My Heart Jumped...

More of a discussion topic than anything else, some of the longer standing and returning members will know about my recent ex and the reasons why we broke up. Anyway, so here i am, back in single land, and for the first time in a long time, i decide to go shopping for myself (didnt go too well, out of 4 items that i bought im returning 2 like wth), anyway on my own shopping trip with myself, at one point i saw a girl who looked exactly like my ex.

Keep in mind, iv gone through the emotional process, the break up etc. that ensues after a break up months ago, but seeing this girl initially made me literally put my hand on my chest as i felt my heart literally jump inside me. Funnily enough it wasnt my ex, and i started laughing and carried on, but for that moment, i cant even begin to explain the pain and horror i felt (by the way me and my ex were more or less forced apart thanks to her parents so i dont hold any resentment towards her or vice versa).

Does anyone have these same experiences, what happens?

One of the most awkward and horrifying feelings in the world is randomly bumping into an ex haha. As a girl, it's even worse if you're caught out and about with no makeup on or not looking your best.

Many exes back, I had a really bad flu and needed to make a run for supplies at the drug store. I went there in sweat pants, a ratty old tshirt, my hair was in a sloppy messy bun on the top of my head (half falling out lol) my eyes were red rimmed, puffy and dark. My nose looked like a cherry from all the wiping and blowing it had been subjected to. To put it mildly, I looked like a piece of sh*t that had been through 2 wars and a blender lmao.

So I'm standing in line to pay and I suddenly see my ex with a very attractive girl on his arm and they get in line behind me ..with a box of condoms no less! ohgod-ohgod-ohgod! This isn't happening, noooo! My heart felt like it had shot into my throat and my guts went upside down. I was mortified.

After some stealthy peeks, I realized it wasn't my ex at all, but I almost crapped my pants when I first saw them. It's funny eh? How you can go from loving someone so much and wanting nothing more than to see them...to being terrified at the thought of bumping into them and wanting to avoid them all costs. :lmao: weird.

• Like 5
  • Author
One of the most awkward and horrifying feelings in the world is randomly bumping into an ex haha. As a girl, it's even worse if you're caught out and about with no makeup on or not looking your best.

Many exes back, I had a really bad flu and needed to make a run for supplies at the drug store. I went there in sweat pants, a ratty old tshirt, my hair was in a sloppy messy bun on the top of my head (half falling out lol) my eyes were red rimmed, puffy and dark. My nose looked like a cherry from all the wiping and blowing it had been subjected to. To put it mildly, I looked like a piece of sh*t that had been through 2 wars and a blender lmao.

So I'm standing in line to pay and I suddenly see my ex with a very attractive girl on his arm and they get in line behind me ..with a box of condoms no less! ohgod-ohgod-ohgod! This isn't happening, noooo! My heart felt like it had shot into my throat and my guts went upside down. I was mortified.

After some stealthy peeks, I realized it wasn't my ex at all, but I almost crapped my pants when I first saw them. It's funny eh? How you can go from loving someone so much and wanting nothing more than to see them...to being terrified at the thought of bumping into them and wanting to avoid them all costs. :lmao: weird.

Haha, honestly that made me crack up, i can imagine that situation and scenario completely! It is that terrifying feeling of what the hell do i do now? or WHY ME! it is interesting how the person youd wait for hours for in the cold just to meet up can now become your worst nightmare lol i think its a safeguard possibly? You know you will hurt so you do your best to this time avoid it all.

:laugh:

More of a discussion topic than anything else, some of the longer standing and returning members will know about my recent ex and the reasons why we broke up. Anyway, so here i am, back in single land, and for the first time in a long time, i decide to go shopping for myself (didnt go too well, out of 4 items that i bought im returning 2 like wth), anyway on my own shopping trip with myself, at one point i saw a girl who looked exactly like my ex.

Keep in mind, iv gone through the emotional process, the break up etc. that ensues after a break up months ago, but seeing this girl initially made me literally put my hand on my chest as i felt my heart literally jump inside me. Funnily enough it wasnt my ex, and i started laughing and carried on, but for that moment, i cant even begin to explain the pain and horror i felt (by the way me and my ex were more or less forced apart thanks to her parents so i dont hold any resentment towards her or vice versa).

