. I know you are depressed right now, wondering what went wrong. I am telling you, what went wrong is her and her behavior. Be happy she is gone, please do not get back to her. What you are experiencing is normal, blaming yourself, missing her, the good time you had together, all these feelings are normal. However, you have to remember that the woman you described is abusive, toxic. she cannot change. You need someone to talk to, just to vent. I am happy to hear that you talk to the family, and they are supportive. Healing with take sometimes, but don;t be worried you will get there.

What kind of church they gather to drink instead of worshiping God!?

• Like 1

"On your breast

I might lay my crowded head

In your light

I might bathe in cold burnt sweat

In your mouth

I might feel the serpent's kiss

In your womb

I might swim in fetal bliss

But in your heart

I'd freeze"

^Every man who has loved an evil woman.

You'll never understand it and even if you do, it doesn't help. I analyze everything, always have and I believe all things make sense and happen for a reason. There was a reason my ex did what she did, I've spent the past 6 months agonizing over it. After tons of conversations with her, lots of Internet browsing and introspection, I feel like it makes sense. I understand the series of events that led to the end and the role I played, making her feel lonely and eventually going to someone else and I understand how her past played into her decision making and fear, but guess what, it doesn't change what happened. In fact, it's more frustrating to understand it all and know that with slightly better communication we could have remained a great couple, but she "fell out of love" and no longer wants me as her bf. I told her I wanted to stop talking, but she texted me again today. Understanding gave me a sort of peace of mind, and it really helped me understand ways I can get better, which is important, but was it worth all the analysis? Probably not.

• Like 1
  • Author

I just know how hard I tried. All the sacrifices I've made. Now I'm on an antidepressant regiment. I get so upset that she did this to me. Before I met her I was a straight edge guy with no problems. I'm determined to get back to that. I was great to her. It's almost as if she's choosing to live a ****ty life. Unbelievable really. And so sad. Thank you all.

Look, you definitely didn't do anything wrong.

I agree with rav that he says what you experienced does sound possibly like borderline personality disorder. I also had a really painful breakup with a girl who was diagnosed borderline personality and some of things you're describing are resonating with me. Of course, that doesn't mean your ex had a personality disorder, but she does sound unbalanced, and most likely there was nothing you could have done.

If your ex did have a personality disorder or was just generally unbalanced because past trauma, her difficult childhood, etc., just understand that those kinds of relationships are extremely confusing, and they have an amazing ability to make YOU feel like the crazy one, and the one who is in the wrong, when that is absolutely probably not the case. You probably did everything you could, but she has to find her own strength to deal with these issues.

My advice - read A LITTLE into borderline personality to see if it speaks to you, but don't get too sucked in because it will just keep your mind recycling every detail of the relationship to see how it fits into that narrative.

Make your own peace with your role in the relationship (I know easier said than done, but you can do this), and don't communicate or see your ex for a WHILE. I think people emerging from toxic and emotionally/verbally abusive relationships need an even harsher quarantine from their partner than a normal breakup perhaps because the relationships are toxic, but somehow they become toxically addictive to us, and you need to go cold turkey immediately in order to heal.

• Like 4

Also, don't be ashamed if you have responded angrily or crazy. I know I did. Now, by crazy I don't mean threatening physical harm or what not, I never did anything like that.

But just, emotionally very angry and upset, saying mean things. Yeah, it's best if you try and control that, even if she is being immature and insulting you. Be the bigger, stronger man. And like others have said, just no contact her, trust me you want to do that. I made the mistake of not ignoring until two months after with my last partner. Big mistake. It's hard.

• Author

Thanks everyone. As soon as she drove away I went into strict no contact. Deleted Facebook and didn't answer her phone call a few weeks later. I really wouldn't even know what to say to her. Absolutely I'm struggling to understand her behavior. And I really appreciate everyones help. I'm a good hearted person who got his heart nuked. Everyone, I mean every single person I've told about this (a lot) have all said I dodged a huge bullet. Just wish I could feel that way.

It's mind boggling how you can give so much and get so little in return isn't it? View my public profile and read my threads, you'll see how I went through something very similar while also losing my father - I tried everything to get her back, I would advise the exact opposite.

