For those still hurting at 6 months...

frigginlost

It's normal. :)

Today marks 6 months post breakup. I was for the most part, broken up with in the most inhumane way you can think of. Yet... it still hurts. I still miss her. But, the love for her is starting to die.

I even busted NC on Friday night as she reached out... only to relieve guilt. She had no idea that I was sitting 50 feet from her and the new guy as she texted me about how she always thinks of what we had and she still looks at pics of us and cries. She continued on how she gets that I hate her now and she understands why. She then ended it saying that I touched her soul and there will always be a part of her that will always love me.

I replied "go f*ck your boyfriend and leave me alone".

Felt good.

Back to NC. It's been a rough last few days.

• Like 1

I feel for you man, I really do. But your story kind of scares me. I never imagined I'd get over my ex in a month, but I thought 6 months would be more than enough time to not only get over someone but also to forget about them.

And damn, breaking NC after six months and having to start all over again, what a shame! You should have completely removed yourself from her life and not have allowed her any way to reach you so easily as she did. I heard that the only acceptable reason to break NC is if your ex clearly and emphatically tells you that they love you and wants you back and apologises for all the mistakes they made, otherwise you ignore everything else. I really don't mean to bash you here buddy, I feel your pain but the mistake you made was that she had easy access to contact you and make you go through the pain again, six months after!!! Extremely selfish and inconsiderate on her part, you should let sleeping dogs lie. There's no nice way to say it, but she's dead to you now. Incidentally, there is a mobile phone app called "dead2me" or something like that which is intended for people who would like to block their exes. It's an alternative option if you don't want to change your number :)

Hmm but this really does scare me, I would be devastated to go through this. I'd lose my mind if my ex finds a way to reach me after six months, I'm planning on changing my number soon so I avoid this situation. Especially when the ex is with someone else, that's gotta hurt...the pain is real.

• Author
frigginlost
Since you were 50 ft away what was her response after she read it

She looked bothered by it. She replied that she never thought I was "that kind of a man" meaning I was mean. Typical blameshifting...

I never responded.

• Like 3
Riptide91
I feel for you man, I really do. But your story kind of scares me. I never imagined I'd get over my ex in a month, but I thought 6 months would be more than enough time to not only get over someone but also to forget about them.

And damn, breaking NC after six months and having to start all over again, what a shame! You should have completely removed yourself from her life and not have allowed her any way to reach you so easily as she did. I heard that the only acceptable reason to break NC is if your ex clearly and emphatically tells you that they love you and wants you back and apologises for all the mistakes they made, otherwise you ignore everything else. I really don't mean to bash you here buddy, I feel your pain but the mistake you made was that she had easy access to contact you and make you go through the pain again, six months after!!! Extremely selfish and inconsiderate on her part, you should let sleeping dogs lie. There's no nice way to say it, but she's dead to you now. Incidentally, there is a mobile phone app called "dead2me" or something like that which is intended for people who would like to block their exes. It's an alternative option if you don't want to change your number :)

Hmm but this really does scare me, I would be devastated to go through this. I'd lose my mind if my ex finds a way to reach me after six months, I'm planning on changing my number soon so I avoid this situation. Especially when the ex is with someone else, that's gotta hurt...the pain is real.

It sometimes can depend on how long you were together, how true the love was, and how connected you felt to each other. Most people say take the length of your relationship and divide it in half, that's how long it will take to forget about them or at least be at peace with the breakup. I hope for my sake, that's an exaggeration.

• Like 1
  • Author
frigginlost

It's all good buddy, no worries.

I'm a believer of LC until NC becomes the only route. I differ from most folks that believe NC all the way. LC allows me to wean off.

NC is dangerous in my opinion. You are basically killing that person. The problems arrive in seeing an ex months down the road. It's like seeing someone who has come back to life. Tough thing to deal with. For me, going LC at first allowed me to process the end in a way that when I see her, it is disgust and not hurt that hits me. To each their own though!

• Like 5
It's all good buddy, no worries.

I'm a believer of LC until NC becomes the only route. I differ from most folks that believe NC all the way. LC allows me to wean off.

NC is dangerous in my opinion. You are basically killing that person. The problems arrive in seeing an ex months down the road. It's like seeing someone who has come back to life. Tough thing to deal with. For me, going LC at first allowed me to process the end in a way that when I see her, it is disgust and not hurt that hits me. To each their own though!

