why do i dream of my ex every single night?! how do i cope

my ex dumped me 4 months ago, after we were together for 3 years. He cheated on me, started treating me like ****, and then dumped me and was really mean to me. I've been doing NC for months now, deleted his number, his texts, all of our pictures, threw out the things he gave me, deleted him off facebook... I literally did everything to erase him from my life completly.

My problem is I dream of him every single night. And i'm not exaggerating. I have dreamt of him every night single we broke up. The dreams aren't anything special, I basically just dream that we are still together and just doing things we used to.

The thing is, I don't want to date him. Even if he wanted me back i'd say no, he hurt me way too bad. But why am I constantly dreaming of him?! It's really annoying.

Philosoraptor

Have you been dealing with, and coming to acceptance with, the fact that the relationship is over? If you are repressing the feelings rather than coming to terms with them they are surely to make their way out in some way. Often times through our subconscious via dreams.

I also had vivid dreams for quite awhile before I accepted how things were and took care of any lingering feelings. I also purged my life and burned a lot of things, but I tried to ignore the emotions instead of dealing with them in a healthy way. It's one thing to keep yourself busy and another to repress things. Once I came to peace with everything that happened the dreams stopped and my overall life was much more fulfilling.