• Like 1
  • Author

I'll do that and take your advise to heart. Many thanks. I just hope this doesn't hinder any future relationships I might have. I know there are better people out there but right now it's just very hard to see past this.

Yeah, don't belittle your emotions or your pain. Feeling intense pain (even anger) considering what you've gone through IS the healthy response, and you have to let yourself feel it.

If anything, you should give yourself credit for the way you've handled yourself. An unhealthy person rages and makes erratic decisions. You've recognized that you're suffering an intense loss and you're using this board as an outlet, and it sounds like you've consulted someone who prescribed you an anti-depressant to get you through this.

• Like 2
"Maybe when you find the lord we can get back together, I’m so sorry. But I do love you".

Run and don't ever look back! That some ChristianMingle s*** right there.

/shiver

Edited by Gus Grimly
  • Like 3
  • Author

I've had such extreme anger but the gym gets most of my attention. I just want to be over her. I've never experienced this level of pain before so it's very hard to feel like I'm making the right decisions. Should I have answered that call? Should I call back? Things like that. I'm glad I've stayed away for my own good. But I just want to get better and forget about her. Such a waste. I feel like her religion was an excuse when she left. I feel she left because she couldn't handle being held accountable for her horrid behavior by me. Basically I felt like the adult handling the child in this.

• Author

/shiver

"You're heroic!"

• Like 1
  • Author

What bothers me so much is how she lied about our relationship to her church friends. I don't understand how she thought that was ok. As if she was ashamed to be with me or something.

• Author

/shiver

Brother, I am with you. I am also 27, and in decent shape financially as well. I loved and had a relationship with a young 20 something myself. She also had a troubled childhood. I felt so bad for her, being raised in Tupelo, MS by two deaf parents and a religiously hypocritical landscape, at times I suppose. She even told me stories too, one of the most horrid being watching her father kill a liter of puppies with a butcher knife. Did these things happen? I don't know. Possibly. The thing is, such women have emotional issues we can not solve, no matter how much we tried to help them. In the end, it seems like such women's lack of empathy as a result of being so apathetic to suffering and evil, get the best of them, and it seeps out and affects men like us who just wish to help them and love them in a way they don't deserve. Don't try to understand their evil, you never will. The only thing you can do is hope they change, and get better and stop doing hurtful things to others themselves and using their childhood as an excuse. You can also pray, which is like hoping, if you're into that.

**** it, let them rot in their misery and feel justified in perpetuating the darkness that has consumed them.

My partner? Yeah, she cheated on me with at least three co-workers and left me with for one of them. After two years, and living together, and loving her every day I was with her, yeah. It sucks balls.

But you know what? You're not alone.

^ Will help you, I assure you.

Thank you for giving me such sound advise. You have my deepest sympathies. This helps more than you know.

Thank you for giving me such sound advise. You have my deepest sympathies. This helps more than you know.

Just keep posting. It helps, plus. There's thousands of stories just like yours on the website. You aren't alone, we're all suffering, we're lost, confused and complexed at how our life got turned upside down. It can drive you nuts trying to figure out how it got to this point.

There's so much amazing advice on these forums. Just dig around a bit. Please keep us updated on your progress.

• Like 1
casey.lives

it is better for a girl to like a man more.... you made too many concessions and weakened yourself and made yourself less desirable. strength is a man's glory

it is better for a girl to like a man more.... you made too many concessions and weakened yourself and made yourself less desirable. strength is a man's glory

People sacrifice for the ones the love, and you call it a weakness? It is a strength. True men and women understand this, and are willing to go through hell to help their partner. That the sacrifice and appreciation is not reciprocated is no fault of the man, but rather the woman, and this is the weakness. The same goes if the situation was flipped as well.

It seems everything is backwards in this world. Weakness is taken as being strong, and strength is taken as being weak.

Your avatar echoes the sentiment you have thus conveyed here, and the folly of a dying, morally destitute society devoid of love and light in many places of its existence.

"Bitch."

Edited by Ebannaw
  • Like 2

Hey

I know you can't see it now, but you did dodge a massive bullet. Believe me, you will see it one day.

Listen to everyone else because their opinions are not clouded. Do u think everyone is wrong?

I'm sorry you are depressed. I hope you take some comfort in the fact that most of us here on LS have been/currently are feeling the same as you.

Lean on some good family and friends for a while

• Like 3