I've been with her since 8th grade...

I am going through a very challenging time right now and I have talked pretty much my entire family's ear off about the subject. I am a sophomore in college and I have been dating the same girl (alexandra) since 8th grade. I started my first year at community school and just this past fall I transfered to a 4 year university. I have not cheated on my girlfriend or been dishonest and I have no "connections" with anyone at the school I am currently at. I have been in love with her since I was in middle school and couldn't imagine myself with anyone else, however just since this past fall, about early October, my feelings seemed to have changed. It was totally random and I did not expect it. At first I simply thought I was just going through a little phase of something and would just shake it off however I still have these same feelings and its been about 3 months. It has gotten to the point where our relationship is starting to drag because I am no longer being myself. By no means do I have any intentions of dragging this on and hurting her because that is not who I am. I am just so scared to make a move because I don't know what is going to happen if we split up. I care about her so much and it's making me sick to my stomach to know I'm going to break her heart, and mine as well. But at the same time part of me wants to meet new people and try dating other women.

I know this is really long but I am just hoping I can get some advice, my mom and dad have helped a lot but it's always nice to hear what other people have to say. I guess I'm just scared to let go of someone who has played such an important part in my life, and I really don't want to regret it later on down the road. With that being said I don't want to stay with her just because "there's no one else" and I'm comfortable with her.

I am honestly torn right down the center and can't figure out which way to turn.

Again I know it's long but this is a very big decision for me.

Thank you in advance to whoever replies.

Brad

Be honest with yourself and her. Realize that this will be ugly. Read up on heinous dumper behavior and avoid it. Know that you are quite likely to lose her forever after this happens.

Offering friendship is a consolation prize and would be torture for her. Life is too short. You are going to grow from this and so will she. Be the guy who breaks up with her with dignity and you will help both of your hearts heal faster.