Breakup out of nowhere

A week ago today, my girlfriend broke up with me. I'm 20 and shes 18. She just finished high school and is going into college in September. I live alone in an apartment and I go to college near her.

Here is some background information.

About a year a half ago I met this girl. She was in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend. Not only physical but mentally. I've experienced them pull knives, throw things and even hit each other or strangle. The worst was one day she called me to tell me that her boyfriend was in her house trying to get into the bathroom to hurt her. She was crying and I immediately called the police.

Over time we became better and better friend as I would help her out. About 4 months after meeting we began to fool around behind her boyfriends back. I started to like her more and more and would drive her away from her boyfriend to spend more time with me. I really began to like her but I knew she wasn't ready for that. This went on and off for a couple of months.

Finally in November she made a big break from him and we just really started doing more things and becoming more of a couple without actually calling it a relationship. I think she had feelings for me but just wasn't ready for something like that but I was. Come January I invite her on a cruise with my friends, only to find out a week before that she was talking to her ex again. I was hurt but took her back as a friend since I never officially asked her out and those were just my feelings. A month passed and I realized my feelings where to strong for her and I couldn't be just friends, so I blocked all communication from her.

A month passed and in the beginning of March we started back up again fooling around behind the boyfriends back. She broke up with him again because he found out. (This was when she called me that he was trying to hurt her.) After about a month of just being friends I asked her out.

We just had our 2 month anniversary of officially being together. We've known each other for a long time so things moved fast. I have my own place so she was sleeping over pretty regularly. We would spend 4-5 days out of the week together, especially weekends. We were both extremely happy, she mentioned how i took so much stress out of her life and made her so happy and she felt safe and didn't think I could hurt her physically. I did just about everything for her and never once did something that someone would say yea that's ****ed up. We hadn't had any huge fights, just the normal small ones when someone was grumpy or hadn't eaten in awhile. Everything was there sexually and emotionally, nothing I could see wrong until a couple of days before we broke up.

She had taken the depo shot just about when we started going out, so 2 months ago. She didn't read the side effects so she was surprised by how moody she was. She knew she wasn't going to take it again so I worked with her through her moods. I made sure she felt special. We went from sex a couple times a week to maybe once or twice, which wasn't a huge deal to me since I knew it was the shot she took. This shot I believe led her into a depression that caused her to lose feelings for me.

Also, a week before the break up she got a huge infection that I had prior. I knew the pain was bad, but she had her wisdom teeth taken out on top of that so she was prescribed 15 percaset pills. She took them anywhere from 2-3 times a days. You could tell she was numbed. As soon as she finished her last pill, the next day things changed. She wouldn't like if I touched her, she wouldn't sit next to me on the couch or even give me a kiss. She even let me go to bed before her that night which she never does. I brought it up and she said it was just the shot making her moody.

Come Tuesday last week it all went down hill. 4 days after she finished her last pill. I knew something was really wrong when she didn't really want me going on the trip with her family to Orlando. Then we got into an argument and she wanted to go home. I took her home and she didn't want to talk in the car ride. After dropping her off I called my friend and he said look at her twitter. It said "Its taking everything in me to not text you". She had written this the day before on Monday. I confronted her and she said she had been acting like that because she wanted some closure from her EX. I went off on her saying on how she could do this to me again. Finally, after meeting with him to speak she said she realized her body wont let her love me anymore and that she needs time to think. She promised she wasn't getting back with him and just wanted time to herself. I'm assuming he gave her that advice.

I was heartbroken at this point, trying the next day to get her back only pushing her more away. She kept saying how her feelings just changed in a matter of 3 days. Slowly we started arguing more and more until I began to hate her. She said things about me that just weren't true. She showed now emotion and it looked as if the breakup had no effect on her. I kept accusing her of talking to her ex and getting back with him only to hear her say no. She wanted to just be friends but I said no, I'm not going back to that. She mentioned how shes just starting college and she wants someone like me in maybe 3 years.

What makes this the hardest on me is that she was perfectly fine a week before than and super happy only to change in a couple of days. I treated her like a princess and how a girl should be treated so it bugs my mind on how she could even talk to someone that basically tortured her and cheated on her for over 2 years. She went from someone that gave her nothing to someone that treated her how she should be treated only to go back. She still promises shes not going back but in the back of my head i think she will.

