6 months no contact-Taking care of yourself?

Tomorrow marks 6 months. Its been a hell of a journey with some disastrous post breakup attempts at dating so I think im just going to take care of myself for a while and really take a break from going out on dates. My emotions are still all over the place and while I haven't spoken to her at all and I am completely over the end of the relationship. I dont think i've given myself enough time to make myself happy again and be a little selfish for once. When people say " take care of themselves" what does it mean to you?

When people say " take care of themselves" what does it mean to you?

It mean what you believe it does. Addressing your needs and wants and health is a good choice. Good job staying NC and moving forward.

Don't forget taking care of yourself also means taking care of your emotional needs as well. We all need to be loved, wanted and be with people we love. I wouldn't give up on dating because of a round of bad luck with it. Yes, it can suck and get frustrating.

I always reminded myself when heading for a first date that I have everything to gain (a potential new love) and only risk a bad couple hours of a day.

• Like 1

I made a thread about exactly what you're asking here.

But what I found to be true to myself was: ''Taking care of myself'' means being selfish, do things you genuinely want to do, BUT ALSO take care of yourself by eating healthy and excersising, sleeping well, even if you don't want to. Those things are neccesary to becoming yourself again.

Cheers.

• Like 1
philsach890

Im sitting at about 6 weeks NC and even though every day is **** in some way iv progressed alot. I was suicidal in the beginning and forgot how to be a decent human being. I didnt eat, sleep, was paralyzed most of the day and forgot how to brush my teeth shower **** etc etc.

For me its taking my care of myself as a human being. Honestly i turned into a feral animal the first month. Im now eating right, exercising lightly, closer to my family and spending lots of time with my flatmate/best friend which has helped me so much. Its still hard everyday but for me its just fighting to get to the next day and getting up those steps one tiny step at a time

Its still hard everyday but for me its just fighting to get to the next day and getting up those steps one tiny step at a time

And in time, you'll notice that you haven't thought of life as ''I've got to get through this day and wake up tomorrow.'' Life just happens, and in the end, you'll be OK with life, if not better.

My days are still a rollercoaster, believe me.

But also believe me when I say this: The bright days are getting brighter and longer.

When I have a dark day, it seems like I've been there forever, and disregard any positive days or hours I've had. But in reality, I'm doing pretty good. Let life happen to you, do good things, and you'll be OK in the end. Trust your mental capacity to be able to adapt to this new lifestyle you're now living... Free of your ex.

• Like 1
Im sitting at about 6 weeks NC and even though every day is **** in some way iv progressed alot. I was suicidal in the beginning and forgot how to be a decent human being. I didnt eat, sleep, was paralyzed most of the day and forgot how to brush my teeth shower **** etc etc.

For me its taking my care of myself as a human being. Honestly i turned into a feral animal the first month. Im now eating right, exercising lightly, closer to my family and spending lots of time with my flatmate/best friend which has helped me so much. Its still hard everyday but for me its just fighting to get to the next day and getting up those steps one tiny step at a time

It's quite scary how similar we all suffer after the end of a relationship. Kudos to you for continuing on and pulling yourself off the floor.

When my ex ended us (cause I didn't have the balls to at the time), I couldn't eat, sleep or do much of anything for several weeks. I remember by week 4 saying enough! I finally got my appetite back and could sleep at least 6 hours a night. I got better and better after that first month and new I didn't want my ex back and vanished from her life.

My rambling point is I started dating after 6-8 weeks casually and met my now almost two year old GF a few months later. We humans are tough creatures. We go from the pits of despair back to being happy again in sometimes what feels like a short while.

Keep your progress up and you'll keep feeling better and better!

• Like 2
foolinlove79

It means do good things for yourself...eat well. Get some exercise. Plenty of sleep. Get out the house and do something you enjoy. Ive realised from my last relationship that i wasnt a happy person in general and a bit co dependent too. Not good. Our society pushes couples. Like there's something wrong with you if you're not in a couple. Its nice to have someone but they have to be the right someone. And why should our happiness in life and our worth be solely based on that?

• Like 1