I'm no expert in these matters, I just read things on the internet. But everything that I've read seems to point to one thing, and there's such a huge and clear emphasis on NC. It's interesting that you don't subscribe to this idea especially as you mention that this girl broke up with you in the most horrible way imaginable, I can't claim to understand the full extent of your pain, you've done well to get through this. But still... I am very surprised with your view on low contact. I think most people here will tell you that any type of contact, regardless of the amount or the kind, will only lead to more pain and suffering for you and will delay your recovery process, again especially because you had your heart ripped out and you're seeing your ex lover now with another man, that is the worst imaginable situation and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. If I were you, I would disappear from her life entirely. Six months is such a long time, the healing process should have begun for you six months ago and it begins with NC. Because guess what my friend, she has a boyfriend now and you're still stuck at square one and you're constantly revisiting the pain and time you talk to her.

You mentioned the problem about seeing your ex months down the line and that it's painful for you... Can you clarify for me, what's painful about it, is it painful because you see her with a new man or is it painful just to see her by herself? I really do think that NC is best for you buddy, you should have started it six months ago. Unless she comes up to you and tells you in no uncertain terms that she's determined to be with you again and to give things a proper go, any kind of contact is futile I am afraid and it will prevent you from recovering. I think there comes a point when eventually you'll be able to heal, but this is achieved through NC in the first instance. NC isn't lifelong, you can resume contact if you wish but only after you're completely, fully, entirely healed and completely moved on...for some, this could take years, especially if it was a significant relationship. You need a period of NC buddy, considering your situation I would think that you'd need to go for at least a year of NC. I know it sounds ridiculous, in fact I urge you not to take what I say too seriously because I'm not an expert, I'm merely thinking out loud. I've had my heart ripped out and my girl is now with another man and I found out she's having sex with lots of other men, so I can relate to your pain on some level, that's why I'm determined to stick with NC for at least six months, maybe a year, I need to heal and as part of the healing process I've disappeared entirely from her life, all that's left for me to do is to change my phone number.

And again, please don't mistake my tone as being hostile or impolite :) I do feel for you. And there's only one person who knows what is best for you - and it's you :)

• Author
frigginlost

You mentioned the problem about seeing your ex months down the line and that it's painful for you... Can you clarify for me, what's painful about it, is it painful because you see her with a new man or is it painful just to see her by herself? I really do think that NC is best for you buddy, you should have started it six months ago. Unless she comes up to you and tells you in no uncertain terms that she's determined to be with you again and to give things a proper go, any kind of contact is futile I am afraid and it will prevent you from recovering. I think there comes a point when eventually you'll be able to heal, but this is achieved through NC in the first instance. NC isn't lifelong, you can resume contact if you wish but only after you're completely, fully, entirely healed and completely moved on...for some, this could take years, especially if it was a significant relationship. You need a period of NC buddy, considering your situation I would think that you'd need to go for at least a year of NC. I know it sounds ridiculous, in fact I urge you not to take what I say too seriously because I'm not an expert, I'm merely thinking out loud. I've had my heart ripped out and my girl is now with another man and I found out she's having sex with lots of other men, so I can relate to your pain on some level, that's why I'm determined to stick with NC for at least six months, maybe a year, I need to heal and as part of the healing process I've disappeared entirely from her life, all that's left for me to do is to change my phone number.

And again, please don't mistake my tone as being hostile or impolite :) I do feel for you. And there's only one person who knows what is best for you - and it's you :)

Again, no offense taken at all on my side. It's all good.

I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the reaction of seeing them months down the road. In my case, it really did not bother me a ton. Yes, it stung a little but I had seen pics of them together months ago. It destroyed me to see the pictures back then, but it allowed me to start scarring up. Next to the sting of seeing them sat disgust, so I did pretty good. If I had gone complete NC from the day of the dumping and not LC, I don't think I would be functioning today or for the next several weeks as it would have been like seeing a lover come back to life... with a different guy.

Again, I'm pretty much an exception to the rule. I sought a therapist after being dumped because of the severity and the brutalness of it all. The Counselor flat out told me she has never met someone so in tune with themself. But, I over think to a fault, and when I sink my teeth into a thought, it is tough for me to differ my opinion. When I screw up (such as breaking NC) my believed logic overrides common sense...

She was a different creature. There was a connection I've never felt with someone. Even having been married to a different woman for 17 years!

Again, no offense taken at all on my side. It's all good.

I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the reaction of seeing them months down the road. In my case, it really did not bother me a ton. Yes, it stung a little but I had seen pics of them together months ago. It destroyed me to see the pictures back then, but it allowed me to start scarring up. Next to the sting of seeing them sat disgust, so I did pretty good. If I had gone complete NC from the day of the dumping and not LC, I don't think I would be functioning today or for the next several weeks as it would have been like seeing a lover come back to life... with a different guy.