I blocked her on just about everything, we got about a day and half without talking only to have her message me on snapchat, saying things that would make you think were fine. We then started talking again only to argue back and fourth. I now have her blocked on everything just not email. I told her yes I want to be left alone for a very long time and she said ok. Last time I spoke to her was last night and I plan on leaving it like that.

I'm just still hurt and confused. Does she still have feelings for me or did they just really disappear in a matter of a couple of days. How can someone not feel any remorse of even apologize for doing something like that. Most importantly, can someone really go back to there ex after all they did.

I'm hoping she comes around from this depressed state and she'll contact me with an apology once she has time to think since she was so happy before and nothing happened to change that. But I don't want to be let down so I've started the process of moving on and letting go. If she decided to contact me in the future, do i take her back?

Philosoraptor

You helped a girl cheat and what did you think you would get? She placed her feelings for him onto you and used you to get what he wasn't giving.

Yes my friend, you were a rebound. Don't worry though, when her ex starts bothering her again she will bounce her way back to you to use you again if you let her.

Good advice would be to not put your hopes with an 18 year old cheater. Cut off all communication and cut all ties with her. Take care of yourself, heal up, and eventually move on.

• Like 1

nightowl1....

Cut it off with her and don't look back as Philosoraptor suggests.

She is not in the healthy frame of mind to be a healthy partner for you right now. People who have been in an abusive relationship and still have feelings for the abuser are effed-up for the most part and you'll only be a victim to that nonsense.

Some make it out of it, but it is better not to get involved with such people and especially when there are violent people involved. More often than not, such people will only make your life worse, add very little or substance to your life....find someone healthy.

• Author

Thanks for the advice. I hope this no contact thing gets easier because I'm trying everything not to send a message.

I read until the part where you thought cheating was fine.

Meh...suffer. Good for you to learn early about life. Don't expect people who cheat, steal, lie, etc. to act any different with you.

Next time have integrity.

• Like 1
  • Author

I never thought cheating was fine and she never cheated on me. And I wasn't the only one she cheated on her ex with.

We had a connection. We were just really good friends and I made the mistake of falling in love with her.

• Author

Well she broke 3 days of no contact. I thought I had blocked her on everything but she liked an old photo of me and her on instgram. I had just woken up from a dream about her and it was really early in the morning so it hit me hard.

I feel a tremendous amount of anxiety to say something to her. What should I do? Is it her missing me or is it her just trying to get at me?

Well she broke 3 days of no contact. I thought I had blocked her on everything but she liked an old photo of me and her on instgram. I had just woken up from a dream about her and it was really early in the morning so it hit me hard.

I feel a tremendous amount of anxiety to say something to her. What should I do? Is it her missing me or is it her just trying to get at me?

Even if by some miracle you ended being back together with her what makes you think that she wouldn't cheat on you like she cheated on her former boyfriend? Keep no contact and move on with your life. This was a recipe for disaster from the beginning, you just cannot see that now because of your feelings.

• Author
Even if by some miracle you ended being back together with her what makes you think that she wouldn't cheat on you like she cheated on her former boyfriend? Keep no contact and move on with your life. This was a recipe for disaster from the beginning, you just cannot see that now because of your feelings.

Thanks for the advice, helps to hear it from someone else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Me and my ex broke up 3 weeks ago. For about the first week I kept communication, trying to be friend and begging for her back which only pushed her farther away. Then I came across this website and went into no contact. 2 days ago she contacted me and we began to talk some. She asked if she could come over and I agreed. She ended up comin over late, around 12. We split a bottle of wine and sat outside until around 7am when the sun came up. We talked very little about the breakup, she mentioed how she missed me and dreamed about me and would sometimes drink to forget about me. She never mentioed getting back but the things she was saying were leading towards it or atleast showed she still had feelings for me.

She then mentioed on how she would sleep over so we went to bed and I made a move to kiss her. We hooked up then went to bed because she said she wasn't ready for sex. The next day she went home, we didn't talk much in the morning. We also didn't text much not really bringing up the night before. Just some casual talk. Then when I went to bed that night, I woke up at 3 to use the bathroom and read a text she sent saying that she didn't wanna talk until she went to college, which is sept 1st. I said what are you talking about, you said you had a great time last night. She finally responded when she woke up and said she can tell this isn't going to work and that we should never talk again. Meanwhile the night before she gave no indication of this.