Does anyone have these same experiences, what happens?

:laugh: It gave you quite a jolt and a good laugh.

You are moving in that right direction.

Cheers...

• Like 1

Yes, it happens to me sometimes. Mostly because my ex and I live in the same area and he drives a very popular vehicle...make, model and color. So when I see one pass by or parked near me I have an occasional heart attack. It happens less and less to me though because everyone drives that damn vehicle and I know it's not him.

Edited by me85
  • Like 1

hahaha it's definitely a unique experience and sensation. You stiffen up like a broom stick has been shoved bristle deep up your bum and go..

ohhhhnooooo ...really? *resigned sigh* C'MON!!!

I think it's cuz they hurt us so we tend to see them as an antagonist for a while.

I had a similar feeling back in high school. A classmate kicked my arse pretty good and when i saw her at the mall a few days later I had that same feeling. :sick:

@Chin up - that is the worse! when you are looking less than fabulous. You almost wish you look so bad that they won't recognize its you lol

Happened to me once... I saw him and I ran... he chased me down. I just had my hand over my face... "uh huh uh huh... ok... got to go" then I legged it... never moved so fast in my life! lol

• Author

For sure, a massive jolt ending in a laugh at what happened lol hahaha ChinUp you have an interesting way of wording things, im telling you those times are clenched buttocks times! I agree may be we attach a negative view on them for a time due to the hurt we went through.

@me85 omg, my ex works probably 5mins away from me, lives 10mins away from me, goes past my house every day and back to and fro work at the typical peak periods, her family shops in my area, i want to take the time though to say thank you, and that i appreciate the advice you gave me a few months ago, it really helped.

• Like 1

I know the feeling. I think it's just the brain making associations, and the intensity of the pain of reminders will fade with time.

During my breakup, I've disappeared into the bathroom while songs of ours were on the jukebox. I saw a guy on TV who wore handmade clay beads in his hair that looked identical to the ones my boyfriend made, and it stirred up strong feelings.

It's normal. It will pass. Honor the feelings when they come up, and then let them go. Just keep looking out for #1. :)

Clenched buttocks hahahaha! Totally. I did end up laughing after too, but man..it's like a mini heart attack. I was wishing to be hit by a thunder bolt while I was in line.

@Chin up - that is the worse! when you are looking less than fabulous. You almost wish you look so bad that they won't recognize its you lol

Oh I was beyond looking recognizable haha, barely even human. If it had been my ex he probably would have seen me and though "GAH!!!! Burn it!" LOL

And it's funny cuz our exes have seen us looking our worst many times, but for some reason after a b/u..it's a cardinal sin to not run into your ex whilst looking like a super model.

On the flip side, doesn't it feel awesome when you're looking great and feeling all kinds of confident when you bump into an ex? and you can tell they're all ":eek:!!!....oh!..hi! ....:love:!"

For sure, a massive jolt ending in a laugh at what happened lol hahaha ChinUp you have an interesting way of wording things, im telling you those times are clenched buttocks times! I agree may be we attach a negative view on them for a time due to the hurt we went through.

@me85 omg, my ex works probably 5mins away from me, lives 10mins away from me, goes past my house every day and back to and fro work at the typical peak periods, her family shops in my area, i want to take the time though to say thank you, and that i appreciate the advice you gave me a few months ago, it really helped.

Gosh that sucks! Luckily for me, my ex and I don't have any of the same friends, we work entirely different schedules and take different routes around town. There's 2 grocery stores in our town, I have my own on my "side of the tracks" and he has his. In nearly 2 years we've never ran into one another where we live but the minuet I travel 4 hours out of town for a music festival I run into him and his new gf 3 times in a crowd of over 40,000 people. Fortunately I saw him from enough distance to avoid actually bumping into him where he saw me.

You're welcome. (=

• Author
Gosh that sucks! Luckily for me, my ex and I don't have any of the same friends, we work entirely different schedules and take different routes around town. There's 2 grocery stores in our town, I have my own on my "side of the tracks" and he has his. In nearly 2 years we've never ran into one another where we live but the minuet I travel 4 hours out of town for a music festival I run into him and his new gf 3 times in a crowd of over 40,000 people. Fortunately I saw him from enough distance to avoid actually bumping into him where he saw me.

