Friend made a comment about my ex

I have a childhood friend that I dont see often anymore. I run into him a couple times a year. The last couple of times I ran into him, I was with my ex.

I saw him at a bar last week and he said "hey man, good job with the girl. She's really cool and absolutely beautiful".

I couldn't bring myself to tell him we broke up, and ever since I've been really bothered by this. I don't even know why but when I got home I thought I was going to have a nervous break down.

I was on the verge of getting over the hump but now I feel really set back. Anything like this happen to anyone else? Any insights?

• Like 1

Credered I have read most of your previous post and you seem to be a real mature guy with a confident personality , don't let this bother you , you are better than this trust me . Probably his comment brought memories about her and maybe he thinks she is a great catch but she wasn't a match for you .

SweetiePie12
Anything like this happen to anyone else? Any insights?

Yes! A week after we had the big explosive discussions that ended us, I took a weekend trip with two aunts.

Aunt: "So. Do you still have a boyfriend?"

Me: "I really don't want to talk about it right now."

Aunt: "But...do you?" :mad:

It was only months later that I was able to explain to her that my pain was still very, very raw.

Mm yeah, I've experienced something similar with a mutual friend a while ago. It is awkward and I didn't quite know how to say we weren't together anymore so I just kind of ignored it... not the best solution but, eh.

• Author

Thanks for the replies.

The thing is most people I am close to already know the situation. I don't understand why it was hard for me to explain to him my situation when it wasn't hard for me to explain it to others.

I think a part of it may be that I was so proud that I had a girl like that and couldn't bring myself to tell him I lost her.

• Like 1
SweetiePie12

I think a part of it may be that I was so proud that I had a girl like that and couldn't bring myself to tell him I lost her.

Maybe she'll come back.

frostythesnowman
Thanks for the replies.

The thing is most people I am close to already know the situation. I don't understand why it was hard for me to explain to him my situation when it wasn't hard for me to explain it to others.

I absolutely know this feeling. I was so proud to have my ex, and I have a cousin who always brings up how hot/cool she was and asked if I was ever gonna get together with her again. I've always tried to play it off but its a pretty ****ty feeling