I don't know what to do now. Is she playing a game with me or just confused?

Itspointless

Never save a damsel in distress and expect immediately after - or even a long time after - that it will work with you if the damsel did not make a serious effort to emotionally heal. Sometimes the damage is made early in childhood that makes her repeat the same again and again and react very differently to stress than you would expect people to do. If she loved the bastard than she was still attached when starting with you.

Try to move on and forget her. You took her away, but she herself has to save her heart before she can heal.

Look within yourself why you want to be a knight.

• Author

Thanks for the help. At the time I didn't know it was bad to save her. That really wasn't my goal, it just kind of happened and I feel deeply in love.

Like I mentioned in my last post, she broke no contact and asked to come over. I didn't have the strength to say no, even though I knew it could only be bad. We had a great time, she mentioned how much she missed me. She said she was confused and made it seem like we should take it slow and start again.

Then out of no where she texted me the next day only to tell me that we can't ever talk again. I asked what are you talking about, you said you had a good time. She said she had a great time and that's the problem. She said were perfect and I'm this great guy and she feels terrible because she knows shes not in the right mind set right now and doesn't wanna drag me along. She says she wants to be single in college because shes going for golf as well and will be busy all day and week and wont be able to make time for me. I completely understand that, after her telling me this I was extremely mad at first but then I got over her and told her to go find herself. Its just extremely hard to accept that I can't have her when I was happy with her and deeply loved her. I changed the way she was in a good way and brought out the good in her and she did the same for me. I can say both me and her are a better person now than when we first met.

I loved this girl, accepted her flaws and wanted a life with her. I understand she left me, but I believe what shes telling me. that shes not in the right state of mind and that it was too soon after breaking up with her ex. I'm actually happy she did this before it got any more serious or it led to her cheating on me.

How do I get over someone that I loved and it just didn't work because of timing?

Itspointless
How do I get over someone that I loved and it just didn't work because of timing?

Step by step, day by day by accepting the reality. I wish I could say something else but that's it.

The trouble with helping is that it is often not our goal or even clear for ourselves that we already are helping. Changes are that you temporarily took some of her usual behaviour away so that she could escape reality for a while with you

Soul searching is the best we can do, hopefully she will. And hopefully you do to as you have to find out if this was just a coincidence, or that perhaps you fall in the category of people who can't stop helping as you actually need to be needed: Codependency always wanting to help

You gave her an ego boost. She called and you came running. You gave her some emotional needs and slight physical needs. Once you gave her what she was craving, BACK TO THE CURB WITH YOU!

She pulled on the leash to make sure that the dog was still there. She found out he was.

• Author
You gave her an ego boost. She called and you came running. You gave her some emotional needs and slight physical needs. Once you gave her what she was craving, BACK TO THE CURB WITH YOU!

She pulled on the leash to make sure that the dog was still there. She found out he was.

I don't think I gave her an ego boost. I didn't come running to her. She contacted me out of the blue wanted to meet to talk. I told her that I don't think its a good idea if we see each other. After countless texts she finally convinced me that it would be a good idea to just talk.

When we finally met, it wasnt awkward, we watched tv then sat on the balcony talking for hours about random things. She did some talking about her feelings but I stayed closed about mine and let her do the talking. I didn't even plan on kissing her until I said are you ready to go home and she said can I stay over. The next day I barley spoke to her as I was busy, she even asked for me to come over but I said sorry I'm with my friends. I didn't even bring up the night before and just played everything by ear and didn't push anything onto her. If anything I wasn't giving her what she wanted by not texting much and not coming over.

She is still feeling effects from the depo shot which made her extremely emotional and wishy washy. I think shes confused and still not healed from what her ex did to her. She basically hasn't been single in 4 years, which was the beginning of her highschool so I think she needs to go an experience the world as a single girl since shes going into college now.

I don't think I gave her an ego boost. I didn't come running to her. She contacted me out of the blue wanted to meet to talk. I told her that I don't think its a good idea if we see each other. After countless texts she finally convinced me that it would be a good idea to just talk.