Again, I'm pretty much an exception to the rule. I sought a therapist after being dumped because of the severity and the brutalness of it all. The Counselor flat out told me she has never met someone so in tune with themself. But, I over think to a fault, and when I sink my teeth into a thought, it is tough for me to differ my opinion. When I screw up (such as breaking NC) my believed logic overrides common sense...

She was a different creature. There was a connection I've never felt with someone. Even having been married to a different woman for 17 years!

I'm sorry for misunderstanding your earlier comments. I truly am sorry to hear about your story, I can't imagine what it's like to go through the pain that you've endured for so long. I'm going through a painful break up top but I've chosen to handle it in a different way: I chose the path of least resistance, which is no contact with a huge added dose of denial. I choose denial because it's less painful this way. Believe me, I understand exactly what you mean about sharing a special connection with someone, I have that connection too. And it makes the pain worse. So I choose not to confront my feelings, instead of opening myself up to the painful reality and instead of acknowledging my mistakes, I choose instead to view my ex as an evil villain which eases the process somewhat.

I understand and appreciate your point of view, it's interesting to read your comments. It's unfortunate that you've had to go through all that, it really is terrible.

Another thing: I'm a strong believer in the saying "ignorance is bliss". The less I know about my ex, the better. Right now, I've completely removed her from my life. I used to check her online profile daily, which was very painful and an exercise in self torture because I found out about things that destroyed me. That's why I choose NC, because any contact with her will lead me to pain, I don't want to know about her boyfriends, I don't want to know about the men she's having sex with. The thought of another man enjoying her for himself makes me sick inside, I always thought I'd be the only one to have her but that was very naive of me. No contact is my only option, I'm too scared to find out anything about her life or what she's doing now. Anyway, enough about me. Your last paragraph really resonates with me, I feel that every day. I genuinely wish you the very best :)

• Like 1
totenkopf

I know how you are feeling mate. Its been just over six months for me since my gf ended things. It was in the most horrible way and what made it worse is we had been planning to move in together and get married very shortly. She had a child too which I know has made it worse. She just totally cut me out of her life I still can not make any sense of her actions. She got a new guy a couple of months later and got engaged to him after being together for six weeks. Talk about dump on the relationship we had. They even sent me a picture of the ring! I have come to the conclusion that she has something wrong with her in the head. Just know that there are others going through this and you are not alone.

Personally I would of seen it like this she is reaching out 6 months down the line so clearly has not got over you (ego boost)

I would of replied something like this " nice to hear from you so long down the line , however to much time has passed and I have a good life right now , wish you all the best "

This response shows nothing but strength from you and no indication of emotion

Responded angrily shows you still have feelings and someone people will see that even though I laughed at your response

I would now let the message motivate you even more to move on but if you did want to reconcile down the line when/if she was to be single again then the control has shifted to you she initiated

Contact so shifts control to you

Balls in your court and yes she was guilt shifting clearly so again more signs she cares still

I think your in a good position now

• Like 1
dangerbang

If I were you I wouldn't have responded at all. It gives the impression you're bitter, a response like that. If you want to get under their skin, disappear from their lives forever. A girl that I treated badly once left one day and never ever contacted me again. I emailed her a couple of times, and a year or two later, and no response. I have the utmost respect for her for doing this, and I still think she may have been the one who got away.

If someone has treated you badly and dumped you, the best thing to do is become a ghost I think. I'm 3 weeks now with no contact and it's really helping. Everything of hers given back and all she is now is a bunch of ridiculous thoughts in my brain that I'm learning to ignore.

Well i feel you so much man and i'm just afraid that even 6 months wont do it for me.

I am at month 3 NC, she never reached out, eventhough i did earlier post BU.

I think about her every single day. Sometimes i have good days, and i think about her less than few hours... bad days though... saying 20+ wouldnt be much of exageration, mostly because i can't really sleep to well.

I also did the biggest mistake ever and i checkec her social media... the most terrible idea ever. To see someone who you loved so much, having better life without you, there is nothing more painful. Sometimes i even wonder if it wouldn't be better if she would find someone, so i could kill this little idea of hope inside me.

I never felt that way guys and girls, no motivation, no nothing. I can't even say I live, i just exist. Knowing that i won't find someone like her just kills me.

But that is life.

