Best way to end a relationship

I have had my fair share of guys I've dated. Some have ended mutually. Others not so nicely. In my mind, there is a mature way to end things especially with someone you care about. I'm not talking someone you went out on a couple dates with either.

What's everybody's opinion on the best way to end relationship? Not that ending a relationship is ever easy.

Always Pondering

In all the relationships I have been in, they ended with a face-to-face meetup. There should be no contact proposition after the relationship has ended unless children are involved. In more cases than not, at least one of the people involved wind up feeling hurt in the end. You could do things such as not offer the "friends" idea right off the bat and be respectful with how things ended but as far as the happiness/feelings of each person, I think that's ultimately all on them.

I've had some relationships end worse/better than others and it is what it is.

Hi Jadedbyluv;

I got broken up with 5 weeks ago after a 9 years relationship with a woman I truly love. The best advice I can give you is "BE HONEST!". Don't be like my ex and make up a bunch of excuses why you're breaking up. The other person has the right to know the real reason you're ending it. Also don't drag on the relationship until you already have someone new lined up before you break up.

Love hurts ... take responsibility and be willing to hurt as much as your partner whom you're ending it with. Breaking up without a safety net under your butt may actually make you think twice about 'working things out'.

• Like 1
SoThatHappened

What's everybody's opinion on the best way to end relationship? Not that ending a relationship is ever easy.

Fake your own death. Really pull out the stops, even having a fake funeral. Then move halfway across the globe.

I'm joking obviously, but I've experienced face-to-face, letters, texts, phone calls, etc. They all sucked whether I was the dumper or dumpee.

At least have the decency to not do it over text or social media.

Edit:

And as JackieOver said, be 100% honest.

Edited by SoThatHappened
  • Author

I agree with being 100% honest. I would never get involved in a relationship with anybody if I couldn't be honest with them.

My issue is when you know things are probably going to end but the person avoids you instead of being honest. I just don't understand it. It's not easy for either people involved but it's just not something a mature, respectful adult would do.

Griesfootball

Agree with all of you about being honest. I was broken up with over FaceTime it was very quick like literally 1 minute saying I want to break up and then hanging up. It was straightforward but left many open ends and the breakup ended up pretty bad because of stuff lingering on.

OK_computer
Fake your own death. Really pull out the stops, even having a fake funeral. Then move halfway across the globe.

I'm joking obviously, but I've experienced face-to-face, letters, texts, phone calls, etc. They all sucked whether I was the dumper or dumpee.

At least have the decency to not do it over text or social media.

Edit:

And as JackieOver said, be 100% honest.

Every closing with my exes was via text lol, initiated each time by them. They never had the guts to face me in person, or maybe they just didn't give a hoot by then.

I HATE text battles and text breakups b/c they'res only so much you can type, all the misunderstandings in context, ugh. I never get my fair share of rebuttals in on time, while i see the other person 'typing'.

As if the other person means nothing to you that you can end years worth of relationships via a couple of bulls*@$ messages that aren't even punctuated properly. people suck.

You would think, at least with mature adults, that an honest face to face would be the case, but not always. Sometimes people just have a hard time being honest and come up with another excuse to end it instead of saying the truth. An honest and clear message is best and that way things hopefully don't linger on. When it's not honest, that is when things get questioned and mixed signals come into play. Sometimes I think the dumper does it in a way that is going to try and help ease their conscious, while confusing the dumpee. Other times it may be because they are truly trying to be nice and not hurt the other person because they do care for them. Honesty still has to be the best way, but again, unfortunately I don't think that is the case the majority of the time.

Ordinaryday

Text him saying "I dont want to see you anymore, it's over" and then ignore EVERYTHING he sends you afterwards.

most people will say this is a horrible way to dump someone and I kind of agree BUT.... it is actually a kind way in my opinion because it will allow the dumpee to think something like "what a BITCH! How dare she dump me like that! Im better off without someone like that" and he will get over you faster.

It is a lot easier to get over someone who was nasty to you than to get over someone who was kind to you. you sometimes have to be cruel to be kind.