When we finally met, it wasnt awkward, we watched tv then sat on the balcony talking for hours about random things. She did some talking about her feelings but I stayed closed about mine and let her do the talking. I didn't even plan on kissing her until I said are you ready to go home and she said can I stay over. The next day I barley spoke to her as I was busy, she even asked for me to come over but I said sorry I'm with my friends. I didn't even bring up the night before and just played everything by ear and didn't push anything onto her. If anything I wasn't giving her what she wanted by not texting much and not coming over.

She is still feeling effects from the depo shot which made her extremely emotional and wishy washy. I think shes confused and still not healed from what her ex did to her. She basically hasn't been single in 4 years, which was the beginning of her highschool so I think she needs to go an experience the world as a single girl since shes going into college now.

Nah sorry dude. She WAS persistent, but you finally caved to what she wanted to begin with. Look, if you read enough threads on here, you'll discover that if you don't get a text or a voicemail that says "I'm sorry. I was wrong and I'll do anything to get you back", anything else is just breadcrumbs.

Now, you're well within your rights to disagree with me. And a lot of times I hope that I'm wrong. But, I've seen this type of thing time and time again.

My advice, go NC and start making positive changes in your life. Put her in your rearview mirror.

• Author
Nah sorry dude. She WAS persistent, but you finally caved to what she wanted to begin with. Look, if you read enough threads on here, you'll discover that if you don't get a text or a voicemail that says "I'm sorry. I was wrong and I'll do anything to get you back", anything else is just breadcrumbs.

Now, you're well within your rights to disagree with me. And a lot of times I hope that I'm wrong. But, I've seen this type of thing time and time again.

My advice, go NC and start making positive changes in your life. Put her in your rearview mirror.

What should I do then in the future if she contacts me? Its easier said than done trying to just ignore someone or tell them to leave you alone. Shes also not the type of person that would come to me and say I'm sorry I want you back.

What should I do then in the future if she contacts me? Its easier said than done trying to just ignore someone or tell them to leave you alone. Shes also not the type of person that would come to me and say I'm sorry I want you back.

You face the same choice an alcoholic faces. One more day without a drink, knowing that I'll want one tomorrow? Or ruin my life today, and begin recovery again later?

You're really the only one that can make that decision.

It is easy to ignore them if you take the texts and look at the meaning behind them.

Look, if you get a text from her that says, "Hi"....okay. What the hell is that supposed to mean. "Hi", not much context there; therefore not worth your time.

If you get "I miss you". Okay...so? Who's fault is that. I miss football but I have to wait for the season to start. So, no point in answering that one as well. If she misses you, then that's her fault. She doesn't miss you enough to come back.

If you ignore her, she'll get the hint after a while. Do you want to know what the REAL test of her conviction should be? That if she see's that you're not responding to her texts or phonecalls; if she REALLY wanted to talk to you. Then, she knows exactly where you live. Nothing is stopping her from going over there and knocking on your door. But, that probably won't happen because she probably doesn't care enough. Right now, you're only worth an occasional text and a phonecall. How is that fair to you? How are you going to heal from that?

Time to move on, dude.

• Like 1
  • Author
It is easy to ignore them if you take the texts and look at the meaning behind them.

Look, if you get a text from her that says, "Hi"....okay. What the hell is that supposed to mean. "Hi", not much context there; therefore not worth your time.

If you get "I miss you". Okay...so? Who's fault is that. I miss football but I have to wait for the season to start. So, no point in answering that one as well. If she misses you, then that's her fault. She doesn't miss you enough to come back.

If you ignore her, she'll get the hint after a while. Do you want to know what the REAL test of her conviction should be? That if she see's that you're not responding to her texts or phonecalls; if she REALLY wanted to talk to you. Then, she knows exactly where you live. Nothing is stopping her from going over there and knocking on your door. But, that probably won't happen because she probably doesn't care enough. Right now, you're only worth an occasional text and a phonecall. How is that fair to you? How are you going to heal from that?

Time to move on, dude.

So I took your advice. Like usual, she texted a couple days later wanting to talk. I ignored her for a couple of days. I went out, got with another girl and was having a good time. Come the weekend she wants to hangout. I say no every time she asks. Finally I just stop responding.