• Author
frigginlost
I know how you are feeling mate. Its been just over six months for me since my gf ended things. It was in the most horrible way and what made it worse is we had been planning to move in together and get married very shortly. She had a child too which I know has made it worse. She just totally cut me out of her life I still can not make any sense of her actions. She got a new guy a couple of months later and got engaged to him after being together for six weeks. Talk about dump on the relationship we had. They even sent me a picture of the ring! I have come to the conclusion that she has something wrong with her in the head. Just know that there are others going through this and you are not alone.

Wow! Your post resonates with me. My ex has 3 little ones that I absolutely loved and adored like they were my own. One of them has a birthday coming up, and it is killing me knowing that.

My ex jumped right into a relationship after dumping me. She setup everything perfectly. Went on a date with him behind my back, went distant on me for a week, dumped me the day before my birthday, and was on a weekend getaway with him two weeks later. She then came back a month later claiming "he is not you, and I realized that and I love you". I had no clue of the date and discussions with him behind my back. I found out while I was trying to process her trying to come back. I found out, called her out on it, and told her goodbye. She then ran back to the guy...

I was left absolutely destroyed by it all...

• Author
frigginlost
Well i feel you so much man and i'm just afraid that even 6 months wont do it for me.

I am at month 3 NC, she never reached out, eventhough i did earlier post BU.

I think about her every single day. Sometimes i have good days, and i think about her less than few hours... bad days though... saying 20+ wouldnt be much of exageration, mostly because i can't really sleep to well.

I also did the biggest mistake ever and i checkec her social media... the most terrible idea ever. To see someone who you loved so much, having better life without you, there is nothing more painful. Sometimes i even wonder if it wouldn't be better if she would find someone, so i could kill this little idea of hope inside me.

I never felt that way guys and girls, no motivation, no nothing. I can't even say I live, i just exist. Knowing that i won't find someone like her just kills me.

But that is life.

Yup, I hear you. I feel for ya...

When the break up first happened I was stalking her social media every 15 minutes it seemed. LOL. I think though in some perverted way, it actually helped me to move forward. When I first saw the pictures of her and the new guy it destroyed me... but it gave me some clarity in just what kind of person she really is if that makes any sense. I'll occasionally pop over to her pages (we are not friends on any social networking) to have a peek, but it really does not bother me. I think I do it out of habit and to force myself to move on.

I have no interest in dating anyone right now, as like you, I'm just existing. But, during this time I'm learning about me and rebuilding myself in order to give 100% to the next relationship that comes along.

Itspointless
Most people say take the length of your relationship and divide it in half, that's how long it will take to forget about them or at least be at peace with the breakup.

That never has worked for me. I do not fall in love often, but when I do, I am f*cked :laugh: At least I always know that I have been true to my feelings

I feel for you man, I really do But your story kind of scares me. I never imagined I'd get over my ex in a month, but I thought 6 months would be more than enough time to not only get over someone but also to forget about them.

Six months is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I was completely heartbroken with panic attacks that were choking me

for eleven months. I overcame and done major life improvements that I never

thought possible.

So six months is a really short time when you are evolving as a person.

Six months is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I was completely heartbroken with panic attacks that were choking me

for eleven months. I overcame and done major life improvements that I never

thought possible.

So six months is a really short time when you are evolving as a person.

I commend you that. I can't imagine how difficult that must of been for you.

Would you say you're now completely over this person, was there a light at the end of your tunnel?

I think its sometimes just best to love what was and move on living in the past will never get you to your destination , your ex can always be in the rear mirror but further you drive ahead the more she becomes distant

Live for the time not the past each day you live in the past you'll never get that back

I commend you that. I can't imagine how difficult that must of been for you.

Would you say you're now completely over this person, was there a light at the end of your tunnel?

It's all documented here in my breakup thread.

It gets easier. You get out a changed person. Completely changed.

I got over the relationship and she can't upset me any more, but I would

like the opportunity to do what is in my signature.

kismetkismet
I'm no expert in these matters, I just read things on the internet. But everything that I've read seems to point to one thing, and there's such a huge and clear emphasis on NC. It's interesting that you don't subscribe to this idea especially as you mention that this girl broke up with you in the most horrible way imaginable, I can't claim to understand the full extent of your pain, you've done well to get through this. But still... I am very surprised with your view on low contact. I think most people here will tell you that any type of contact, regardless of the amount or the kind, will only lead to more pain and suffering for you and will delay your recovery process, again especially because you had your heart ripped out and you're seeing your ex lover now with another man, that is the worst imaginable situation and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. If I were you, I would disappear from her life entirely. Six months is such a long time, the healing process should have begun for you six months ago and it begins with NC. Because guess what my friend, she has a boyfriend now and you're still stuck at square one and you're constantly revisiting the pain and time you talk to her.