You're welcome. (=

Lol our timetables are different so fortunately its slim chances meeting her, because i come home late, i dont know, i havent got to the point where i resent seeing her lol youre fortunate in that sense whereby at no point will your paths cross haha

Simon Phoenix

A few weeks after the ex that originally brought me here broke up with me, I was enjoying a relaxing afternoon on the beach, just going for a walk and soaking in the weather. I go to my car on the third floor of the parking garage and as I'm on the second floor, I see my ex about 10 feet in front of me putting money in the meter on that level. She wasn't looking in my direction, so I scurried up the stairs to the third floor, praying that she didn't see me. I hung out up there for a couple minutes until I was sure she'd be gone, then went down the stairs back down to the pier.

At this point I needed a drink to calm down, as I was obviously freaked out and going through a range of emotions. I went to a bar I hadn't gone to with her ever, thinking it'd be safe and I wouldn't have to worry about running into her. Of course, as I'm about to finish my first beer, I see a couple of her coworkers who I had met before pass me as they're walking back from the bathroom. At that point I knew she was in the bar and thought "Oh f--k!" I finished my beer, refusing to look around at all, ordered another beer, slammed it and left the bar, making sure I didn't look around so our eyes wouldn't meet. I finally get outside the bar and look back through the window and see her. She was sitting with her back to the window and easily could have seen where I was sitting in the bar. I decided to go right home at that point.

• Like 1

With a previous ex, I was walking down the street where there are a whole lot of restaurants. There I was minding my own business, distracted by being on my phone then, I look up and BAM there he was standing with all his friends. Don't know whether he saw me but I think one of his friends did.

I would love to say that I walked past all suave and sophisticated but honestly fight or flight kicked in and I bolted, literally did a Usain Bolt across the road. In the process I almost got hit by a car and dropped the contents of my bag in the middle of the street and to make things worse, when I was further ahead I had to cross the street back to the side I had just ran from to get to the resturant I was meeting my friend at. Oh memories!!

Obviously him and his friends saw me but I didnt care and I still dont. I needed to save myself, and save myself I did. Even if it turned out to be an embarrassing comedy of errors LOL!

• Like 1

hahaha Simon. You seem so hard and unflappable. Imagining you scurrying around a parkade like a freaked out raccoon. :laugh:

Fancy, the dropped contents of your purse..ahh! I'm sure those got chalked up as "casualties of war" pretty quick lol. Reminds me of something that happened with my recent b/u. He delivered the news, I was visibly annoyed but managed to keep my composure. I collected the few things I had there and left. Was going to go to a pub a couple blocks away for a beer before calling a cab home. Got to pub..."aww fk me, I forgot my purse at his house. DAMMIT!"

Yeah, that was all kinds of awkward having to go back there for it lol. :o

Well, I'm going to keep this thread in mind for when I go to a concert in a couple weeks. I know he will be there, and I'm going to do my best to avoid, but poop happens. Knowing my luck, he'll approach me out of nowhere while I'm in the middle of unceremoniously shoving a hotdog in my mouth and mustard is dripping on my shirt. I am a walking embodiment of "Murphy's Law", wish me luck lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Hey guys, just to update this thread with what was i guess inevitable but extremely unplanned. 2 days ago at around 8:45am my neighbour calls me from bed, i had college but decided to lie in and go later, anyway his car was stalling and needed a push, after about 4 pushes he got going.

I proceeded to come back into the house, and thought hell, im going to college now, im awake, and if i sleep now i wont be awake till way after midday. So i rush and in about 10 mins get ready jump out and go to the bus stop waiting for the bus, didnt even have breakfast.

There i am, headphones in, just waiting around, watching the buses come past the opposite direction and bang, on one of the buses my ex sat clear as day looking out the window, i literally turned and saw her for a few seconds, we didnt make eye contact, she just carried on staring out the window the way she had been, dont know if she saw me or not.

What happened next, well my bus came eventually, and i just couldnt stop laughing and carried on with my day, had a few lingering thoughts but they were sent away as quick as they came, im telling you it was inevitable, but the way it happened was just too funny.