Come Saturday, I'm at a small party and she ends up showing up with her friend. I'm not sure how she found out I was there or if it just happened. I pretended like nothing was wrong and said hey even though my stomach dropped. As I was getting ready to leave the party, I asked her if she wanted to go home with me. She agreed and I took her an her friend to my house. We just laid and my bed and kissed because I was so tired I just passed out.

The next day we woke up pretty late. We laid in bed, a couple of kisses and flirty talk. We were holding each other close. Looking into her eyes and holding her hand and smelling her perfume just gives me this amazing feeling, almost like a high. Not sure how to explain it. If i went to touch her, she wouldn't try and stop me. Just playfully sometimes.

She went home later that night, texted a little and then we both went to sleep. Do I just play it by ear? Is she trying to get back with me or are these more breadcrumbs.

So I took your advice. Like usual, she texted a couple days later wanting to talk. I ignored her for a couple of days. I went out, got with another girl and was having a good time. Come the weekend she wants to hangout. I say no every time she asks. Finally I just stop responding.

Come Saturday, I'm at a small party and she ends up showing up with her friend. I'm not sure how she found out I was there or if it just happened. I pretended like nothing was wrong and said hey even though my stomach dropped. As I was getting ready to leave the party, I asked her if she wanted to go home with me. She agreed and I took her an her friend to my house. We just laid and my bed and kissed because I was so tired I just passed out.

The next day we woke up pretty late. We laid in bed, a couple of kisses and flirty talk. We were holding each other close. Looking into her eyes and holding her hand and smelling her perfume just gives me this amazing feeling, almost like a high. Not sure how to explain it. If i went to touch her, she wouldn't try and stop me. Just playfully sometimes.

She went home later that night, texted a little and then we both went to sleep. Do I just play it by ear? Is she trying to get back with me or are these more breadcrumbs.

Ugh....dude, really? YES! IT WAS BREADCRUMBS!!!

This wasn't even breadcrumbs, you gave her the whole damn loaf! She spent the night, you kissed cuddled, flirted and by morning, she was gone!! What got resolved? NOTHING! Did she indicate that she wanted you back? NOPE! Did she say that she was sorry and wants back into your life? NOPE! Did she ask for another chance? NOPE! Did she say that she will do anything to make it up to you? NOPE! BREADCRUMBS!!!!

Here's what happened that night. She saw you at the party and she wanted 3 things from you and you GAVE HER ALL THREE!!!!

1. She wanted her physical needs met. You gave that to her with kissing, cuddling and touching all night long.

2, She wanted you to fill her emotional needs and you did! You flirted with her and made her feel that she was still desired by you! You gave her an ego boost with that! And let her know that she still had power over you because...

3. She stopped you from meeting or flirting with any other girl at that party. She stopped you from taking anyone else home and hooking up with them and the potential of a future relationship with that girl. See, she doesn't want to be with you but she doesn't you moving on ahead of her. Yeah, she might have cuddle, kissed and flirted with you to keep you interested; but trust me, she's on the lookout for your replacement. And once she finds that dude that can fill her emotional and physical needs, you'll be thrown to the curb in minute.

• Like 1
  • Author
Ugh....dude, really? YES! IT WAS BREADCRUMBS!!!

This wasn't even breadcrumbs, you gave her the whole damn loaf! She spent the night, you kissed cuddled, flirted and by morning, she was gone!! What got resolved? NOTHING! Did she indicate that she wanted you back? NOPE! Did she say that she was sorry and wants back into your life? NOPE! Did she ask for another chance? NOPE! Did she say that she will do anything to make it up to you? NOPE! BREADCRUMBS!!!!

Here's what happened that night. She saw you at the party and she wanted 3 things from you and you GAVE HER ALL THREE!!!!

1. She wanted her physical needs met. You gave that to her with kissing, cuddling and touching all night long.

2, She wanted you to fill her emotional needs and you did! You flirted with her and made her feel that she was still desired by you! You gave her an ego boost with that! And let her know that she still had power over you because...

3. She stopped you from meeting or flirting with any other girl at that party. She stopped you from taking anyone else home and hooking up with them and the potential of a future relationship with that girl. See, she doesn't want to be with you but she doesn't you moving on ahead of her. Yeah, she might have cuddle, kissed and flirted with you to keep you interested; but trust me, she's on the lookout for your replacement. And once she finds that dude that can fill her emotional and physical needs, you'll be thrown to the curb in minute.