I'm with frigginlost on the LC over NC. and everything that he said about that.. My mom is a relationship therapist, and i see a therapist as well, and neither of them believe that NC is a healthy way to go about things. That's just something people with overblown egos on the internet made up. Breaking up can be a process... messaging each other that you miss each other all the time is destructive, but sometimes you have revelations after you break up that are helpful to share, sometimes you need answers about things etc etc etc. No contact can end up being avoidance and denial, not allowing you to process the end of the relationship appropriately.

I'm with frigginlost on the LC over NC. and everything that he said about that.. My mom is a relationship therapist, and i see a therapist as well, and neither of them believe that NC is a healthy way to go about things. That's just something people with overblown egos on the internet made up. Breaking up can be a process... messaging each other that you miss each other all the time is destructive, but sometimes you have revelations after you break up that are helpful to share, sometimes you need answers about things etc etc etc. No contact can end up being avoidance and denial, not allowing you to process the end of the relationship appropriately.

NC for me is about damage limitation. A break up can often harm your wellbeing and make you as miserable as sin, the best way to limit any further pain is to remove yourself completely and entirely from the other person's life. Don't think of it as a form of denial or a way to boost your ego or pride, but as the best and quickest way to heal yourself. Continued contact just keeps the break up wounds fresh, it doesn't allow you to make any progress or to recover. LC is something that people do because they feel overwhelmed by feelings of sadness, loneliness and shock in the aftermath of a break up. But just because you're in a state of emotional turmoil, contact is not the solution to your problem, it's like pouring fuel on the fire. What you need is to cut contact completely, as I am doing now and I can say that it's helping me to move on.

dangerbang

I'm nearly 3 weeks NC, that's if you count her sending me abusive messages and being demanding for a few days previous to hearing nothing from her. I can tell you it gets easier this way. If I got a message from her now my heart would go nuts and I'd feel buzzed. It's honesly like cocaine or something. Then it wears off when you realise the reality again and start to come down. I used to do a lot of cocaine and the feelings are really similar, it's so weird.

For me I just have to go cold turkey. 3 weeks of angst, physical pain, and spiralling thoughts. It's getting better though. They are only thoughts and you must observe them that way. Why do people who've been dumped try and torture themselves with thoughts?

Please read up on Mindfulness and meditation. I truly believe it's the solution to much of the negativity of human kind. It's working wonders for me so far, so much so that I'm feeling glad she left me because my life is just going to get better and better the more aware and peaceful I become.

Edited by dangerbang
kismetkismet
NC for me is about damage limitation. A break up can often harm your wellbeing and make you as miserable as sin, the best way to limit any further pain is to remove yourself completely and entirely from the other person's life. Don't think of it as a form of denial or a way to boost your ego or pride, but as the best and quickest way to heal yourself. Continued contact just keeps the break up wounds fresh, it doesn't allow you to make any progress or to recover. LC is something that people do because they feel overwhelmed by feelings of sadness, loneliness and shock in the aftermath of a break up. But just because you're in a state of emotional turmoil, contact is not the solution to your problem, it's like pouring fuel on the fire. What you need is to cut contact completely, as I am doing now and I can say that it's helping me to move on.

I disagree and so do the licensed professionals I've talked with. I definitely understand that lots of contact is bad, and depending on how the break up went, no contact can be useful. However in some situations there are questions that are unanswered that need answers. It may slow the healing periodically, but will help you grasp the reality of the situation in the long run. It's important to understand how and why things happened so that you can learn from the relationship and properly heal - knowing you made the right decision. Going over your emotions with the person constantly is not healthy, nor is chatting every day. But both parties deserve to hear both sides of the story and understand the reality of the situation they're dealing with.

However if someone is being abusive or deliberately emotionally manipulative, no contact is probably best. No contact just isn't the blanket answer for everything. That's a gross oversimplification for something that is extremely different for each person and each relationship.

• Like 1
  • Author
frigginlost

Well, she reached out again...

I was in a line of work that is hazardous. Sadly, a death occurred with someone I was familiar with. I posted my thoughts about it on Facebook and I think she was stalking (we are not friends on it). My post was on a public page...

Anyway, she sent me an email that she was thinking about me and was sorry about what happened. I thought it was polite of her so I just sent a thank you reply with a very brief description of the incident. She responded again that she was very sorry about it.

I replied thank you and hoped she was well.

Heard nothing more... and a) I'm okay with that, and b) I'm feeling okay with taking the high road.

Back to moving forward with my life... :)

• Like 1