Having dreams about your ex?

So since a few days I'm on NC again, last time I broke it we got in a fight over the phone and she blocked me from whatsapp, we sort of made up through texting. The last couple of days I started dreaming about my ex, the dreams could be all sorts of things we did together, it could be us kissing, me just holding her, cuddling with her or even having sex. When I wake up I feel like s--t because I want it all to be real again. It's not affecting my NC but I just feel sad when I wake up like this.

Is there anything I can do about it? Will it just go away out of its own?

Definitely know how you feel. I was having this problem a couple of months back but it seems to have stopped now. I hope yours go away too. I don't really have any advice as they seem to come into my sleep no matter what bedtime rituals or conscious thoughts during the day. And yes it puts you in a terrible sad mood for the day...

Unfortunately, this is just something you have to endure. For those of us who are capable of remembering their dreams, they will all tell you that they, too, dream about their ex's frequently after a break-up. Even years after, sometimes.

Dreams are a subconcious way of sorting through unresolved feelings. Unless you are able to dream lucidly, then it'll be just another thing you have to push through during this tough time. I'm sorry you are going through this. I remember that stage all too well, and I know it's incredibly tough seeing the one person you *don't* want to see, when you are sleeping.

Always Pondering

You're fresh into NC, having only started a couple of days ago (breaks don't count). So yes, it's perfectly normal. As you progress in healing, the frequency of your dreams will lessen.

I don't have this problem anymore but the chances were more likely on the days I spent sitting around thinking about them and going to sleep thinking about them, in comparison to the days that were fun/busy and the nights that I fell asleep excited about something planned for the next day.

• Author

It's just so difficult, the NC is going fine, I've slipped a few times but she made pretty clear (even by still having me blocked of the whatsapp) that we are not going to be anything again. The dreams just make it harder for me to accept it is all over, especially since alot of them are some sort of flashbacks. It all feels so real to me.. even though I know it's not

I used to dream about him too the first week of the breakup, it's gonna pass !!! I promise

supportlove

I dreamed about my ex last night. We were at a party. He seemed sad, stick with his buddies and avoided to talk to me. By the end, he came to me and told me he was sorry that things didn't work out. I woke up felt pretty sad.

What an axxxx! He had to break up with me again in my dream! I see it as a warning that don't ever break nc. If he wasn't ready, all I got would just be a sorry.

bubbaganoosh

I had a dream about my first wife. Damn good thing it was a dream or I would be doing some serious hard time in the hoosegow.

• Author

It happened again.. I can't remember much but I do remember her texting me in a dream, nothing special except that she texts me for a change.. just asking how I was doing :(

To me, this is one of the hardest things about getting over a break up. I find that it really does set you back. I had it a couple of years ago when I broke up with my girlfriend of 5 years, and they've started already since I broke up with my most recent girlfriend last week. Not even sexual, just that we're together, and we're happy. And every single time I wake up and realise it wasn't real I feel like the breakup just happened all over again. Mornings are easily the worst time of day for me because of this. I dread going to sleep because I know as soon as I close my eyes her face will make an appearance at least one time through the night. Hence the quote in my sig..