We'll hopefully this is the last thing that happens. She texted me and I told her to stop texting me. She told me she wanted to get back and how sorry she was and how she would do anything to make it up to me. I told her no I'm sorry, your too late.(even though I really wanted to say yes)

So after that, I block her. Next day I get a call from my apartment saying that she was downstairs. I was home so at that point I couldn't say no. She came in and cried and said she made a mistake and wishes she had never left. I didn't know what to do so we just spoke for awhile and then things got intimate. She had to use the bathroom, meanwhile I saw a text on her from her ex. I opened it up and realized she had been talking to him. She confronted me and she told me she slept with him once and that she was drunk and regrets it. I told her to leave but she begged to stay and apoglized over and over. But I stood my ground and kicked her out.

I'm so confused right now, does she really wanna get back with me? Do I let that slide? Like how am I supposed to know what the right thing to do is

We'll hopefully this is the last thing that happens. She texted me and I told her to stop texting me. She told me she wanted to get back and how sorry she was and how she would do anything to make it up to me. I told her no I'm sorry, your too late.(even though I really wanted to say yes)

So after that, I block her. Next day I get a call from my apartment saying that she was downstairs. I was home so at that point I couldn't say no. She came in and cried and said she made a mistake and wishes she had never left. I didn't know what to do so we just spoke for awhile and then things got intimate. She had to use the bathroom, meanwhile I saw a text on her from her ex. I opened it up and realized she had been talking to him. She confronted me and she told me she slept with him once and that she was drunk and regrets it. I told her to leave but she begged to stay and apoglized over and over. But I stood my ground and kicked her out.

I'm so confused right now, does she really wanna get back with me? Do I let that slide? Like how am I supposed to know what the right thing to do is

Man, you are the example of awesome!

OTHERS - note exactly what everyone on here has been saying - that blocking doesn't stop if they want to work it out

As for you, hold on. This isn't over yet - if she's talking to her EX and now having slept with him again, she is still confused and you don't want to be in that game. Keep her blocked and keep moving forward. You are doing everything right.

The right thing to do would be to NC (and I mean real NC), and to let this one go.

Women that tolerate abuse and then seek their abuser are coming from emotionally and mentally unstable mindset. There is no possible way she can manage a healthy relationship because she doesn't know how and she doesn't have the emotional/mental capability to do so -- as evidenced in her revisiting her abusive ex and ping ponging with you.

1) She cheats 2) She is attracted and addicted to an abuser 3) Her emotions are unstable.

Nothing about that is what you need in your life. Step out of the emotional bubble and use your sense, even for just a minute. It's not about her wanting you back, but is she even a healthy individual to have a relationship with?

Edited by Zahara
  • Like 1
  • Author
Man, you are the example of awesome!

OTHERS - note exactly what everyone on here has been saying - that blocking doesn't stop if they want to work it out

As for you, hold on. This isn't over yet - if she's talking to her EX and now having slept with him again, she is still confused and you don't want to be in that game. Keep her blocked and keep moving forward. You are doing everything right.

Well after me finding out that night, I told her I couldn't forgive her. The next day, which was yesterday. She was apologizing the whole day saying how it was a mistake and how she regrets ever doing it. Then she tells me how she needs to tell me something in person. Finally I agree to hear it. She ends up showing me texts with her ex, he was telling her how he now likes guys. He apparently likes girls more but also likes guys and was telling his friend how he wanted to sleep with him.

After that we talked to some but I knew something was different after finding out what she had done with her ex. Finally I told her you need to leave because I can't forgive you right now. Long story short she went crazy into yelling and threatening to break **** and things like that. Just made me realize more how bad she is. I'm not hear to say I accept these things, theirs just such an emotional bond its hard to break it. It does feel like a bad addiction and letting go is the hardest thing in the world.

Since last night I have blocked her, haven't heard from her. I don't feel as depressed as I normally do (Hopefully a sign im getting better). I know who she is and I know shell try and contact me. I have her blocked on everything but I know there are still ways to contact me.

How do I stay strong and not fall back into her when she comes back apologizing and asking for one more chance?